    Broadband Buyer are charging £118.44 inc VAT is this a good price or is
    there anywhere else selling it cheaper?
    Thanks in advance.

    Phil, Oct 26, 2006

  2. Phil

    Martin² Guest

    Have had years of very perfect service from Draytek 2200We and now 2600VG,
    the VoiP works fine.
    Not easy to find and master the QoS settings, but that's probably different
    on the 2700V.
    Zoodex sells new 2700V for £103 +£10p&p on Ebay, but I have no experience of
    them.
    Maybe you can get BbB to price match ?
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 27, 2006

  3. I tried a 2800v recently, but wasn't impressed.

    There can be quite large differences in the the sync speeds that the modems are able to achieve,
    depending on chipset, firmware etc.

    The Vigor was not a good performer - it would only sync at 60% of the speed of my existing router.

    (My line is 6 km and is quite noisy, and I imagine there would be less of a difference on a
    short/quiet line.)

    The VOIP functionality looked well thought out though.

    Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Oct 27, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Adam Lipscombe <> wrote:

    >I tried a 2800v recently, but wasn't impressed.
    >
    >There can be quite large differences in the the sync speeds that the modems are able to achieve,
    >depending on chipset, firmware etc.
    >
    >The Vigor was not a good performer - it would only sync at 60% of the speed of my existing router.
    >
    >(My line is 6 km and is quite noisy, and I imagine there would be less of a difference on a
    >short/quiet line.)

    I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
    the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
    lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
    the 2800's?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 27, 2006
  5. Yes I tried all the flavours of firmware, but there was no improvement.

    Draytek support were good, but basically said there nowt else to do after I had tried them all.

    My best guess is that its probably down to different chipsets, with the one in my existing router
    being better in this context.

    Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
    > the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
    > lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
    > the 2800's?

    There are different 2800 firmware versions like with the 2600 to try to
    resolve certain problems with "long lines". However the 2800 seems to
    be a turning point for Draytek - lots of complaints about problems with
    the model (see their forum). The released a new version of the 2800
    firmware earlier this week - I am hoping this will fix those serious
    problems. In the meantime we have reverted to using 2600's.

    Richard Oliver, Oct 27, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    Richard Oliver <> wrote:
    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    > > I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
    > > the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
    > > lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
    > > the 2800's?

    > There are different 2800 firmware versions like with the 2600 to try to
    > resolve certain problems with "long lines". However the 2800 seems to
    > be a turning point for Draytek - lots of complaints about problems with
    > the model (see their forum). The released a new version of the 2800
    > firmware earlier this week - I am hoping this will fix those serious
    > problems. In the meantime we have reverted to using 2600's.

    Yes, the 2800 certainly doesn't appear to be up to Draytek's reputed
    high standards. I have a 2800G and the two main problems are susceptibility
    to external interference on ADSL and unreliable operation of the wireless
    access point. There is lots on Draytek's forum about these problems.

    Perhaps they have given up and released the 2700 series instead.

    What version is the new 2800 firmware released this week?

    Cheers
    Tony
    --
    Tony Mountifield
    Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk

    Tony Mountifield, Oct 27, 2006
  8. Tony Mountifield wrote:

    > Yes, the 2800 certainly doesn't appear to be up to Draytek's reputed
    > high standards. I have a 2800G and the two main problems are susceptibility
    > to external interference on ADSL and unreliable operation of the wireless
    > access point. There is lots on Draytek's forum about these problems.
    >
    > Perhaps they have given up and released the 2700 series instead.
    >
    > What version is the new 2800 firmware released this week?

    2.7.1 (Formal Release) - Release Date : 24 Oct 2006

    From reports this fixes the wireless problems - which might help you.

    Richard Oliver, Oct 27, 2006
  9. Phil

    linker3000 Guest

    Richard Oliver wrote:
    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
    >> the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
    >> lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
    >> the 2800's?

    > There are different 2800 firmware versions like with the 2600 to try to
    > resolve certain problems with "long lines". However the 2800 seems to
    > be a turning point for Draytek - lots of complaints about problems with
    > the model (see their forum). The released a new version of the 2800
    > firmware earlier this week - I am hoping this will fix those serious
    > problems. In the meantime we have reverted to using 2600's.

    Yep,

    I am ripping out USR and SMC ADSL routers and re-equipping our offices
    with 2600s bought via eBay. Typical buying price is £40-£60. Well worth
    it - I must have bought around 15+ now!

    linker3000, Oct 28, 2006
  10. Phil

    Martin² Guest

    To Adam L:
    >There can be quite large differences in the sync speeds that the modems are
    >able to achieve, depending on chipset, firmware etc.

    As per my original post, the Zyxel 2602 HW uses an award wining TI chipset,
    and I found it could maintain 3Mb/s on my poor 5km line. Unfortunately it's
    WiFi didn't work well in my circumstances, so I reverted to using Vigor
    2600VG at 2Mb/s.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 28, 2006
  11. Phil

    Phil Guest

    OK Guys, thanks for the advice. I am not very far away from my exchange
    about 700 metres as the crow flies so that shouldn't be too much of an
    issue.
    Again many thanks for all the advice

    Phil, Oct 28, 2006
  12. Phil

    alexd Guest

    Martin² wrote:

    > To Adam L:
    >>There can be quite large differences in the sync speeds that the modems
    >>are able to achieve, depending on chipset, firmware etc.

    > As per my original post, the Zyxel 2602 HW uses an award wining TI
    > chipset, and I found it could maintain 3Mb/s on my poor 5km line.
    > Unfortunately it's WiFi didn't work well in my circumstances, so I
    > reverted to using Vigor 2600VG at 2Mb/s.

    I've found WiFi performance with Zyxel's Prestige 600 series to be utterly
    dire - lots of reports from customers of the wireless not working outside
    of the room that the router is in, and similar. They say they've improved
    it in the -D1 series, but I've yet to try it. OTOH, their ADSL performance
    is great - they use the same TI chipset as Draytek.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:19:47 up 3 days, 17:05, 2 users, load average: 3.03, 3.07, 3.07

    alexd, Oct 28, 2006
  13. Phil

    alexd Guest

    Martin² wrote:

    > To Adam L:
    >>There can be quite large differences in the sync speeds that the modems
    >>are able to achieve, depending on chipset, firmware etc.

    > As per my original post, the Zyxel 2602 HW uses an award wining TI
    > chipset, and I found it could maintain 3Mb/s on my poor 5km line.
    > Unfortunately it's WiFi didn't work well in my circumstances, so I
    > reverted to using Vigor 2600VG at 2Mb/s.

    Something I forgot to mention in my other post - patch the two together via
    their ethernet ports [they should both be MDI-Auto] and make sure DHCP is
    turned off on one of them. Hey presto - 3Meg of internet, available
    wirelessly!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:10:12 up 4 days, 15:55, 2 users, load average: 3.24, 3.13, 3.10

    alexd, Oct 29, 2006
  14. Phil

    Martin² Guest

    Alexd:
    >Something I forgot to mention in my other post - patch the two together via
    >their ethernet ports [they should both be MDI-Auto] and make sure DHCP is
    >turned off on one of them. Hey presto - 3Meg of internet, available
    >wirelessly!

    Yes, I thought of that, but the difference between 2Mb/s and 3Mb/s didn't
    warrant the expense,
    so I sold the Zyxel on Ebay and got my money back.
    Girlfriend in a close prox. of an exchange, living in modern papier mache
    house gets full 8Mb/s, good WiFi coverage and reliable VoIP from the same
    Zyxel 2602HWL.
    I take my laptop there for big downloads...etc.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 30, 2006