    This link does not sort out my problem either:
    http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer...ssword isn't being accepted.&resultType=5000#

    Julian
    Julian, Dec 19, 2005

  2. Julian

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:36:39 -0000, Julian wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I set up a long password, full of odd ASCII characters like: [{)& etc

    They aren't odd ASCII characters, just normal ones. And that's just too
    silly for a password.

    >Now, I understand (too late I'm afraid) from the help file that Drive Image
    >7 only recognizes the first 128 ASCII characters (quoted from help file: "If
    >you select this option, you can specify a password for the backup image.
    >Passwords can use standard characters, not extended characters or symbols.
    >(Use characters with an ASCII value of 128 or lower.)" and apparently a
    >limited number of them (max 20). It does not explain neither in the help
    >file or online support how to recover from this kind of situation.

    If the RTFM was done first, then it wouldn't have happened :)

    >Is there any way to recover this password? I have tried all alternatives,

    "All" is a lot, and if you had you would have cracked it already.

    >but can't crack it back. My keboard is English UK.
    >My subscription with Drive Image Support expired on 1 December...

    Renew the subscription and ask Symantec.

    There is no telling what the password code will do with the characters
    you entered, ask Symantec.

    What about knocking off the high order bit of the ASCII character code
    for the [{)& , then see what character you have left.

    >This link does not sort out my problem either:
    >http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer...ssword isn't being accepted.&resultType=5000#
    >
    >Julian

    Me
    why?, Dec 19, 2005

  3. Julian

    Julian Guest

    If I write down here the transcript of my chat with Symantec
    "representative" you'll deffinitely have a laugh... I don't want to fill up
    the news servers with gibberish.
    I tried cutting down some of the ASCII values (that was the first thing I
    did anyway). Still does not work. Plus, the password is 31 chars long...
    I was using a Hex Editor this morning and typed parts of that password into
    a Find in ASCII box, but nothing came up.
    Don't know what the hell. I don't think they use any encryption on that
    password though. Or maybe some Gregorian... It seems that there's absolutely
    no info on this matter on the net. Ridiculous. I left some messages in some
    tech forums, maybe something will come up.

    Julian
    Julian, Dec 19, 2005
  4. Julian

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:26:17 -0000, Julian wrote:

    >If I write down here the transcript of my chat with Symantec
    >"representative" you'll deffinitely have a laugh... I don't want to fill up
    >the news servers with gibberish.

    Our helpdesk is the same, and the extra gibberish wouldn't be noticed.

    >I tried cutting down some of the ASCII values (that was the first thing I
    >did anyway). Still does not work. Plus, the password is 31 chars long...

    So that's 1 of 'all' things :)

    >I was using a Hex Editor this morning and typed parts of that password into
    >a Find in ASCII box, but nothing came up.
    >Don't know what the hell. I don't think they use any encryption on that
    >password though. Or maybe some Gregorian... It seems that there's absolutely
    >no info on this matter on the net. Ridiculous. I left some messages in some
    >tech forums, maybe something will come up.

    How about this, assume the password , it seemed to be max 19 chars you /
    the article mentioned. Take it that it skipped accepting the invalid
    chars although you typed them in, what's left.

    Me
    why?, Dec 20, 2005