    If I put my Canon 24-80mm (conventional 35mm) lens in the dRebel?...
    Can i take 24mm pictures?... (always talking in measures in 35mm)...

    Thanks in advance!!..

    PnP!, Aug 30, 2004

  2. PnP!

    Charles Guest

    On 30 Aug 2004 00:55:35 -0700, (PnP!) wrote:

    >I've been reading about the Canon Digital Rebel, but I didn't make clear this:
    >
    >what about the 1.6 multiplying factor of the digital rebel?
    >
    >If I put my Canon 24-80mm (conventional 35mm) lens in the dRebel?...
    >Can i take 24mm pictures?... (always talking in measures in 35mm)...
    >
    >Thanks in advance!!..

    Your pictures will appear as if they had been taken with a lens 1.6
    times longer.

    in the case of 24-80, multiply by 1.6.

    The same as if using a 38-128 mm lens with film.

    --

    - Charles
    -

    Charles, Aug 30, 2004

  3. "PnP!" <> wrote in message
    > I've been reading about the Canon Digital Rebel, but I didn't make clear

    this:

    > what about the 1.6 multiplying factor of the digital rebel?
    >
    > If I put my Canon 24-80mm (conventional 35mm) lens in the dRebel?...
    > Can i take 24mm pictures?... (always talking in measures in 35mm)...
    >
    > Thanks in advance!!..

    Yes the lens stays a 24~80, but is cropped by 40% It's like making an 8x12"
    print and cutting the center 5x7.5' out of it. to match the FOV (Field of
    View) of your 24~80 you'll need a 15~50mm zoom, the closest lens Canon makes
    is 16~35.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 30, 2004
  4. PnP!

    HRosita Guest

    > (PnP!) wrote:

    >I've been reading about the Canon Digital Rebel, but I didn't make clear
    >this:
    >
    >what about the 1.6 multiplying factor of the digital rebel?

    Hi,

    If you have a 24mm lens, you multiply 24mm by 1.6 to get the lens' capability
    when mounted on a digital camera. So 24mm would be as if you had a lens made
    for digital of 38.4 mm.
    This is nice for zooms because the 80mm becomes 128mm.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 30, 2004
  5. "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    > > (PnP!) wrote:

    > >I've been reading about the Canon Digital Rebel, but I didn't make clear
    > >this:
    > >
    > >what about the 1.6 multiplying factor of the digital rebel?

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you have a 24mm lens, you multiply 24mm by 1.6 to get the lens'

    capability
    > when mounted on a digital camera. So 24mm would be as if you had a lens

    made
    > for digital of 38.4 mm.
    > This is nice for zooms because the 80mm becomes 128mm.
    >

    > Rosita

    But its horrible because my 20mm on my digital camera has the same coverage
    angle as a 32mm lens on a 35mm film camera. I've always used wide angles
    more than longer length lens. I would need a 13mm wide angle on my digital
    camera to get the same angular coverage as my 20mm lens on my film camera.
    The cost of getting a very wide angle lens for my digital camera is what I
    think is the biggest draw back to digital cameras.

    --
    John Passaneau
    Penn State University

    John Passaneau, Aug 30, 2004
  6. John Passaneau wrote:
    []
    > But its horrible because my 20mm on my digital camera has the same
    > coverage angle as a 32mm lens on a 35mm film camera. I've always used
    > wide angles more than longer length lens. I would need a 13mm wide
    > angle on my digital camera to get the same angular coverage as my
    > 20mm lens on my film camera. The cost of getting a very wide angle
    > lens for my digital camera is what I think is the biggest draw back
    > to digital cameras.

    So take a look at the Nikon Coolpix 5000, and it's wide-angle lens.

    Approximately 19mm coverage (in 35mm terms).

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 30, 2004