drive data recovery

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by michael k, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. michael k

    michael k Guest

    Laptop running XP PROFF has displayed a whole page of info regarding some
    sort of fault and suggests that the computer be switched off. Before
    switchin off a further message appears at the bottom of the screen sayin
    something along the lines of "dumping physical memory".

    The computer is then switched off and when switched on again a message comes
    up sayin that the operating system cannot be found. Access to the BIOS is
    still possible.

    The computer is taken to a repair shop and the drive is diagnosed as faulty
    and replaced.

    The user had had an external drive plugged into the computer when the fault
    occured.

    On plugging the external drive into the new the user finds that no data can
    be recovered but new data can be written and read.

    Is there anyyhing that can be done via XP to reccover all or part of the
    old data (assuming that user has not overwritten it!)?

    Are there any free downloads that might be used to try and recover
    lost/unreadable data.

    michael k, Nov 28, 2007

  2. michael k

    meerkat Guest

    "michael k" <> wrote in message
    > Laptop running XP PROFF has displayed a whole page of info regarding some
    > sort of fault and suggests that the computer be switched off. Before
    > switchin off a further message appears at the bottom of the screen sayin
    > something along the lines of "dumping physical memory".
    >
    > The computer is then switched off and when switched on again a message
    > comes up sayin that the operating system cannot be found. Access to the
    > BIOS is still possible.
    >
    > The computer is taken to a repair shop and the drive is diagnosed as
    > faulty and replaced.
    >
    > The user had had an external drive plugged into the computer when the
    > fault occured.
    >
    > On plugging the external drive into the new the user finds that no data
    > can be recovered but new data can be written and read.
    >
    > Is there anyyhing that can be done via XP to reccover all or part of the
    > old data (assuming that user has not overwritten it!)?
    >
    > Are there any free downloads that might be used to try and recover
    > lost/unreadable data.

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pcinspector.html

    Should help.

    bw..

    meerkat, Nov 28, 2007

  3. michael k

    thanatoid Guest

    Damaged drive data recovery is usually a very expensive
    proposition.

    I accidentally found this site

    http://woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.htm

    a few days ago and it has the only free data recovery program I
    have ever run across. Mid-page, IIRC.

    It may or may not work on XP, NTFS or not, but it is certainly
    worth a try if you want to avoid spending hundreds of dollars on
    software or a specialized service.

    BTW, I suggest you backup your important data on CD-R's (which
    are a quarter apiece) in the future.

    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2007
  4. michael k

    Guest

    , Nov 28, 2007
  5. michael k

    Guest

    Get hold of this recovery utility,Stellar Phoenix Windows Data
    Recovery Software, fit for both FAT & NTFS files system. This utility
    is going to help you out in recovering lost data. Attaching your hard
    drive as slave and scan it using this tool. Scan result will show you
    the preview of your recovered data. If you are able to see the preview
    then can easily save your data by getting the full version of the
    software.

    , Nov 29, 2007