Drive Designations

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anon, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. anon

    anon Guest

    In hindsight I seem to have made a major error in subscribing to Verizon's
    DLS service. It's been a nightmare, but I don't need to go into all of the
    gory details. Currently the line is lit and yesterday I received my modem.
    I sat down last night to do what I thought was going to be a routine
    install. During the course of installing the software you have to input
    your DLS dialing number and your ZIP code. For whatever reason Verizon has
    me listed in their records with an incorrect ZIP code, so what I thought was
    going to be a simple procedure became just an enormous number of program
    kickbacks since their database wasn't recognizing my ZIP code. At one point
    I decided to reboot and start from scratch, bad move! As the system was
    booting up I got hit with a "Windows could not start because the following
    file is missing or corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\SYSTEMced" error message.
    After about three and a half hours of fooling around with the recovery
    console I finally managed to get things up and running. All seems well,
    with the exception of some missing, sundry software, but what seems to be a
    major issue is that all of the drive designations have gotten out of sync.
    I have an A, B, C, D (CD-ROM/DVD), E (CD burner), F (ZIP), G (Iomega
    Clik-it), H (Maxtor external), I (Maxtor external), J (Maxtor internal), and
    K (USB stick). Unfortunately now, most of the drive designation letters are
    assigned to incorrect drives. I went into CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE
    TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>DISK MANAGEMENT and thought that I could just make
    the necessary corrections there. For some reason though it's not as easy as
    it should be particularly in the case where the only drive designation
    letters I have to choose from are K to Z. What happened to A to J? How do
    I make the corrections? Sorry for being so long winded.

    anon, Jan 8, 2004

  2. anon

    °Mike° Guest

    HOW TO Change Drive Letter Assignments in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:13:04 -0500, in
    <>
    anon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 8, 2004

  3. anon

    Trax Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:13:04 -0500, "anon" <> wrote:

    |>In hindsight I seem to have made a major error in subscribing to Verizon's
    |>DLS service. It's been a nightmare, but I don't need to go into all of the
    |>gory details. Currently the line is lit and yesterday I received my modem.
    |>I sat down last night to do what I thought was going to be a routine
    |>install. During the course of installing the software you have to input
    |>your DLS dialing number and your ZIP code. For whatever reason Verizon has
    |>me listed in their records with an incorrect ZIP code, so what I thought was
    |>going to be a simple procedure became just an enormous number of program
    |>kickbacks since their database wasn't recognizing my ZIP code. At one point
    |>I decided to reboot and start from scratch, bad move! As the system was
    |>booting up I got hit with a "Windows could not start because the following
    |>file is missing or corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\SYSTEMced" error message.
    |>After about three and a half hours of fooling around with the recovery
    |>console I finally managed to get things up and running. All seems well,
    |>with the exception of some missing, sundry software, but what seems to be a
    |>major issue is that all of the drive designations have gotten out of sync.
    |>I have an A, B, C, D (CD-ROM/DVD), E (CD burner), F (ZIP), G (Iomega
    |>Clik-it), H (Maxtor external), I (Maxtor external), J (Maxtor internal), and
    |>K (USB stick). Unfortunately now, most of the drive designation letters are
    |>assigned to incorrect drives. I went into CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE
    |>TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>DISK MANAGEMENT and thought that I could just make
    |>the necessary corrections there. For some reason though it's not as easy as
    |>it should be particularly in the case where the only drive designation
    |>letters I have to choose from are K to Z. What happened to A to J? How do
    |>I make the corrections? Sorry for being so long winded.

    I had to change drive designations before, and how I had to go about it was:

    change one drive to an unused letter reboot
    change another drive to the now open letter
    change one drive to an unused letter reboot

    change another drive to the now open letter
    change one drive to an unused letter reboot

    change another drive to the now open letter
    change one drive to an unused letter reboot

    get the idea....

    I'm very sure there are easier ways to do this, but it's how I had to do it.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w A Meltdown? One of those annoying buzzwords.

    Trax, Jan 9, 2004