Dream machine being built

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine

    Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
    CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
    2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
    this M.B)
    2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)

    2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata

    Case acousticase 6607

    Power Supply (undecided)

    DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)

    ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
    ps/2 mouse
    3.5 floppy

    Craig Sutton, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <divre3$me7$>,
    says...
    > Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
    >
    > Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
    > CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
    > 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
    > this M.B)
    > 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)
    >
    > 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata

    As is often the case, your HDD's will be your bottleneck, so... what
    about 3 of the above, w' 2 as RAID0 for your boot drive. Slighty hairy,
    but bloody fast. Yer gonna backup anyway right?

    More RAM could be an option, but you know what yer run, so I'll assume
    you've got that right :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Craig Sutton

    JH Guest

    JH, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Craig Sutton, Oct 17, 2005
  5. Craig Sutton

    MarkH Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in

    > Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
    >
    > Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)

    Sounds good, Asus with NVidia chipset must be one of the best choices
    today.

    > CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)

    Considering what you are spending anyway you might as well get a 4800.

    > 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched
    > for this M.B)

    Should work well and you could always add another 2GB if you wanted
    later.

    > 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)

    WOW! Now that is expensive.

    > 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata
    >
    > Case acousticase 6607

    Hmmm, *quick google*, looks pretty nice.

    > Power Supply (undecided)

    Get the highest quality, highest wattage one you can find. Your CPU and
    video cards will suck the juice hard. This is not the item to save
    money on.

    > DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)
    >
    > ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
    > ps/2 mouse

    Get the Logitech stuff - my MX1000 cordless laser mouse is bloody
    fantastic!

    > 3.5 floppy

    I remember them.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Craig Sutton

    Caught Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
    >
    > Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
    > CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
    > 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
    > this M.B)
    > 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)
    >
    > 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata
    >
    > Case acousticase 6607
    >
    > Power Supply (undecided)
    >
    > DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)
    >
    > ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
    > ps/2 mouse
    > 3.5 floppy

    Roughly, how much would a machine like this cost - please?

    Caught, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Craig Sutton

    ardz Guest

    "Caught"
    wrote in message

    > Roughly, how much would a machine like this cost - please?

    And can i have 2 please ;-)

    ardz, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Craig Sutton

    Caught Guest

    "ardz" <> wrote in message

    > "Caught"
    > wrote in message
    >> >

    >> Roughly, how much would a machine like this cost - please?
    >>

    > And can i have 2 please ;-)

    Sure can - please

    Caught, Oct 17, 2005
  9. Craig Sutton

    gimp Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
    >
    > Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
    > CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)

    X2 3800+ OC'd to 2.4-2.5 GHz seems to be the trendy thing to do, cheap
    and fast, but if $$ is no object you may want to start off at 2.4 with
    the 4800+ and go up, more cache too i guess :)

    > 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)

    whoa killer =) what's this going to be used for...? 1600 x 1200 + res..? ;)

    > 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata

    i'd go raptors for speed, but yeah i guess at 74GB they don't have much
    space... annoys me how they never brought out a 120GB version of those
    sweet drives.

    > Power Supply (undecided)

    i'd recommend OCZ Modstream (520 version is stable with 2 x 7800GTX). or
    the Powerstream, but the Mod has cool modular UV cables :)

    gimp, Oct 17, 2005
  10. Craig Sutton

    Daniel Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine

    <snip>

    Awesome rig!!!

    If you're spending that kind of money, tell me your going to get a
    decent gaming mouse. Logitech G5 or G7, or at the very least an MX518.
    All the CPU and graphics horsepower in the world isn't going to
    compensate for a laggy mouse. Unless you have no intention of playing
    FPS online of course.

    Bang-for-buck in terms of gaming I'd go for the single core Athlon 64
    4000 (and no, I don't expect games in the forseeable future to make
    significant use of a 2nd core for a couple of reasons).

    With that kind of gfx firepower, what monitor are you looking at getting?
    Even a 19" monitor would seem to negate the capability of such a system.

    Daniel, Oct 17, 2005
  11. Craig Sutton

    JH Guest

    Don't get the OCZ Modstream 520!
    I already have it. Single PCI-E connection only, Thick inflexible
    cables, Non-option to purchase more of these modular cables. And if you
    end up getting a Lian Li case, you'll have to remove a drive cage to
    get it to fit in the case.

    JH, Oct 18, 2005
  12. Craig Sutton

    JH Guest

    Hmm works for me. Tried copy/paste?

    JH, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hmm works for me. Tried copy/paste?

    wasn't working last night. Does now gee some poser pc's there with wanky
    lights and other pointless features.

    Craig Sutton, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Craig Sutton

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <divre3$me7$>, Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
    >
    > Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
    > CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
    > 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
    > this M.B)
    > 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)
    >
    > 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata
    >
    > Case acousticase 6607
    >
    > Power Supply (undecided)
    >
    > DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)
    >
    > ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
    > ps/2 mouse
    > 3.5 floppy

    If this is going to be used for gaming (and with the graphics cards I can't
    see any other sensible use). Then try the g5/g7 logitech mouse/s.
    G5 has cord G7 not bothe 2000dpi.

    ChrisOD, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Craig Sutton

    Lukagain Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:27:33 +1300, ChrisOD
    <> wrote:

    >In article <divre3$me7$>, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
    >>
    >> Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
    >> CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
    >> 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
    >> this M.B)
    >> 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)
    >>
    >> 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata
    >>
    >> Case acousticase 6607
    >>
    >> Power Supply (undecided)
    >>
    >> DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)
    >>
    >> ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
    >> ps/2 mouse
    >> 3.5 floppy
    >>

    >If this is going to be used for gaming (and with the graphics cards I can't
    >see any other sensible use). Then try the g5/g7 logitech mouse/s.
    >G5 has cord G7 not bothe 2000dpi.

    PCAlpha have this on special:
    http://www.pcalpha.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=1590

    Lukagain, Oct 18, 2005
  16. Craig Sutton

    JH Guest

    @%#$ you too.

    JH, Oct 19, 2005
  17. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > gee some poser pc's there with wanky
    > > lights and other pointless features.

    > @%#$ you too.

    Hey I wasn't referring to yours specifically
    Tell me what value neon tubes and fans that glow in the dark add to a
    system?

    Craig Sutton, Oct 19, 2005
  18. T'was the Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:35:03 +1300 when I remembered "Craig
    Sutton" <> saying something like this:

    >Tell me what value neon tubes and fans that glow in the dark add to a
    >system?

    Same thing as paint and stickers on cars.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 19, 2005
  19. Craig Sutton

    jasonh1234 Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Hey I wasn't referring to yours specifically
    > Tell me what value neon tubes and fans that glow in the dark add to a
    > system?

    No value. Just aesthetics.
    The CPU cooler came with the LED fan.
    My need for good replacement 120mm fans led me to Coolermaster's which
    also had blue LED fans. (At least they all matched.)
    My desire to show off my computer's internals led me to the cold
    cathode tube.
    And to top it all off, now every thing matches. (My backlit keyboard,
    The internal glow from my Razer Diamondback mouse, the LCD fan
    speed/temp monitor display.
    It's all about aesthetics. And I have no problem with adding some
    "pimp" to my machine, when there's nothing else I can do to, or spend
    money on, on my computer.

    I thought you were talking to me specifically. And by calling me a
    poser you were makeing it sound like I added LED windshield wiper
    nozzles to a Yugo, when I see it more as adding underbody neon to a
    souped up 1000 whp sportscar. Sure it's not neccesary and doesn't do
    anything, but what the hell?

    Anyways let's get back on topic. Figured out what power supply you're
    getting?

    jasonh1234, Oct 20, 2005
  20. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "jasonh1234" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Hey I wasn't referring to yours specifically
    > > Tell me what value neon tubes and fans that glow in the dark add to a
    > > system?

    > I thought you were talking to me specifically. And by calling me a
    > poser you were makeing it sound like I added LED windshield wiper
    > nozzles to a Yugo, when I see it more as adding underbody neon to a
    > souped up 1000 whp sportscar. Sure it's not neccesary and doesn't do
    > anything, but what the hell?

    Oh well takes all kinds

    > Anyways let's get back on topic. Figured out what power supply you're
    > getting?

    Something around 550 watts minimum and reasonably quiet?

    Craig Sutton, Oct 20, 2005