Drive caddy and modem problem (not connected!)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by berksposter, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. berksposter

    berksposter Guest

    Hi, two problems,

    Can anyone tell me a good place to get a drive caddy in the UK? I want to
    use two hdd's on my comp to have different os's etc without having to dual
    boot. We have some at work , you have a drive bay fitting and a case that
    goes round the hdd and allows you to slot it into the bay, but they dont
    know where they got them from.! I saw one in a shop in Weymouth the other
    day, they only had one, and they didnt have any spare caddies! Am I going to
    have to buy two complete kits and have a spare bay fitting or does anyone
    know where to get the bay fitting and two caddies from?
    I've looked on Dabs but cant find anything, does anyone know where? in the
    Uk! (mailorder preferably)

    Second, I have the latest issue of Redhat Linux running upstairs but it
    doesnt seem to see my modem, I think its a softmodem which is why its having
    problems. I think it needs a hayes compatible hardware modem, does anyone
    have a modem they can recommend to work with linux and also give me a
    location to get one (mail order preferably) in the UK?

    Thanks,
    BP
    berksposter, Aug 24, 2003

  2. berksposter

    berksposter Guest

    Thanks for the help, i'm gonna get a caddy, but regards the modem, i was
    hoping someone could give me details of a specific modem which they have,
    which is recognised automatically by linux (the latest distros) and needs no
    setting up, and preferably where in the uk to get it from.
    Thanks
    BP

    berksposter, Aug 24, 2003

  3. berksposter

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:20:48 +0100, berksposter wrote:

    >Hi, two problems,
    >
    >Can anyone tell me a good place to get a drive caddy in the UK? I want to
    >use two hdd's on my comp to have different os's etc without having to dual

    <snip>

    Maplin , lots of local computer dealers a fairly common item.
    www.google.com -
    Searched the web for
    uk hard disk caddy.

    Searched the web for
    uk hard disk caddy mail order.
    Results 1 - 25 of about 758. Search took 0.16 seconds.

    >Second, I have the latest issue of Redhat Linux running upstairs but it
    >doesnt seem to see my modem, I think its a softmodem which is why its having

    Using www.google.com again -

    http://www.linmodems.org/
    Linux Winmodem Support
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/index.php

    without using www.google.com -
    www.redhat.com
    http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Conexant Rockwell-modem-HOWTO/index.html
    http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO.html
    http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO.html

    >problems. I think it needs a hayes compatible hardware modem, does anyone
    >have a modem they can recommend to work with linux and also give me a

    <snip>

    Buy a computer magazine, with lots of ads and find a mail order seller.
    Ask about vendors here news://uk.comp.vendors

    Me
    why?, Aug 24, 2003
  4. berksposter

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:05:22 +0100, berksposter wrote:

    >Thanks for the help, i'm gonna get a caddy, but regards the modem, i was
    >hoping someone could give me details of a specific modem which they have,

    Well you did ask 2 questions and got a good 1st part answer.

    >which is recognised automatically by linux (the latest distros) and needs no
    >setting up, and preferably where in the uk to get it from.
    >Thanks
    >BP
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.maplin.co.uk/
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q="drive caddy" site:uk
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q="hardware modem" site:uk
    >>

    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:20:48 +0100, in
    >> <qQ32b.3294$>
    >> berksposter scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Hi, two problems,
    >> >
    >> >Can anyone tell me a good place to get a drive caddy in the UK? I want to
    >> >use two hdd's on my comp to have different os's etc without having to

    >dual

    <snip>

    why?, Aug 24, 2003
  5. berksposter

    berksposter Guest

    Thanks, that might help getting my winmodem going, but i'm not much good
    with linux (trying to learn! as i think "its the future"!) so i think i
    might lose a lot of hair as linux seems to get pretty "technical" in places
    compared to windows, but that probably only cos i'm used to windows.
    BP

    http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Hardware_Support/Modems/

    berksposter, Aug 24, 2003
  6. berksposter

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:16:10 +0100, berksposter wrote:

    >Thanks, that might help getting my winmodem going, but i'm not much good
    >with linux (trying to learn! as i think "its the future"!) so i think i

    It's the future? Oh well..

    Try asking on the mailing list of a Local Linux User group
    http://www.lug.org.uk/

    Or even Linux magazine online forums, FAQs , links -
    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/
    http://www.linux-mag.com/
    http://www.linux-magazine.com/
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/

    >might lose a lot of hair as linux seems to get pretty "technical" in places
    >compared to windows, but that probably only cos i'm used to windows.

    The basic install and setup is pretty much the same for RH/ Mandrake
    hardware detection, select software to install.

    why?, Aug 24, 2003
  7. berksposter

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as berksposter continued:

    > Hi, two problems,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me a good place to get a drive caddy in the UK?

    Most computer fairs have them. I have 3 here, but unfortunately 1 is not
    compatible, so make sure you get the same brand.
    Maplins also stock them :)
    --
    slumpy
    no more