    Are they worth the cash or not?

    Regards,

    Robin.
    Robin Grayson, May 11, 2005

  2. Robin Grayson

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:07:12 +0100, Robin Grayson <>
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Anybody got any before / after experience with the Draytek 2600V
    >routers?
    >
    >I'm interested in the quality of service for VoIP, and what difference
    >it makes to the quality of voice calls.
    >
    >Are they worth the cash or not?

    In a similar vein, any info/experience/opinion of the PTI-840V
    (DabsValue, OEM: Paradigm)?

    --
    Mark
    Mark, May 11, 2005

  3. Robin Grayson

    Chris Guest

    "Robin Grayson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Anybody got any before / after experience with the Draytek 2600V
    > routers?
    >
    > I'm interested in the quality of service for VoIP, and what difference
    > it makes to the quality of voice calls.
    >
    > Are they worth the cash or not?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Robin.

    No experience of the Draytek.

    But QOS can make the difference between hearing the conversation and not, in
    the extreme. However products like the Draytek will only try and prioritise
    the voice traffic out of your network over your data. Once out in the
    Internet there is no QOS, so the voice packets will have to contend with the
    rest of the Internet's traffic. Most of the time that isn't a problem but if
    it gets busy....

    Personally I wouldn't both unless you are doing a lot of data transfers at
    the same time. Your voice packets have more to contend with once they are
    off your network and on their own!

    Regards

    Chris
    Chris, May 11, 2005
  4. Robin Grayson

    Martin² Guest

    Draytek routers are very well specced and rock solid, my 2600We hasn't
    missed a bit in over two years, in fact I haven't touched it except to
    update the firmware to support VoIP.
    Worth the money for the peace of mind alone.
    As Chris explained the QoS function isn't all that important in domestic
    situation and is likely to work as well as intended, (but probably no better
    then any other QoS router).

    I am on a verge of buying the 2600VG, but I have now discovered that the new
    Zyxel 2602HW also has 2 VoIp ports, but allows for multiple VoIP providers /
    SIP registration
    (the 2600VG is awaiting new firmware to do that).
    The Zyxel is slightly cheaper, but their 2000W VoIP phone is reputedly bit
    dodgy, so I am bit concerned regarding the quality of their VoIP stuff.

    What's more a Zyxel 2602HWL version will also allow the VoIP phones to call
    via the POTS line, something that I would find very useful, but isn't
    available yet, price unknown. . .
    (BTW Draytek 2100V and 2500V can do that, but the 2600V can't, why ?)

    Decisions, decisions....,
    shall I wait, or shall I jump...
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 12, 2005
  5. Robin Grayson

    VoceSuIP.com Guest

    Did you never tought to take a look of Fritz!Box Fon? (http://www.avm.de)

    --
    http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
    Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum
    VoceSuIP.com, May 12, 2005
  6. On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:20:45 +0100, "Chris" <>
    wrote:
    >But QOS can make the difference between hearing the conversation and not, in
    >the extreme. However products like the Draytek will only try and prioritise
    >the voice traffic out of your network over your data. Once out in the
    >Internet there is no QOS, so the voice packets will have to contend with the
    >rest of the Internet's traffic. Most of the time that isn't a problem but if
    >it gets busy....
    >

    >Personally I wouldn't both unless you are doing a lot of data transfers at
    >the same time. Your voice packets have more to contend with once they are
    >off your network and on their own!

    Hi Chris,

    Yes, you are right ... I gues that in the whole scheme of the
    internet, traffic shaping traffic from my ADSL connection would have
    little or no impact.

    I was just curious if anybody had tried it and noticed a significant
    difference.

    Regards,

    Robin
    Robin Grayson, May 12, 2005
  7. Robin Grayson

    Peter Watson Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > In a similar vein, any info/experience/opinion of the PTI-840V
    > (DabsValue, OEM: Paradigm)?

    No experience, but that devices is cheaper here:

    http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar-840v.htm

    Peter
    Peter Watson, May 12, 2005
  8. Robin Grayson

    Martin² Guest

    Peter Watson:
    >No experience, but that devices is cheaper here: Solwise 840V

    Yeah, but no WIFI, only one SIP port, no (mention) of multiple registrars or
    pass-through to PSTN line.
    Same spec as Zoom X5V incidentally.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 13, 2005
  9. Robin Grayson

    Martin² Guest

    VoceSuIP:
    >Did you never tought to take a look of Fritz!Box Fon?

    Heard of it, thanks for the link.
    Looks good, but only one SIP port and no WIFI at ~£140 (incl. 17.5% VAT)
    plus postage its too expensive.
    Wonder how much the WIFI version will be.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 13, 2005