    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I'm currently "acquiring" Dragon Naturallyspeaking 8, a speech-to-text program. From what I've heard about it, it's very accurate and recognises accents etc vey quickly. Does anyone else have any experience with any of the Dragon Naturallyspeaking series? I'm deciding whether it's worth the wait for 800mb to finish appearing on my pc :p
    XhArD, Mar 4, 2006

  2. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I tried to "Aquire" that program myself. I've used IBM Via Voice and an older version of Dragon and found the whole teaching process tedious and long but, they may have changed things a lot since those versions. Voice Recognition may have come a long way for all I know, though judging by those telephone answering service programs people use all the time now it sure doesn't seem like it.
    The Modfather, Mar 4, 2006

  3. XhArD

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I dealt with voice synthesis back in the early 1980's. It's come a long way since then! You never know until you try it, XhArD.
    bigal, Mar 4, 2006
  4. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    well I've "acquired" it, installed it (In German, damn default language :mad:) Set it up back to english, and couldn't set it up to recognise my accent yet because my sister has Hilltop Hoods playing now, so I'm trying to do my english assignment, and itd be like: "patricia hughes is...I gave birth to half these styles, you should pay me rhyme support,
    Like Billy Jean suing Michael Jackson for child support,... a woman who has yadda yadda yadda" Gotta wait till tomorrow anyway, i have 2 1000 word assignments due tomorrow that i have to do now :(

    EDIT: Bugger assignments, I got it configured a little bit :p the whole next paragraph is going to be spoken, not typed. I will add translation in after.

    SPOKEN:
    this paragraph has been spoken not typed and it seems to be working surf off but it will make a few mistakes since I have not properly configured it yet and there is no punctuation either too bad a still pretty cool.

    TYPED:
    This paragraph has been spoken, not typed, and it seems to be working so far, but it will make a few mistakes since I have not properly configured it yet, and there is no punctuation either. Too bad aye, still pretty cool.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
    XhArD, Mar 5, 2006
  5. XhArD

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    So it can't handle the Australian accent, but that's to be expected. I think it's going to work for you.
    bigal, Mar 5, 2006
  6. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I think there's a way to do punctuation with it, you just have to use a command of some sort to make it know to expect a punctuation.
    The Modfather, Mar 5, 2006
  7. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, I do know how to use the punctuation now, you just say "fullstop" quickly. If you say it too slow then it just types the two seperate words, so it didnt work the first time I tried it. And It CAN handle our accent, I only did the basic training thing. I just need to use it more. It can't predict punctuation I don't think, I just have to add it in myself.
    XhArD, Mar 6, 2006
  8. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i am getting it now too :) 200mb to go!!!
    unholy, Mar 6, 2006
  9. XhArD

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can't wait to see how it handles Nathan's voice commands. Does he talk in the same way he types?
    bigal, Mar 6, 2006
  10. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    That depends what he's talking about. If it's something serious or whatever, then he talks normally. If it's something in CSS or anything stupid, then yeah, he talks how he types. It'd be funny though, because you can set corrections so that when you say "the" it says "bogan" or whatever you want.
    XhArD, Mar 6, 2006
  11. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Damn, and here I was thinking this might be the salvation of Unholy, a program that even HE can't screw up with his odd writing skills.
    The Modfather, Mar 7, 2006
  12. XhArD

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mankind is still searching for that program. Rumor has it that some little Irishman was working on it (the program) when he suddenly stopped and figured it wasn't worth the effort.
    bigal, Mar 7, 2006
  13. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I found the accuracy-speed slider, it's WAY more accurate now, just a little bit slower. It rocks :D
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
    XhArD, Mar 7, 2006
  14. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i have it too now, and guess what! It understands me!!!! :p
    unholy, Mar 7, 2006
  15. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    And yet, you still made an error. "I" not "i"
    The Modfather, Mar 9, 2006
  16. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i typed that, it was late like now so i typed, plus Dragon is a tad bit slowish compared to the speed i type.
    unholy, Mar 9, 2006
  17. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, without training it a ton, you can type faster than you can get Dragon to type for you.
    XhArD, Mar 10, 2006
  18. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    But Dragon does it Easier :) less chance of wrist pains...
    unholy, Mar 10, 2006
  19. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Wow, that sucks, I'd have thought it would recognize things faster than you could type them. Well what's the benifit of it then, if you can spell and all that as well as type?
    The Modfather, Mar 10, 2006
  20. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Well I'm sure it could, but since I've only trained it with the absolute minimum required to make it work, it makes a lot of mistakes, so I changed the accuracy-speed slider to half-half to make it more accurate.
    XhArD, Mar 10, 2006