    If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?

    i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.

    Just after some ideas..

    Craig Sutton, May 29, 2005

  2. On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:57:42 +1200, someone purporting to be Craig Sutton
    doth scrawl:

    > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    >
    > i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    >
    > Just after some ideas..

    Tough call. There's some new stuff just about to come out, in terms of
    the AMD64 X2. That's looking very, very interesting.
    I'd say get an AMD64 with a socket939 motherboard, so that you'll be able
    to upgrade to the X2 fairly easily. Get one of these new boards that does
    PCI-E and has SATA2. Buy two or four biggish SATA drives with NCQ, and
    run RAID0 or RAID10. Buy a couple of gig of low-latency RAM, maybe from
    Corsair.
    For about $3800 you can get:
    Thermaltake case
    Asus A8N-SLI mobo
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ CPU
    4x512MB Corsair low-latency RAM
    4x200GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs
    PCIe-16 Gigabyte Radeon X700 Pro w/ 256MB DDR3 and DVI

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, May 29, 2005

  3. Craig Sutton

    Jerry Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    >>If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    >>
    >>i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    >>
    >>Just after some ideas..

    > Tough call. There's some new stuff just about to come out, in terms of
    > the AMD64 X2. That's looking very, very interesting.
    > I'd say get an AMD64 with a socket939 motherboard, so that you'll be able
    > to upgrade to the X2 fairly easily. Get one of these new boards that does
    > PCI-E and has SATA2. Buy two or four biggish SATA drives with NCQ, and
    > run RAID0 or RAID10. Buy a couple of gig of low-latency RAM, maybe from
    > Corsair.
    > For about $3800 you can get:
    > Thermaltake case
    > Asus A8N-SLI mobo
    > AMD Athlon64 4000+ CPU
    > 4x512MB Corsair low-latency RAM
    > 4x200GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs
    > PCIe-16 Gigabyte Radeon X700 Pro w/ 256MB DDR3 and DVI

    to use SLI you need too Nvidia cards rather than one Radeon. If you
    aren't going to do that then why get an SLI mobo?

    Jerry, May 29, 2005
  4. Suddenly, Craig Sutton sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?

    For what purpose? You would do completely different things depending on
    that.

    Games? 3d Design? Photo work? Maths? Development?

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, May 29, 2005
  5. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, Craig Sutton sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?

    > For what purpose? You would do completely different things depending on
    > that.
    >
    > Games? 3d Design? Photo work? Maths? Development?

    I would expect a $4000 machine to pretty much handle all of the above ...

    Craig Sutton, May 29, 2005
  6. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:57:42 +1200, someone purporting to be Craig Sutton
    > doth scrawl:
    >
    > > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    > >
    > > i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    > >
    > > Just after some ideas..

    > Tough call. There's some new stuff just about to come out, in terms of
    > the AMD64 X2. That's looking very, very interesting.
    > I'd say get an AMD64 with a socket939 motherboard, so that you'll be able
    > to upgrade to the X2 fairly easily. Get one of these new boards that does
    > PCI-E and has SATA2. Buy two or four biggish SATA drives with NCQ, and
    > run RAID0 or RAID10. Buy a couple of gig of low-latency RAM, maybe from
    > Corsair.
    > For about $3800 you can get:
    > Thermaltake case
    > Asus A8N-SLI mobo
    > AMD Athlon64 4000+ CPU
    > 4x512MB Corsair low-latency RAM
    > 4x200GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs
    > PCIe-16 Gigabyte Radeon X700 Pro w/ 256MB DDR3 and DVI

    Thanks for the ideas..I hate pc noise so one of the features of the new box
    should be extremely silent (well within reason)

    Craig Sutton, May 29, 2005
  7. Craig Sutton

    Nova Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Suddenly, Craig Sutton sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >>
    >>>If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?

    >>For what purpose? You would do completely different things depending on
    >>that.
    >>
    >>Games? 3d Design? Photo work? Maths? Development?

    > I would expect a $4000 machine to pretty much handle all of the above ...

    Well there are going to be differences..
    If you were going to be multitasking more or encoding content etc you
    would want a pentium 4 with HT.
    Hell with that $$ you could get dual cpu's :)

    If you want it as the ultimate high end game machine then you would go
    with an AMD 64...

    Nova, May 29, 2005
  8. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Well there are going to be differences..
    > If you were going to be multitasking more or encoding content etc you
    > would want a pentium 4 with HT.
    > Hell with that $$ you could get dual cpu's :)
    >
    > If you want it as the ultimate high end game machine then you would go
    > with an AMD 64...

    Yes, well just getting some ideas a $4000 machine will be pretty good at all
    tasks whichever way you look at it.

    Been a while since I shopped for components. Would like to assemble
    something from the latest and greatest bits and pieces.

    Maybe Roger could recomend a powersupply and where to buy it from ;-)

    Craig Sutton, May 29, 2005
  9. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    >
    > i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    >
    > Just after some ideas..

    With unlimited dollars, I'd love a quad 64-bit CPU system. Just imagine
    all the chicks I could get with that rig, :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, May 29, 2005
  10. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    > i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    > Just after some ideas..

    dual opterons, high end VGA, plenty of ram... couple of big Hdds, umm,
    that oughta take most of the cash.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 29, 2005
  11. Craig Sutton

    MarkH Guest

    Matthew Poole <> wrote in

    > Buy two or four biggish SATA drives
    > with NCQ, and run RAID0 or RAID10.

    Why exactly?

    RAID10 means you buy 4 drives, but only get 2 drives worth of storage.
    This is not really good value for money, there are many cheap ways of
    protecting the data that is important, without wasting storage on easily
    replaced data.

    RAID0 will give faster disk reading and good hardware RAID controllers
    should hopefully avoid a loss of speed when writing. But I don't think
    that the speed boost will be all that much. I guess as long as you ensure
    any critical data is backed up somehow then it might be worthwhile.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 29, 2005
  12. Craig Sutton

    mark Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in news:d7c77d$orv$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    >
    > i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    >
    > Just after some ideas..

    If you go mad (like me) and decide portability is important, then I'd
    suggest the Toshiba Satellite M40.

    I bought one of these lovely laptops last week - with 2ghz P4M, 2GB RAM,
    and NVIDIA Gforce Go 6600/128MB RAM - and have to say it is a rather
    nice - quiet, fast - 4000+ AquamarkScoreRender, 9000+
    AquamarkScoreSimulation. The only down side is that the screen is only
    1280x800 res, but omg it is a gorgeous screen, especially displaying
    photos (nice and shiny).

    Testing against a Toshiba P4 3.6GHz/HT laptop with an X600 or 9700(?)
    was quite interesting too - the 2GHz P4M was slightly faster on all
    AquaMark results.

    YMMV :)

    Cheers,
    Mark

    --
    ---

    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
    Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

    mark, May 29, 2005
  13. Craig Sutton

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:33:58 +1200, Matthew Poole <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:57:42 +1200, someone purporting to be Craig Sutton
    >doth scrawl:
    >
    >> If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    >>
    >> i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    >>
    >> Just after some ideas..

    >Tough call. There's some new stuff just about to come out, in terms of
    >the AMD64 X2. That's looking very, very interesting.
    >I'd say get an AMD64 with a socket939 motherboard, so that you'll be able
    >to upgrade to the X2 fairly easily. Get one of these new boards that does
    >PCI-E and has SATA2. Buy two or four biggish SATA drives with NCQ, and
    >run RAID0 or RAID10. Buy a couple of gig of low-latency RAM, maybe from
    >Corsair.
    >For about $3800 you can get:
    >Thermaltake case
    >Asus A8N-SLI mobo
    >AMD Athlon64 4000+ CPU
    >4x512MB Corsair low-latency RAM
    >4x200GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs
    >PCIe-16 Gigabyte Radeon X700 Pro w/ 256MB DDR3 and DVI

    The later Nvidia cards piss all over any ATI ones plus the have Shader
    3.0.

    Even the low end $300 GF 6600 GT kills the X700 Pro, go look at some
    reviews

    Tony, May 30, 2005
  14. Tony wrote:
    > The later Nvidia cards piss all over any ATI ones plus the have Shader
    > 3.0.
    >
    > Even the low end $300 GF 6600 GT kills the X700 Pro, go look at some
    > reviews

    Roger?
    either way, I tend to agree, bang for buck, Nvidia... although with $4k
    to spend best bang for buck may not be needed...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 30, 2005
  15. On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:03:22 +0000, someone purporting to be MarkH doth
    scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole <> wrote in
    >
    >> Buy two or four biggish SATA drives
    >> with NCQ, and run RAID0 or RAID10.

    > Why exactly?
    >
    > RAID10 means you buy 4 drives, but only get 2 drives worth of storage.
    > This is not really good value for money, there are many cheap ways of
    > protecting the data that is important, without wasting storage on easily
    > replaced data.

    Depends entirely what you're doing with it. If you're into video editing
    or digital photography, there are no really convenient backup methods
    other than more hard drives. The images from real digital cameras will
    easily run to 8MB, and if you're a total shutterbug that quickly adds up.
    Or you could buy four smaller drives and run them all in RAID0.

    > RAID0 will give faster disk reading and good hardware RAID controllers
    > should hopefully avoid a loss of speed when writing. But I don't think
    > that the speed boost will be all that much. I guess as long as you ensure
    > any critical data is backed up somehow then it might be worthwhile.

    The boost is actually fairly significant. Depending who you read it's
    between 25% and 50% faster, on average, for disk operations across two
    drives. That's worth buying an extra drive for. More drives does improve
    performance further, but the increments are smaller.

    Matthew Poole, May 30, 2005
  16. On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:19:24 +1200, someone purporting to be Jerry doth
    scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >> Asus A8N-SLI mobo

    *SNIP*
    > to use SLI you need too Nvidia cards rather than one Radeon. If you
    > aren't going to do that then why get an SLI mobo?

    Because the motherboard itself is good, and anyone with a clue tries to
    give themselves some expansion room on their current hardware. $4k
    doesn't buy a top-end system, but it buys a lot of the base of one.

    Matthew Poole, May 30, 2005
  17. Craig Sutton

    Nova Guest

    mark wrote:
    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in news:d7c77d$orv$1
    > @lust.ihug.co.nz:
    >

    >>If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    >>
    >>i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    >>
    >>Just after some ideas..

    > If you go mad (like me) and decide portability is important, then I'd
    > suggest the Toshiba Satellite M40.
    >
    > I bought one of these lovely laptops last week - with 2ghz P4M, 2GB RAM,
    > and NVIDIA Gforce Go 6600/128MB RAM - and have to say it is a rather
    > nice - quiet, fast - 4000+ AquamarkScoreRender, 9000+
    > AquamarkScoreSimulation. The only down side is that the screen is only
    > 1280x800 res, but omg it is a gorgeous screen, especially displaying
    > photos (nice and shiny).
    >

    > Testing against a Toshiba P4 3.6GHz/HT laptop with an X600 or 9700(?)
    > was quite interesting too - the 2GHz P4M was slightly faster on all
    > AquaMark results.
    >
    > YMMV :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    Only downside to laptops is the really slow hd's... the processors are
    well up there, even some of the graphics cards in high end laptops can
    play decent games, but 5400 rpm drives.. are pretty slow... unfortunate.
    yeah the pentium m's kick ass, that's cause they are based on pentium
    3's not p4's, p4's were a step backwards for intel...well definitely a
    step forward in power consumption anyway and they make good heaters
    that's for sure, good for those winter months.

    Nova, May 30, 2005
  18. Craig Sutton

    Impossible Guest

    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:03:22 +0000, someone purporting to be MarkH
    > doth
    > scrawl:
    >

    >> RAID0 will give faster disk reading and good hardware RAID
    >> controllers
    >> should hopefully avoid a loss of speed when writing. But I don't
    >> think
    >> that the speed boost will be all that much. I guess as long as you
    >> ensure
    >> any critical data is backed up somehow then it might be worthwhile.

    > The boost is actually fairly significant. Depending who you read
    > it's
    > between 25% and 50% faster, on average, for disk operations across
    > two
    > drives. That's worth buying an extra drive for. More drives does
    > improve
    > performance further, but the increments are smaller.

    You need to seriously investigate the pros and cons of a RAID array if
    you're thinking of going that route. Performance boosts are by no
    means certain. It all depends on how you use your machine, and for
    mixed operations -- games and office apps -- you may well be working
    at cross purposes. RAID tends to be recommended where the machine is
    dedicated to specific tasks -- usually file serving or gaming -- where
    sequential reads are the main concern. General users who want an "all
    purpose" machine will usually be disappointed with RAID for just that
    reason -- OS loading is much quicker, but RAID can sometimes degrade
    the performance of standard applications if not carefully tuned.

    Impossible, May 30, 2005
  19. On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:57:42 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > If you had around $4000 NZ to spend what sort of pc would you design?
    >
    > i'm talking pc only, no need for screen , printer etc.
    >
    > Just after some ideas..

    I'd spend $2000 each and buy 2.
    Or get one and a $2000 bar tab.

    wogers nemesis, May 30, 2005
  20. Craig Sutton

    Jerry Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    >>>Asus A8N-SLI mobo

    > *SNIP*
    >
    >>to use SLI you need too Nvidia cards rather than one Radeon. If you
    >>aren't going to do that then why get an SLI mobo?

    > Because the motherboard itself is good, and anyone with a clue tries to
    > give themselves some expansion room on their current hardware. $4k
    > doesn't buy a top-end system, but it buys a lot of the base of one.

    So how about going for an Nvidia 6600GT card then, easy expansion is to
    just get another one and SLI them. You might fit two (not too, I can
    spell, just can't type) cards in with your $4k budget anyway. I agree
    about the MB, I'd love to get one...

    Jerry

    Jerry, May 30, 2005