Drive encryption integration to Active Directory

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Norby, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Norby

    Norby Guest

    I have been reviewing several hard drive encryption applications that
    offer the Single Sign-On option, a couple of which allow
    authentication to Active Directory. Safeboot and PointSec seem to be
    the front runners with AD integration, but I have questions on how
    they integrate.

    My questions are:

    Are there any other applications with SSO authentication to Active
    Directory?
    Can the encryption software password be syncronized with the Acitve
    Directory password or vice versa?
    Can any of the encryption applications utilize the AD user account
    information to create their internal accounts?

    I appreciate any assistance with these questions.

    Thank you

    Norby, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Norby

    Simon Hunt Guest

    SafeBoot can sync appropriate account details, such as expiry, last password
    change, logon time etc from AD, and can of course create users based on AD
    entries. Also as users change group membership in AD that can initiate a
    change in their SafeBoot group membership. The actual password cannot be
    derived from AD, as only a hash is stored (this is good security), so
    although SafeBoot will give the user the chance to automatically set their
    SafeBoot password to their AD password to make them the same, the user can
    always click cancel. A dedicated connector service handles the sync between
    the central SafeBoot policy DB and the AD.

    As SafeBoot is also a true multi user system (i.e., one user account exists
    on many machines simultaneously, rather than user accounts on each machine
    simply called the same user), when you change your AD profile, or password,
    this change is reflected to all machines where that user is assigned
    automatically.

    I hope that helps.
    Simon .

    Simon Hunt, Aug 12, 2003