    I hope somebody who may have had this type of problem or may know the
    cause or how it may be fixed may be able to help me.
    Regards, salterre.

    salterre, Nov 24, 2005

  2. salterre

    Brian Guest

    "salterre" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > When booting from the floppy drive and I try to access drive C: I get
    > the message: "invalid drive specification"; There is no way that I can
    > access C: from A:, yet everything is OK within the Windows XP
    > environment, both drives are accessible from one another.
    > Also a Maxtor 3100 external drive that was working OK has stopped being
    > recognised by the system, I get the message "USB device not
    > recognised..."; in device manager any USB port to which the external
    > drive may be connected is marked "Unknown device". Every other device
    > attached to any USB port is working properly.
    > I am not quite sure but I became aware of this problem soon after I
    > installed "Norton Go Back".
    > I hope somebody who may have had this type of problem or may know the
    > cause or how it may be fixed may be able to help me.
    > Regards, salterre.

    clue: norton.

    Brian, Nov 24, 2005

  3. salterre

    philo Guest

    "salterre" <> wrote in message
    > When booting from the floppy drive and I try to access drive C: I get
    > the message: "invalid drive specification"; There is no way that I can
    > access C: from A:, yet everything is OK within the Windows XP
    > environment, both drives are accessible from one another.
    > Also a Maxtor 3100 external drive that was working OK has stopped being
    > recognised by the system, I get the message "USB device not
    > recognised..."; in device manager any USB port to which the external
    > drive may be connected is marked "Unknown device". Every other device
    > attached to any USB port is working properly.
    > I am not quite sure but I became aware of this problem soon after I
    > installed "Norton Go Back".

    Firts off...
    if XP is installed on an NTFS partition...
    you would not be able to access it from your dos boot disk.

    If XP is installed on a fat32 partition...
    you normaly could access it from a dos boot disk...
    but once you install "Go Back" the partition type is changed to
    a "Go Back" partition and that would prob. explain your lack of access

    philo, Nov 24, 2005
  4. salterre

    salterre Guest

    Brian,
    thanks for your suggestion, I think that norton is too invasive.
    Trying to solve the problem, I reinstalled winxp without norton and
    also updated the BIOS but the problem still persists; windows will not
    recognise the external drive. if norton is the cause of the problem, it
    must have altered something that was not affected by the
    re-installation of windows ??
    What ??
    regards, salterre.

    salterre, Nov 24, 2005
  5. salterre

    > Brian,
    > thanks for your suggestion, I think that norton is too invasive.
    > Trying to solve the problem, I reinstalled winxp without norton and
    > also updated the BIOS but the problem still persists; windows will not
    > recognise the external drive. if norton is the cause of the problem, it
    > must have altered something that was not affected by the
    > re-installation of windows ??
    > What ??
    > regards, salterre.

    did you do a clean install?

    Brian, Nov 24, 2005
  6. salterre

    salterre Guest

    philo,
    you are right, fat32 and NTFS are far apart, that explains one problem.
    The problem with the "not recognition" of the external hard drive still
    persists even after I re-formatted the hard drive, re-installed win xp
    without norton "systemworks" and updated the BIOS.
    the Maxtor 3100 external drive is a "plug and play" device, to test it
    I connected it to another computer (win 98 se) and it did work OK with
    a downloaded driver.
    my knowledge is not good enough and I just can not figure out where the
    fault is and what to do next.
    I would appreciate any further suggestions.
    regards, salterre.

    salterre, Nov 24, 2005
  7. salterre

    salterre Guest

    Brian,
    I formatted the hard disk, I had problems re-installing win xp, because
    of a missing or corrupted file, I tried with the floppies and with the
    CD with no result.
    I had to install win 98 and then install win xp from and over win 98.
    The installation was OK and everything is working fine as far as I can
    see, except the recognition of the external plug and play hard drive.
    regards,salterre

    salterre, Nov 24, 2005
  8. salterre

    > Brian,
    > I formatted the hard disk, I had problems re-installing win xp, because
    > of a missing or corrupted file, I tried with the floppies and with the
    > CD with no result.
    > I had to install win 98 and then install win xp from and over win 98.
    > The installation was OK and everything is working fine as far as I can
    > see, except the recognition of the external plug and play hard drive.
    > regards,salterre

    install sp1 (contains many pnp drivers) then carry out a windows update..
    exclude sp2 for now.

    other than that i would try either use a 3rd party driver of some sort to
    maybe get it recognised or format it using the 98 machine it worked on.
    norten has definately messed something up on that drive aswell by the looks
    of it.

    Brian, Nov 24, 2005
  9. salterre

    salterre Guest

    Brian,
    I have already re-installed win xp + SP1 with negative result. If I can
    not find a solution, I will have to follow your suggestion.
    regards, salterre.

    salterre, Nov 24, 2005
  10. salterre

    Michael Guest

    Have you tried the Norton website for help ?

    --
    Regards Michael.

    Michael, Nov 24, 2005
  11. salterre

    salterre Guest

    I tried Symantec at about 4 in the morning, the support site was
    closed, I will try again.
    regards, salterre.

    salterre, Nov 24, 2005
  12. salterre

    Frank Guest

    "salterre" <> wrote in message
    > Brian,
    > thanks for your suggestion, I think that norton is too invasive.
    > Trying to solve the problem, I reinstalled winxp without norton and
    > also updated the BIOS but the problem still persists; windows will not
    > recognise the external drive. if norton is the cause of the problem, it
    > must have altered something that was not affected by the
    > re-installation of windows ??
    > What ??
    > regards, salterre.

    The external drive is USB correct? What version? 1.0,1.1,2.0. Some external
    drives require more power than the USB port puts out. You may have to buy a
    4 port USB which runs off of a 12 volt transformer. 1 line goes to your
    current USB from your system. From there you have 3 powered USB lines to
    work with.

    Normally USB line voltages are the folowing:
    USB 1.0 200Ma
    USB 1.1 250Ma
    USB 2.0 300Ma

    If your drive pulls more than 75% of the lines rated voltage your USb
    powered drive won't work or will not be sen by the PNP sysytem of your
    computer.

    Frank

    Frank, Nov 24, 2005
  13. salterre

    old man Guest

    Check you Event Logs

    old man, Nov 25, 2005
  14. salterre

    salterre Guest

    Frank,
    I have 6 USB ports, only the external drive and the mouse are on most
    of the time, the scanner and the printer are seldom used, all the
    devices have their own power supply, two ports are not used so I doubt
    that power may be the problem.
    I appreciate your help and I am open to more suggestions.
    regards, salterre.

    salterre, Nov 25, 2005
  15. salterre

    salterre Guest

    thanks for the suggestion; If the Event Logs are supposed to be in
    C:\Windows\System32, I could not find them. I am only superficially
    conversant with the inner systems of the computer.
    Even if I could find the Logs, I would not know what to do or what to
    look for.
    Regards, salterre.

    salterre, Nov 28, 2005