    But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
    core fans?

    Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)
    Derek Janssen, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Derek Janssen

    Bratboy Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
    > Beginning"--
    >
    > There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc episodes
    > or two:
    > The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
    > It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
    > since I rented from Netflix--
    > And Netflix, as we know, tends to commission rental-only one-sided
    > versions of double-sided titles (eg. West Wing), which left one entire
    > story arc missing off of the rental...
    >
    > ...Which *might* be one reason Netflix suddenly pulled the title off into
    > Unavailable on week into release--
    > But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
    > core fans?
    >
    > Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)

    I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case in the
    set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.
    Bratboy, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Bratboy wrote:

    >>Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
    >>Beginning"--
    >>
    >>There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc episodes
    >>or two:
    >>The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
    >>It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
    >>since I rented from Netflix--
    >>And Netflix, as we know, tends to commission rental-only one-sided
    >>versions of double-sided titles (eg. West Wing), which left one entire
    >>story arc missing off of the rental...
    >>
    >>...Which *might* be one reason Netflix suddenly pulled the title off into
    >>Unavailable on week into release--
    >>But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
    >>core fans?
    >>
    >>Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)

    > I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case in the
    > set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

    So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we
    want to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Derek Janssen

    > Bratboy wrote:
    >
    >>>Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
    >>>Beginning"--
    >>>
    >>>There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc episodes
    >>>or two:
    >>>The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
    >>>It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
    >>>since I rented from Netflix--
    >>>And Netflix, as we know, tends to commission rental-only one-sided
    >>>versions of double-sided titles (eg. West Wing), which left one entire
    >>>story arc missing off of the rental...
    >>>
    >>>...Which *might* be one reason Netflix suddenly pulled the title off into
    >>>Unavailable on week into release--
    >>>But, since I didn't buy it, I wouldn't know--Any verification from the
    >>>core fans?
    >>>
    >>>Derek Janssen (it's all clear now, isn't it?)

    >> I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case in
    >> the set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

    > So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we want
    > to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Yes the pilot is the 1st episode of Uneathly Child (a refrence to The
    Doctors first companion) Then the 2nd set include the Daleks and the other
    title.
    Bratboy, Apr 14, 2006
  5. Derek Janssen

    selaboc Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Assuming there's SOMEBODY out there who bought the BBC R1 "Dr. Who: The
    > Beginning"--
    >
    > There's been some confusion as to whether we get three story-arc
    > episodes or two:
    > The box says "3-Disk" on the front, while clearly containing two...
    > It's a possibility that Disk 2 might be 2-sided, but I wouldn't know,
    > since I rented from Netflix--

    None of the Classic Doctor Who releases use 2 sides. They put two disks
    in one case. With this set, case 1 contains 1 disk featuring the
    unaired pilot and the first 4-part story "An Unearthly child". case 2
    contains 2 disks. Disk 1 is the 7-part "Daleks". Disk 2 is the 2 part
    "Edge of Destruction". All thress disks contians various extras with
    the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
    story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
    reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
    reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
    fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
    first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
    by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
    could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
    show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
    story was like).

    All in all, an excellent set. Highly recommended.
    selaboc, Apr 14, 2006
  6. Derek Janssen

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Derek Janssen declared:
    > Bratboy wrote:
    >
    >> I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case
    >> in the set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

    > So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we
    > want to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?

    Yes, though "Pilot" is a misnomer -- they shot it with every
    intention of airing it as the first episode, but a BBC executive
    felt the Doctor was too crotchety and made them do it over. There
    are actually two versions of the pilot included: the final, edited
    version that they planned on airing, and the unedited tape of the
    recording session (which is basically the same as the former, except
    they do two takes of the last scene).

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    Killing the creator was a traditional method of patent protection.
    Sean O'Hara, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Derek Janssen

    Steve Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:14:43 -0400, Sean O'Hara <>
    wrote:

    >In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Derek Janssen declared:
    >> Bratboy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have the set. The 1st episode is in one case and then the 2nd case
    >>> in the set contains 2 disc's, not a flipper.

    >> So "An Unearthly Child" and the pilot *are* on the set, and unless we
    >> want to buy it, we just have to wait for Netflix to clean up their mess?
    >>

    >Yes, though "Pilot" is a misnomer -- they shot it with every
    >intention of airing it as the first episode, but a BBC executive
    >felt the Doctor was too crotchety and made them do it over. There
    >are actually two versions of the pilot included: the final, edited
    >version that they planned on airing, and the unedited tape of the
    >recording session (which is basically the same as the former, except
    >they do two takes of the last scene).

    There was never an edited version of the Pilot ready for air. That
    was put together by the Dr. Who Restoration Team. The Pilot footage
    was rejected by the Canadian director of programming because of its
    poor technical production values, camera wobbles, actors' flubs, etc.
    Also Susan was TOO otherwordly and alien. The Doctor was meant to be
    an anti-hero, but Hartnell himself wanted to tone down the character.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve, Apr 15, 2006
  8. Derek Janssen

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    selaboc <> wrote:

    > All thress disks contians various extras with
    > the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
    > story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
    > reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
    > reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
    > fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
    > first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
    > by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
    > could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
    > show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
    > story was like).

    The audio for all the lost Doctor Who episodes exist, and have been
    released in various formats (you can get them for $13 on iTunes, for
    example). I'd love to have someone re-create the episodes in B&W cell
    animation using the original soundtrack :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Apr 16, 2006
  9. Invid Fan wrote:

    >>All thress disks contians various extras with
    >>the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
    >>story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
    >>reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
    >>reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
    >>fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
    >>first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
    >>by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
    >>could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
    >>show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
    >>story was like).

    > The audio for all the lost Doctor Who episodes exist, and have been
    > released in various formats (you can get them for $13 on iTunes, for
    > example). I'd love to have someone re-create the episodes in B&W cell
    > animation using the original soundtrack :)

    I'd rather have them in color:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/

    Derek Janssen (more of a Patrick Troughton fan, m'self)
    Derek Janssen, Apr 16, 2006
  10. Derek Janssen

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:57:43 -0400, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Invid Fan wrote:
    >>
    >>>All thress disks contians various extras with
    >>>the "Edge" disk containing most of them (since it has the shortest
    >>>story on it, it had the most room) including the half-hour abridged
    >>>reconstruction of the lost 4th story arc "Marco Polo" (the
    >>>reconstruction takes surviving audio of the story that was preserved by
    >>>fans in the 1960s hooking up tape recorders to their TV sets at time of
    >>>first broadcast along with photographic stills called "telesnaps" taken
    >>>by John Crua as a service for the BBC so that directors and actors
    >>>could have a record of thier work. basically it's a souped up slide
    >>>show with a soundtrack that gives the viewer a taste of what that lost
    >>>story was like).

    >> The audio for all the lost Doctor Who episodes exist, and have been
    >> released in various formats (you can get them for $13 on iTunes, for
    >> example). I'd love to have someone re-create the episodes in B&W cell
    >> animation using the original soundtrack :)

    The audio exists because of fans' home recordings, as described
    above. Some of the earliest ones, such as Marco Polo, were done with
    a microphone sitting in the same room as the TV, and it SOUNDS just
    like a miked TV set! Later recordings were done with a direct
    electrical connection in many cases, or at least with a better mic
    close to the TV speaker. I actually recorded some of the earliest
    Doctor Who episodes myself using a mic sitting on top of the speaker
    of our Ferguson set. No, I didn't save the recordings, if I had I
    believe it would have been an improvement over the existing audio
    quality of Marco Polo. I saw Marco Polo three times, first in Britain
    then successively in Halifax, then in Sarnia, Canada. It's hard to
    believe such a wonderful story is gone..

    >I'd rather have them in color:
    >http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/

    Who cares about Shada?! On the other hand Loose Cannon has done a
    marvelous reconstruction of Marco Polo in full colour from the wealth
    of on-stage stills done during that series.
    http://www.recons.com/recons/lc17.htm

    >Derek Janssen (more of a Patrick Troughton fan, m'self)

    Oh to find more Troughton!

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Apr 16, 2006