Dream Compact

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by atn2002@hotmail.com, May 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I own the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and love it as a compact but I'm
    underwhelmed by the S3 IS specs and recent online reviews. Now, I
    would have spent the $100 extra just for the live histogram...if I
    hadn't already owned the S2. So, certainly not upgrade worthy for me,
    but what might have made it so? What would have made the S3 the
    perfect compact conceivable? (and still be a reasonable price) What
    would make the hypothetical Canon PowerShot S4 IS a worthy upgrade for
    a happy S2 owner such as myself?
    Please, correct me if I'm wrong, all the features of the S3 plus
    (descending from highest priority):

    8MP
    Manual 'Focus-by-Wire' Ring
    800 ISO is reasonable, but with less noise!
    Video: 720x480 / 24fps / MPEG4

    It's that simple. 8MP is a no-brainer. The focus ring may add more
    moving parts, but I'd enjoy it a lot more that having to find the MF
    button at the front (I actually really like the zoom controls the way
    they are though) So far they just haven't been the greatest with low
    light, which is fine, but I'd expect more with 8MP of course. And then
    finally, with HD Camcorders showing up these video settings shouldn't
    undermine Canon's camcorder market. I'm not even asking for manual
    controls in Movie mode (though at least Manual Focus would be a bonus),
    just a standard format with compression that can fit on my smaller SD
    cards.

    I couldn't imagine anything better without going into DSLR. The Sx IS'
    have a distinct fun factor though.

    This is my plead to Canon!!! Anyone with me?

    , May 3, 2006

  2. Low Hertz Guest

    wrote:

    > I own the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and love it as a compact but I'm
    > underwhelmed by the S3 IS specs and recent online reviews.

    It appears you are letting other people decide if you like it.
    If you like it, it's great.

    Low Hertz, May 5, 2006