    All I want to know is, if I buy one of these routers, will it break my setup
    or not. Can't get a definitive answer from suppliers or the manufacturer, so
    hope someone here uses this model with Asterisk.........?
    Jono, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Jono

    alexd Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > I'm in conversation with Draytek's pre-sales dept..............
    >
    > Here's the most recent reply:
    >
    > <Hello,
    >
    > We really don't know of anyone who has run an Asterisk server on
    > a Vigor2900.

    Then they're lying to you. However, if they said Yes, then you'd be on the
    phone asking for support as soon as you couldn't get it to work, which they
    don't want.

    > There are doubtless people around, but it's relatively
    > rare. Most people don't run SIP servers.
    >
    > Regards,>
    >
    > All I want to know is, if I buy one of these routers, will it break my
    > setup or not. Can't get a definitive answer from suppliers or the
    > manufacturer, so hope someone here uses this model with Asterisk.........?

    Plenty of people have slagged it off here in this august forum, so
    personally I would avoid it.

    If you've got an asterisk box anyway, stick two NICs in it and a few
    iptables rules, et voila you have a 'VoIP router'. You can even effect QoS
    with deft use of 'tc', or if that's too much of a mind bender [well it is
    for me], it's got a pretty front end called the Wondershaper. Google knows
    what the Wondershaper is.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:02:39 up 6 days, 3:19, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.14, 0.22
    alexd, Jan 7, 2006

  3. alexd wrote:
    > Jono wrote:
    >>
    >>All I want to know is, if I buy one of these routers, will it break my
    >>setup or not. Can't get a definitive answer from suppliers or the
    >>manufacturer, so hope someone here uses this model with Asterisk.........?

    > Plenty of people have slagged it off here in this august forum, so
    > personally I would avoid it.
    >
    > If you've got an asterisk box anyway, stick two NICs in it and a few
    > iptables rules, et voila you have a 'VoIP router'. You can even effect QoS
    > with deft use of 'tc', or if that's too much of a mind bender [well it is
    > for me], it's got a pretty front end called the Wondershaper. Google knows
    > what the Wondershaper is.

    But don't forget, If you have any registered G.729 licenses, then they
    will become invalid (and need reregistering (which can only be done
    once) if you add/change a network card.
    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Thomas Kenyon <> wrote:
    [...]
    > But don't forget, If you have any registered G.729 licenses, then
    > they will become invalid (and need reregistering (which can only be
    > done once) if you add/change a network card.

    This would only apply to Digium's G.729 codec, and the registration is
    mainly down to the restrictions in the patent license.

    Software is not currently patentable UK, so you don't need a license.
    There are free G.729 codecs doing the rounds that don't need this
    registration and it is perfectly legal to use them.

    Your advice is still useful to anybody who has bought the Digium codec
    for whatever reason.

    --
    In Peoples China, the workers take the lead.
    In capitalist England, the sods also take the copper piping, floorboards,
    Peter Corlett, Jan 9, 2006