DQSD x64 Beta 1 Releases!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Old timers here will know that I simply love Dave's Quick Search Deskbar -
    www.dqsd.net. And that there was a semi-custom solution to running it in
    64-bit that I used. Well, with a lot of hard work and persistence, we now
    have 64-bit support built into the mainstream of DQSD. Whenever we build a
    new version, we'll be building a 64bit version side by side. YIPPEE!

    The installer is still a batch file that has my hands all over it, though
    with a lot of excellent suggestions from Kim Grasman it is cleaner and a bit
    smarter. But it works, and appears to be smart enough for general use. So
    please - go download it and check it out. It's one of those little things
    that the more you use it, the more useful it becomes, and at some point
    you'll wonder how you lived without it. For example, I wouldn't be able to
    read my newspaper funnies any more without it (since the local paper has
    only a dismal selection). But now, with the comx search? I get the latest
    version whenever I need it. :D

    Direct download link is here:
    http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dqsd/dqsdx64-4100-beta.zip

    Try it! Carlos, you're going to love this, I promise.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Downloading it right now.
    Will try it tonight when I get back home.
    (Still having Internet heavy dropouts!)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Already loving it!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 6, 2008
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    The install cmd file needs some work.
    It registered the dll pointing to the install dir rather than the
    destination dir.
    After the installation I had to re-run the cmd (modified version by me) from
    the destination dir, having skipped the parts where the files get copied and
    it checks for the prior versions.
    In a nutshell, what I did was to use the modified cmd to register everything
    again, but from a different dir.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 7, 2008
  5. hmmm. I'll look. That's JUST the sort of thing that can happen when you run
    something over, and over, and over, and two sets of fingers are on it.
    Thanks for the report!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2008
  6. Honestly, I have a hard time working without it. It needs a bit of love
    right now, going over some of the older searches that have been let get out
    of date, but most of the main ones are still sound, since they're ones that
    get regular use, and get tweaked if the web site changes.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2008
  7. Carlos - Ping me offline, I'm trying to figure out exactly what you did and
    how it failed. Charlie - at - Scribes - dot - com is my main email. The
    destination directory and the install directory should be the same. We're
    assuming it's unzipped to a temporary directory, and then run from within
    that directory. From there, it copies files to the install directory, and
    changes to that directory to run the DLL registration.

    Ha, just writing this tells me - I'll bet you ran it from a different drive
    letter, and in the reworking of the batch file, a "cd /d" got changed to a
    "cd". Dumb mistake, and my temporary directory was on C: so I didn't catch
    it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2008
  8. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I DID install it from a different drive letter.
    From I:\Download to C:\Program Files
    I guess that accounts for everything.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 7, 2008
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I also get this error from time to time when initializing the Search bar.
    The window error has "Dave's Quick Search Deskbar" as title and it goes like
    this:
    There was aproblem initializing the enhanced ekyboard suppor - some key
    cominations and hotkeys may not work (Error 'The hotkey notification windows
    couldn't be created')

    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 7, 2008
  10. Yes - not much we can do about that one. The issue is that DQSD wants to
    have a hotkey that goes directly to the window. The default is Windows+S, if
    I remember correctly. Well, that happens to be the hotkey for OneNote, so if
    you run that, you'll get that error, since OneNote usually loads before we
    do. The solution for me has been to change the hotkey to Windows+Q for quick
    search. That doesn't seem to have anything else sitting on it. This is
    controlled by "preferences.js" and then by "localprefs.js", so that's the
    place to go to change it. In theory, localprefs.js is preserved in an
    upgrade, but with the 64-bit that's not anything we've tried to do - you're
    on your own to save off any customizations first. There are just realistic
    limits to what you can do in a batch file.

    It's worth a look in the preference.js file to see the things you can
    customize. Now we don't have a holidays.ar.xml file, for example, but if you
    want to create one, using any of the existing holidays files as a template,
    we'd be happy to add it to the distribution.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2008
  11. Yup, a bug. Already submitted the fix, and it should be in the next drop.
    Thanks!!

    (memo to self - always install from a different drive, and you won't get
    caught looking stupid!)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2008
  12. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Thank you for all the tips, I have already customized the .js files.
    Also have e-mailed you the holidays.ar.xml file including 2009 floating
    holidays.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 7, 2008
  13. Excellent. Thank you.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2008
  14. Charlie Russel - MVP

    dman7777 Guest

    Been missing this for a long time now, thank you. Installed very smoothly
    and so far works great!

    dman7777, Aug 23, 2008
  15. Watch out, there's a bug in the installer. (I know, cause I wrote it. And
    Carlos found it.)

    If you installed it from other than the system drive, your registry changes
    won't "take". You need to unzip to the C: drive and run from there. (Or
    modify the installx64.cmd file to do a "cd /d" rather than a simple "cd".

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 24, 2008