    allow direct dragging and dropping between two computers?

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Clueless in Seattle, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Clueless in Seattle

    meerkat Guest

    "Clueless in Seattle" <> wrote in message

    > I have two computers, a PC and a laptop, in a Win2K peer-to-peer
    > network. I keep all my files on the PC and access them from the
    > laptop.
    >
    > When I try to drag and drop files the laptop to the PC, a copy is made
    > on the PC, but the original remains on the laptop, and I have to
    > manually delete it.
    >
    > Or, I can right click, drag and drop, and then click "Move."
    >
    > I'd like to be able to just left click, drag and drop, without the
    > additional step of deleting the file. Can Windows be configured to
    > allow direct dragging and dropping between two computers?

    Shift+left/click should Move them.

    meerkat, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Clueless in Seattle

    meerkat Guest

    Re: Drag and drop files

    meerkat, Nov 2, 2007
  4. Clueless in Seattle

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:26:36 -0000, Clueless in Seattle wrote:

    >I have two computers, a PC and a laptop, in a Win2K peer-to-peer
    >network. I keep all my files on the PC and access them from the
    >laptop.
    >
    >When I try to drag and drop files the laptop to the PC, a copy is made
    >on the PC, but the original remains on the laptop, and I have to

    Leaving the original behind for a while is a good idea in case something
    went wrong with the 'move'. Once it's worked and the copy is okay then
    delete what you don't need.

    >manually delete it.

    So you don't like the default action, oh well.

    >Or, I can right click, drag and drop, and then click "Move."

    Write your own shell extension.

    >I'd like to be able to just left click, drag and drop, without the

    Write your own shell extension.

    >additional step of deleting the file. Can Windows be configured to
    >allow direct dragging and dropping between two computers?

    Maybe, however Windows was designed to move files on same location *and*
    copy for non local destinations. ;local; isn't a good choice e.g c: to
    c: is move c: to d: is copy, across network is copy by default.

    Select files then Cut / Paste and see the meerkat post.

    >Will in Seattle
    >a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Then use the Windows Help and many Windows user guides and shortcut key
    tables.

    Me

    why?, Nov 2, 2007