Dpreview's current venue is low-rent compared to London

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 6, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, May 6, 2012

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 6, 1:06 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > Can't help thinking that when I see their example photos from  their
    > tests.  I think they are in Colorado(!) but can't for the life of me
    > understand why.  Somehow, cars rusting in open fields doesn't compare
    > to London Bridge.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4052788152/shooting-with-the-leica-m...

    The above areas were varied, which makes sense, since Leica owners are
    likely to be more traveled than the average person, outside of
    reporters, politicians. At least they'd get a chance at exploiting
    the camera a bit more. But for some reason, I equate Leica with
    street shooting in big cities, not so much nature shots.
    RichA, May 6, 2012

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On May 6, 1:06 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >> Can't help thinking that when I see their example photos from  their
    >> tests.  I think they are in Colorado(!) but can't for the life of me
    >> understand why.  Somehow, cars rusting in open fields doesn't compare
    >> to London Bridge.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4052788152/shooting-with-the-leica-m...

    >The above areas were varied, which makes sense, since Leica owners are
    >likely to be more traveled than the average person, outside of
    >reporters, politicians. At least they'd get a chance at exploiting
    >the camera a bit more. But for some reason, I equate Leica with
    >street shooting in big cities, not so much nature shots.

    The images are probably more representative of Leica users' than you
    might think. If you join one of the many Leica user forums you will
    find that Leica users' images include many incompetent snapshots of
    their children, pets and assorted relatives, vacations, cars etc.,
    just as with many others group of photographers.

    Obviously, there is a proportion of Leica users who know what they are
    doing and buy Leica equipment because they want (and know how) to
    exploit its abilities to great effect. But they do not represent a
    majority of Leica users.

    As to the DPReview gallery, I agree that there are very few (if any)
    shots that clearly demonstrate the particular abilities of the
    combination of a Leica M9-P and Leica glass. Almost all of them could
    easily have been taken with "lesser equipment".
    Bruce, May 6, 2012
  4. On 5/6/2012 12:06 PM, RichA wrote:
    > Can't help thinking that when I see their example photos from their
    > tests. I think they are in Colorado(!) but can't for the life of me
    > understand why. Somehow, cars rusting in open fields doesn't compare
    > to London Bridge.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4052788152/shooting-with-the-leica-m9-p/5

    Uh ... Colorado is a lot ... a very lot ... closer to London Bride than
    is anywhere in Europe.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, May 7, 2012
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Doug McDonald <> wrote:

    >On 5/6/2012 12:06 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> Can't help thinking that when I see their example photos from their
    >> tests. I think they are in Colorado(!) but can't for the life of me
    >> understand why. Somehow, cars rusting in open fields doesn't compare
    >> to London Bridge.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4052788152/shooting-with-the-leica-m9-p/5
    >>

    >Uh ... Colorado is a lot ... a very lot ... closer to London Bride than
    >is anywhere in Europe.

    Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

    An earlier bridge from the site (there have been quite a few built
    since AD 50) was sold to some gullible Americans:
    http://g.co/maps/9jc4s

    Unfortunately, they thought they bought this one:
    http://g.co/maps/zsfmb

    That is Tower Bridge, and it is not for sale. ;-)
    Bruce, May 7, 2012
  6. On 5/6/2012 6:54 PM, Bruce wrote:

    > Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    > vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    > http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

    Not THE London Bridge, however.

    Just as there is a bridge across the Tacoma Narrows, but its not
    THE Tacoma Narrows Bridge of great notoriety.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, May 7, 2012
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2012 00:54:54 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Doug McDonald <> wrote:
    :
    : >On 5/6/2012 12:06 PM, RichA wrote:
    : >> Can't help thinking that when I see their example photos from their
    : >> tests. I think they are in Colorado(!) but can't for the life of me
    : >> understand why. Somehow, cars rusting in open fields doesn't compare
    : >> to London Bridge.
    : >>
[...]

    I don't quite get your point, Bruce. Nobody, including Doug, suggested that
    Tower Bridge is in the U.S. But the "London Bridge" that was sold to an
    American developer (and thereafter reconstructed in Arizona) apparently had
    enough historical significance that many Brits were upset about it when the
    sale took place.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, May 7, 2012
  8. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "Doug McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > On 5/6/2012 6:54 PM, Bruce wrote:
    >> Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    >> vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    >> http://g.co/maps/nkfvx
    >>

    > Not THE London Bridge, however.

    He already said there have been *many* since AD50, so there is *NO* "THE
    London Bridge", just one of many, which now happens to be in the USA.
    (and obviously not "THE London Bridge" since it's not in London!!!)

    Trevor.
    Trevor, May 7, 2012
  9. RichA

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 07/05/2012 04:45, Trevor wrote:
    > "Doug McDonald"<> wrote in message
    >> On 5/6/2012 6:54 PM, Bruce wrote:
    >>> Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    >>> vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    >>> http://g.co/maps/nkfvx
    >>>

    >> Not THE London Bridge, however.

    > He already said there have been *many* since AD50, so there is *NO* "THE
    > London Bridge", just one of many, which now happens to be in the USA.
    > (and obviously not "THE London Bridge" since it's not in London!!!)

    London Bridge is nowadays more commonly used as a place name than as a
    reference to the actual bridge anyway. I believe the Borough of
    Southwark refers to the whole area south of the Pool between London
    Bridge and Tower Bridge as "London Bridge".

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, May 7, 2012
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Doug McDonald <> wrote:
    >On 5/6/2012 6:54 PM, Bruce wrote:
    >> Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    >> vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    >> http://g.co/maps/nkfvx
    >>

    >Not THE London Bridge, however.

    So in your opinion (as an American) which of the many bridges that
    have spanned the Thames at that point is THE London Bridge?

    Not the one in Arizona, obviously. So which one is THE London Bridge?

    Here's some help:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge

    My vote goes to this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:London-bridge-1682.jpg
    Bruce, May 7, 2012
  11. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >But the "London Bridge" that was sold to an
    >American developer (and thereafter reconstructed in Arizona) apparently had
    >enough historical significance that many Brits were upset about it when the
    >sale took place.

    It was a very handsome bridge, so it isn't surprising that people
    missed it. Its designer was the eminent Victorian civil engineer John
    Rennie who designed many fine structures. I spent several days last
    week exploring and photographing the Kennet and Avon Canal which was
    one of Rennie's projects.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rennie_(engineer)>

    The 1970s replacement London Bridge is quite ugly. That would only
    encourage a sense of loss among Londoners for the handsome old
    structure. But I doubt that anyone missed the old bridge's lack of
    capacity and the chronic traffic congestion that resulted. It was
    also close to collapse as the foundations were failing.

    So it is better to have a modern bridge with higher capacity, even if
    it is ugly. Better to have that than an elegant Victorian structure
    that could not cope with modern conditions.

    The "London Bridge" in Arizona is a bit of a fraud. It is a modern
    reinforced concrete structure that is clad in stone from Rennie's
    London Bridge to give it the appearance of a Victorian stone bridge.
    It looks nice, but what lies beneath is very modern.
    Bruce, May 7, 2012
  12. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:

    >You hear a lot of talk about Leica glass beating other glass

    Ignore talk. Evidence is all that matters.
    Bruce, May 7, 2012
  13. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > On 07/05/2012 04:45, Trevor wrote:
    > > "Doug McDonald"<> wrote in message
    > >>>

    > >> Not THE London Bridge, however.

    > > He already said there have been *many* since AD50, so there is *NO* "THE
    > > London Bridge", just one of many, which now happens to be in the USA.
    > > (and obviously not "THE London Bridge" since it's not in London!!!)

    > London Bridge is nowadays more commonly used as a place name than as a
    > reference to the actual bridge anyway. I believe the Borough of
    > Southwark refers to the whole area south of the Pool between London
    > Bridge and Tower Bridge as "London Bridge".

    Further, the one in the US is a modern reinforced concrete bridge with a
    veneer of stones from the one in London.
    J. Clarke, May 7, 2012
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 07 May 2012 00:54:54 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >>Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    >>vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    >>http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

    >Wasn't the original relocated to and rebuilt in Lake havasu, AZ?

    The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
    apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.

    There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
    Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
    structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
    the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
    completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
    structure which opened in 1973.
    Bruce, May 8, 2012
  15. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 08 May 2012 00:51:57 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >Bowser <> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 07 May 2012 00:54:54 +0100, Bruce <>
    >>wrote:
    >>>Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    >>>vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    >>>http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

    >>Wasn't the original relocated to and rebuilt in Lake havasu, AZ?

    >The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
    >apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.
    >
    >There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
    >Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
    >structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
    >the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
    >completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
    >structure which opened in 1973.

    So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
    that one's ~140 years?
    John A., May 8, 2012
  16. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "John A." <> wrote in message
    > So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
    > that one's ~140 years?

    I have no idea, but would be willing to bet a few lasted more than that
    given it's over two millenia since the first.
    Frequency of repairs might be another matter however :)

    Trevor.
    Trevor, May 8, 2012
  17. RichA

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 08/05/2012 01:38, John A. wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 May 2012 00:51:57 +0100, Bruce<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Bowser<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Wasn't the original relocated to and rebuilt in Lake havasu, AZ?

    >> The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
    >> apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.
    >>
    >> There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
    >> Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
    >> structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
    >> the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
    >> completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
    >> structure which opened in 1973.

    > So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
    > that one's ~140 years?

    Well, the medieval stone bridge was there from 1173 until 1824, but that
    would have been a constant work in progress.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, May 8, 2012
  18. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >On 08/05/2012 01:38, John A. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 May 2012 00:51:57 +0100, Bruce<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
    >>> apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.
    >>>
    >>> There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
    >>> Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
    >>> structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
    >>> the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
    >>> completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
    >>> structure which opened in 1973.

    >> So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
    >> that one's ~140 years?

    >Well, the medieval stone bridge was there from 1173 until 1824, but that
    >would have been a constant work in progress.

    Indeed, records suggest that it was a constant battle against failing
    foundations, collapsing spans and overloading from building stores and
    other businesses along each side of the bridge to the point that it
    offered no view of the river to anyone crossing it. It must have been
    quite a sight.
    Bruce, May 8, 2012
  19. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On May 7, 4:45 am, "Trevor" <> wrote:
    > "Doug McDonald" <> wrote in message

    > > On 5/6/2012 6:54 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > >> Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
    > >> vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
    > >>http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

    > > Not THE London Bridge, however.

    > He already said there have been *many* since AD50, so there is *NO* "THE
    > London Bridge", just one of many, which now happens to be in the USA.
    > (and obviously not "THE London Bridge" since it's not in London!!!)

    http://miki-garcia.suite101.com/london-bridge-in-usa-how-the-bridge-was-sold-to-america-a222324

    When I get a 48 bus to London Bridge it doesn't end up in the USA.
    Whisky-dave, May 8, 2012
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/6/2012 10:10 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

    > :

    <snip

    > I don't quite get your point, Bruce. Nobody, including Doug, suggested that
    > Tower Bridge is in the U.S. But the "London Bridge" that was sold to an
    > American developer (and thereafter reconstructed in Arizona) apparently had
    > enough historical significance that many Brits were upset about it when the
    > sale took place.

    Brucie would rather be snippy than accurate.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, May 8, 2012