    to reflect the dual boot system.
    I really don't want to have to install XP again on the D:
    TIA
    Use.Netuser.de, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Use.Netuser.de

    Ghostrider Guest

    "Use.Netuser.de" wrote:

    > Quick question. I have made a nice clean drive image (C:) of XP Pro, SP1 and
    > a few drivers.
    > I have 2 partitions of exactly the same size (C: and D:). Can I restore the
    > image file of C: drive onto the D: drive and thus have 2 fully functional
    > copies of XP? I would of course edit the boot.ini (or whatever it's called)
    > to reflect the dual boot system.
    > I really don't want to have to install XP again on the D:
    > TIA

    If only life were so simple. While one can, indeed, image one partition
    on to another, the issues involving operating system files are a bit more
    complex. It has to do with the Windows Registry system. There is no
    automatic transfer of file names from one HD partition to the other, e.g.,
    c:\winnt\system32\... stays c:\winnt\system32\... with the image copied
    on to Drive D. The proper (as well as cleanest and surest) way of doing
    a dual-boot, even of the same OS, is to install it from scratch into the
    new partition.

    If 2 different hard drives are involved, then the scenario does work out,
    provided that the boot manager chooses to boot the computer from just
    one physical hard drive or the other. In this instance, Drive C will always
    be Drive C for either HD.

    If the concern is to avoid installing XP, or any other OS, then using Ghost
    or DriveImage to put the image on cd-r's is the better approach. Both apps
    allow the image files to be restored into their corresponding partitions when
    the need arises.
    Ghostrider, Jun 23, 2003

  3. "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

    > "Use.Netuser.de" wrote:
    >
    > > Quick question. I have made a nice clean drive image (C:) of XP Pro, SP1

    and
    > > a few drivers.
    > > I have 2 partitions of exactly the same size (C: and D:). Can I restore

    the
    > > image file of C: drive onto the D: drive and thus have 2 fully

    functional
    > > copies of XP? I would of course edit the boot.ini (or whatever it's

    called)
    > > to reflect the dual boot system.
    > > I really don't want to have to install XP again on the D:
    > > TIA

    > If only life were so simple. While one can, indeed, image one partition
    > on to another, the issues involving operating system files are a bit more
    > complex. It has to do with the Windows Registry system. There is no
    > automatic transfer of file names from one HD partition to the other, e.g.,
    > c:\winnt\system32\... stays c:\winnt\system32\... with the image copied
    > on to Drive D. The proper (as well as cleanest and surest) way of doing
    > a dual-boot, even of the same OS, is to install it from scratch into the
    > new partition.
    >
    > If 2 different hard drives are involved, then the scenario does work out,
    > provided that the boot manager chooses to boot the computer from just
    > one physical hard drive or the other. In this instance, Drive C will

    always
    > be Drive C for either HD.
    >
    > If the concern is to avoid installing XP, or any other OS, then using

    Ghost
    > or DriveImage to put the image on cd-r's is the better approach. Both apps
    > allow the image files to be restored into their corresponding partitions

    when
    > the need arises.

    I'm glad I asked here first. I knew I would miss something obvious. Thanks
    very much your response saved me considerable time and effort trying it out.
    I'll install XP again and image.
    Use.Netuser.de, Jun 24, 2003