    Is there any software that does this??
    Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux boot
    CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??
    S Roby, Sep 26, 2005

  2. S Roby

    Dave Taylor Guest

    le (S Roby) wrote in
    news:CcNZe.14383$:

    > Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take
    > an image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory,
    > leaving all other directories.
    > Is there any software that does this??
    > Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
    > boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

    There are lots of file sync tools.
    Karenware's Replicator is one.

    Many tools do what you need.
    What os is the host and are the files able to be copied to a new folder OK?
    Windows comes with the "Briefcase"

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 26, 2005

  3. Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take
    >>an image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory,
    >>leaving all other directories.
    >>Is there any software that does this??

    WIM Imaging can do that, unfortunately its not publically available yet

    >>Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
    >>boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??
    >>

    > There are lots of file sync tools.
    > Karenware's Replicator is one.

    Also checkout SyncToy, which can help you copy, move, and synchronize
    different directories.
    http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

    > Many tools do what you need.
    > What os is the host and are the files able to be copied to a new folder OK?
    > Windows comes with the "Briefcase"

    FWIW when it comes to imaging it will be built into Windows Vista (and
    work downlevel to XP as well)

    Windows Imaging Format (WIM)
    Windows Vista is distributed in WIM, the new hardware-independent
    image-file format. This means that an organisation needs only one image
    addressing the different hardware configurations within the company.

    This format has the following advantages:

    It enables you to store multiple images in one file.

    Microsoft can ship a single worldwide binary.

    This format reduces file sizes significantly by using a compressed file
    format and single-instance storage techniques (the image file contains
    one physical copy of a file for each instance of it in the image file,
    which significantly reduces the size of image files that contain
    multiple images).

    You can service the image offline, including adding and deleting
    optional components, updates, and drivers, without fundamentally
    creating a new image.

    You can mount images as folders, making it easier to update files within
    images, using interfaces as common as Windows Explorer.

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 26, 2005
  4. In article <CcNZe.14383$>,
    le (S Roby) wrote:

    >Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
    >of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
    >directories.

    If you want to transfer a directory and not a disk, how about 7-Zip
    <http://www.7-zip.org/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2005
  5. S Roby

    Harry Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an
    > image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving
    > all other directories.
    > Is there any software that does this??
    > Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
    > boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

    dd
    Harry, Sep 26, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    Harry <> wrote:

    >S Roby wrote:
    >
    >> Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an
    >> image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving
    >> all other directories.
    >> Is there any software that does this??
    >> Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
    >> boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

    >dd

    Won't do directories.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2005
  7. S Roby

    Harry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>S Roby wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an
    >>> image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving
    >>> all other directories.
    >>> Is there any software that does this??
    >>> Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
    >>> boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

    >>dd

    > Won't do directories.

    Yes it will. You loop mount the image and extract whatever you like.
    Harry, Sep 26, 2005
  8. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Also checkout SyncToy, which can help you copy, move, and synchronize
    > different directories.
    > http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

    Nice... it's going to go on my mums new machine, just to sync her email
    to another Hdd in the machine for convenient backups for me(sync
    important data to another drive, copy drive to CD/DVD/my machine).

    One annoying thing that you may be able to help me with Nathan, is that
    I have an Imate Smartphone SP3i, but the Active sync software doesn't
    give the ability to sync the files, any idea why?

    I've taken to manually copying them all, but it is a kinda stupid way to
    copy them when there should ideally be an option to sync my data(have
    seen it on other PDA phones).

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 26, 2005
  9. On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 06:23:54 GMT, S Roby wrote:

    > Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
    > of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
    > directories.
    > Is there any software that does this??
    > Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux boot
    > CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

    Syncback may do what you want (kind of)

    http://www.2brightsparks.com/index.html
    wogers nemesis, Sep 27, 2005
  10. S Roby

    S Roby Guest

    In article <CcNZe.14383$>, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
    >of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
    >directories.
    >Is there any software that does this??
    >Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux boot
    >CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

    Im not after a sync tool,
    What I want is a tool that will let me restore just a backup of the win dir,
    leaving all other dirs.
    ie make a backup/image of the win dir say once every 3 months, just in case
    I toast Win.
    Ghost can do this ( I think). You can use the full Ghost software to extract
    just certain files/dirs but I dont think it can restore selected dirs, leaving
    other dirs untouched.

    I want do do this without running Win, for when Windows is corrupted/wont run
    & I dont want to do a full reload.
    S Roby, Sep 27, 2005
  11. S Roby

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:34:59 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >In article <CcNZe.14383$>, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >>Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
    >>of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
    >>directories.
    >>Is there any software that does this??
    >>Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux boot
    >>CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

    >Im not after a sync tool,
    >What I want is a tool that will let me restore just a backup of the win dir,
    >leaving all other dirs.
    >ie make a backup/image of the win dir say once every 3 months, just in case
    >I toast Win.
    >Ghost can do this ( I think). You can use the full Ghost software to extract
    >just certain files/dirs but I dont think it can restore selected dirs, leaving
    >other dirs untouched.
    >
    >I want do do this without running Win, for when Windows is corrupted/wont run
    >& I dont want to do a full reload.

    When I have used Drive Image and Acronis True Image I found you can
    restore the whole image or just individual files or folders.
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005
  12. S Roby

    Mercury Guest

    why not use NTBackup then? Do *not* forget system state and copy to cd/dvd
    as you require.

    Mercury, Sep 27, 2005
  13. ActiveSync doesn't sync files on a Smartphone, but it will with a
    Pocket PC
    My guess as to the reason why is that there isn't a way (by defaut) to
    view/open files on a Smartphone - whereas there is with a Pocket PC
    (File Explorer, Pocket Word, Pocket Excel etc)

    You can copy files backwards and forwards from PC to Smartphone through
    ActiveSync however

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 28, 2005
  14. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > ActiveSync doesn't sync files on a Smartphone, but it will with a
    > Pocket PC
    > My guess as to the reason why is that there isn't a way (by defaut) to
    > view/open files on a Smartphone - whereas there is with a Pocket PC
    > (File Explorer, Pocket Word, Pocket Excel etc)

    > You can copy files backwards and forwards from PC to Smartphone through
    > ActiveSync however

    other than manually("explore", copy paste), can you tell me?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 28, 2005
  15. S Roby

    Guest

    What sort of files are you trying to sync?
    , Sep 28, 2005
  16. wrote:
    > What sort of files are you trying to sync?

    try not to snip so much, it makes it hard to know who you're replying to.

    Basically anything on the flash memory, my pictures, videos, sounds... I
    have lots of stuff on there.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 28, 2005
  17. Nathan Mercer, Sep 29, 2005
  18. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Its groups.google.com doing the snipping
    >
    > There is no way to do this with ActiveSync to a Smartphone - Not out of
    > the box, but this is a feature available in SOTI Pocket Controller.
    > http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=Products&SubCmd=PCPro

    Ta for that, downloaded, tested, paid for, all happy now... would have
    been nice to be able to do that in active sync...

    email the dev team if you have any sway in that dept :)

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 29, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    Harry <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Harry <> wrote:

    >>>dd

    >> Won't do directories.

    >Yes it will. You loop mount the image and extract whatever you like.

    dd doesn't do loop mounts or file extraction.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2005
  20. S Roby

    Harry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Won't do directories.

    >>Yes it will. You loop mount the image and extract whatever you like.

    > dd doesn't do loop mounts or file extraction.

    Well dd doesn't start itself up either.
    No program does that. So I guess no matter what anyone recommends
    it will be no good because it doesn't do what the most densely
    idiotic creature like yourself would have it do.

    Only a devout deadshit like yourself would fail to realise
    that most programs don't do anything themselves - because the kernel
    does most of the work. So I suppose you really meant to say:
    "dd doesnt do device reads"
    "dd doesnt do file reads"
    "dd doesnt do file writes"
    "dd doesnt do anything"
    "dd doesnt scratch your bum"

    People like yourself only exist so that everyone else
    can conclude that they aren't so bad after all.
    Harry, Sep 29, 2005