DPReview relocates - from London, England, to Seattle, WA, USA!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    the production of new articles on dpreview.com:

    "Last, and by no means least, we've also moved out of our London
    office and relocated to our new office and studio in Seattle,
    Washington, which has obviously caused a little disruption. But have
    no fear, we've worked very hard to ensure the delay in publishing
    reviews is kept to a bare minimum (some of the team is still working
    in the UK during this staggered relocation). This is an exciting move
    for dpreview.com, and will give us access to considerably better
    resources and allow us to expand our content and add features, tools
    and improvements to sections of the site that we know our users will
    love."

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102021sitenews.asp

    I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2010

  2. Bruce

    John A. Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:27:32 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    >> the production of new articles on dpreview.com:
    >>
    >> "Last, and by no means least, we've also moved out of our London
    >> office and relocated to our new office and studio in Seattle,
    >> Washington, which has obviously caused a little disruption. But have
    >> no fear, we've worked very hard to ensure the delay in publishing
    >> reviews is kept to a bare minimum (some of the team is still working
    >> in the UK during this staggered relocation). This is an exciting move
    >> for dpreview.com, and will give us access to considerably better
    >> resources and allow us to expand our content and add features, tools
    >> and improvements to sections of the site that we know our users will
    >> love."
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102021sitenews.asp
    >>
    >> I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews. ;-)

    >Bought out by Microsoft? (That's what happened to many of my friends from my
    >generation (Comp. Sci. degree in '76) who had more energy than I and started
    >companies.)

    Amazon.

    John A., Oct 21, 2010

  3. "John A." <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:27:32 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    >>> the production of new articles on dpreview.com:
    >>>
    >>> "Last, and by no means least, we've also moved out of our London
    >>> office and relocated to our new office and studio in Seattle,
    >>> Washington, which has obviously caused a little disruption. But have
    >>> no fear, we've worked very hard to ensure the delay in publishing
    >>> reviews is kept to a bare minimum (some of the team is still working
    >>> in the UK during this staggered relocation). This is an exciting move
    >>> for dpreview.com, and will give us access to considerably better
    >>> resources and allow us to expand our content and add features, tools
    >>> and improvements to sections of the site that we know our users will
    >>> love."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102021sitenews.asp
    >>>
    >>> I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews. ;-)

    >>Bought out by Microsoft? (That's what happened to many of my friends from
    >>my
    >>generation (Comp. Sci. degree in '76) who had more energy than I and
    >>started
    >>companies.)

    > Amazon.

    Yep, Amazon acquired dpreveiw in May of 2007.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Oct 21, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 21, 7:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    > the production of new articles on dpreview.com:
    >
    > "Last, and by no means least, we've also moved out of our London
    > office and relocated to our new office and studio in Seattle,
    > Washington, which has obviously caused a little disruption. But have
    > no fear, we've worked very hard to ensure the delay in publishing
    > reviews is kept to a bare minimum (some of the team is still working
    > in the UK during this staggered relocation). This is an exciting move
    > for dpreview.com, and will give us access to considerably better
    > resources and allow us to expand our content and add features, tools
    > and improvements to sections of the site that we know our users will
    > love."
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102021sitenews.asp
    >
    > I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews.  ;-)

    Watch the reviews shift from reasonable (despite some language issues)
    to sleazy, like American print magazines.

    Rich, Oct 21, 2010
  5. Bruce

    John A. Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 05:35:43 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 21, 7:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    >> the production of new articles on dpreview.com:
    >>
    >> "Last, and by no means least, we've also moved out of our London
    >> office and relocated to our new office and studio in Seattle,
    >> Washington, which has obviously caused a little disruption. But have
    >> no fear, we've worked very hard to ensure the delay in publishing
    >> reviews is kept to a bare minimum (some of the team is still working
    >> in the UK during this staggered relocation). This is an exciting move
    >> for dpreview.com, and will give us access to considerably better
    >> resources and allow us to expand our content and add features, tools
    >> and improvements to sections of the site that we know our users will
    >> love."
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102021sitenews.asp
    >>
    >> I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews.  ;-)

    >Watch the reviews shift from reasonable (despite some language issues)
    >to sleazy, like American print magazines.

    And no more girls on page 3.html.

    John A., Oct 21, 2010
  6. Bruce

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews. ;-)

    But you'll get lots of images of our gray skies and rain...

    Mr. Strat, Oct 21, 2010
  7. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:14:53 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
    <> wrote:

    >On 21 Oct, 12:12, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    >> the production of new articles on dpreview.com:
    >>
    >> "Last, and by no means least, we've also moved out of our London
    >> office and relocated to our new office and studio in Seattle,
    >> Washington, which has obviously caused a little disruption. But have
    >> no fear, we've worked very hard to ensure the delay in publishing
    >> reviews is kept to a bare minimum (some of the team is still working
    >> in the UK during this staggered relocation). This is an exciting move
    >> for dpreview.com, and will give us access to considerably better
    >> resources and allow us to expand our content and add features, tools
    >> and improvements to sections of the site that we know our users will
    >> love."

    >You won;t be measuring camera weights in pounds and/or ounces will
    >you.....
    >I mean the states seems to be one of the very few places in the world
    >that still uses
    >ye olde imperial units, I do hope focal lengths won;t be expressed in
    >inches ;-)
    >
    >But I've often wondered whether exposure times would be better
    >expressed in ms
    >rather than fractions of a second.......
    >

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102021sitenews.asp
    >>
    >> I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews.  ;-)

    Units should be expressed in the terms the readership is most familiar
    with and not determined by where the magazine is published.

    The best way to express measurements is: 6"/152mm.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 21, 2010
  8. On 10/21/10 PDT 8:14 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

    > But I've often wondered whether exposure times would be better
    > expressed in ms
    > rather than fractions of a second.......

    Wonder no more: the answer is no; fractions more readily convey the
    relationship of doubling/halving the light.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Oct 21, 2010
  9. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 21, 9:12 am, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 05:35:43 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Oct 21, 7:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > >> Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    > >> the production of new articles on dpreview.com:

    > >> "Last, and by no means least, we've also moved out of our London
    > >> office and relocated to our new office and studio in Seattle,
    > >> Washington, which has obviously caused a little disruption. But have
    > >> no fear, we've worked very hard to ensure the delay in publishing
    > >> reviews is kept to a bare minimum (some of the team is still working
    > >> in the UK during this staggered relocation). This is an exciting move
    > >> for dpreview.com, and will give us access to considerably better
    > >> resources and allow us to expand our content and add features, tools
    > >> and improvements to sections of the site that we know our users will
    > >> love."

    > >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102021sitenews.asp

    > >> I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews.  ;-)

    > >Watch the reviews shift from reasonable (despite some language issues)
    > >to sleazy, like American print magazines.

    > And no more girls on page 3.html.

    Because Jesus wouldn't like it.

    RichA, Oct 21, 2010
  10. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 21, 1:23 pm, "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message

    > > On 10/21/10   PDT 8:14 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

    > >> But I've often wondered whether exposure times would be better
    > >> expressed in ms
    > >> rather than fractions of a second.......

    > > Wonder no more: the answer is no; fractions more readily convey the
    > > relationship of doubling/halving the light.

    > So don't use decimal. 1 ms, 10 ms, 100 ms. It's perfectly obvious they're a
    > stop apart.
    >
    > --
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Lets go back to measuring lenses in inches. If you want to take
    American measurement Luddism to its (il)logical conclusion.

    RichA, Oct 21, 2010
  11. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >On Oct 21, 7:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews.  ;-)

    >Watch the reviews shift from reasonable (despite some language issues)
    >to sleazy, like American print magazines.

    Why? It seems that most or all of the existing team are moving from
    London to Seattle.

    I presume DPReview is moving to Seattle to become more closely
    integrated with its parent Amazon.com, whose HQ is in that city.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2010
  12. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 21, 2:26 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    > >On Oct 21, 7:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > >> I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews.  ;-)

    > >Watch the reviews shift from reasonable (despite some language issues)
    > >to sleazy, like American print magazines.

    > Why?  It seems that most or all of the existing team are moving from
    > London to Seattle.

    Because now they can get away with it, being in that market.

    > I presume DPReview is moving to Seattle to become more closely
    > integrated with its parent Amazon.com, whose HQ is in that city.

    What the implications of that are, we've yet to see.

    RichA, Oct 21, 2010
  13. Bruce

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, RichA <> wrote:
    >On Oct 21, 2:26=A0pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Rich <> wrote:

    >> >Watch the reviews shift from reasonable (despite some language issues)
    >> >to sleazy, like American print magazines.

    >> Why? =A0It seems that most or all of the existing team are moving from
    >> London to Seattle.

    >Because now they can get away with it, being in that market.
    >>
    >> I presume DPReview is moving to Seattle to become more closely
    >> integrated with its parent Amazon.com, whose HQ is in that city.

    >What the implications of that are, we've yet to see.

    Less costly Dental Coverage?

    GMAN, Oct 21, 2010
  14. Bruce

    Vance Guest

    On Oct 21, 10:23 am, "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message

    > > On 10/21/10   PDT 8:14 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

    > >> But I've often wondered whether exposure times would be better
    > >> expressed in ms
    > >> rather than fractions of a second.......

    > > Wonder no more: the answer is no; fractions more readily convey the
    > > relationship of doubling/halving the light.

    > So don't use decimal. 1 ms, 10 ms, 100 ms. It's perfectly obvious they're a
    > stop apart.
    >
    > --
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Try that again.

    Vance

    Vance, Oct 21, 2010
  15. Bruce

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 21/10/2010 18:23, David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "John McWilliams"<> wrote in message
    >> On 10/21/10 PDT 8:14 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
    >>>
    >>> But I've often wondered whether exposure times would be better
    >>> expressed in ms
    >>> rather than fractions of a second.......

    >> Wonder no more: the answer is no; fractions more readily convey the
    >> relationship of doubling/halving the light.

    > So don't use decimal. 1 ms, 10 ms, 100 ms. It's perfectly obvious they're a
    > stop apart.

    There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary
    numbers and those that don't. They are a bit clumsy though.

    It isn't very helpful when you have to count a large number of zeros to
    get eg 1s ~= 10000000000 ms (subject to typos & miscounting).

    1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000
    is pretty much standard. Fancy shutters can manage down to 1/8000 or so.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Oct 21, 2010
  16. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Oct 21, 2:26 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Rich <> wrote:

    >> >Watch the reviews shift from reasonable (despite some language issues)
    >> >to sleazy, like American print magazines.

    >> Why?  It seems that most or all of the existing team are moving from
    >> London to Seattle.

    >Because now they can get away with it, being in that market.

    But they are mostly or wholly the same team. They haven't changed. I
    cannot say with certainty that they have been entirely objective in
    the past, but to suggest that they will lose whatever objectivity they
    have now by moving to Seattle is just ridiculous.

    Had Amazon fired half (or all) the team and employed US reviewers to
    replace them, you might have had a point.

    >> I presume DPReview is moving to Seattle to become more closely
    >> integrated with its parent Amazon.com, whose HQ is in that city.

    >What the implications of that are, we've yet to see.

    I expect Amazon want more control. Whether that will extend to the
    content of reviews is anyone's guess. But because the DPReview site
    hasn't always been a paragon of objectivity, it could be difficult to
    tell the difference. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2010
  17. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:50:57 -0400, John A. <> wrote:
    : On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:27:32 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >"Bruce" <> wrote in message
    : >news:...
    : >> Well, that came as a surprise, but it does explain the recent lull in
    : >> the production of new articles on dpreview.com:
    : >>
[...]

    Is Amazon in Seattle?! Somehow I placed them in the Washington, DC area. Shows
    how much I know.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 22, 2010
  18. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Oct 21, 7:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
[...]

    Rich is jealous because they didn't move to Toronto.

    "Language issues", eh? Are you implying that they don't speak English in
    London?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 22, 2010
  19. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:06:11 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Oct 21, 9:12 am, John A. <> wrote:
    : > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 05:35:43 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > >On Oct 21, 7:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
[...]

    What Jesus wouldn't like is greedy American capitalists. He had nothing to say
    about the girls on page 3. Any implied references to them were provided by
    sanctimonious rabbis 1000 years earlier. But modern American Bible thumpers
    will never tell you that. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 22, 2010
  20. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 06:26:47 -0700, "Mr. Strat" <>
    wrote:
    : In article <>, Bruce
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : > I shall miss the images of London in the equipment reviews. ;-)
    :
    : But you'll get lots of images of our gray skies and rain...

    An excellent point! Maybe the Brits are willing to move to Seattle because
    they expect to feel at home in the murky weather. That said, the two or three
    times I've been to Seattle, the weather was beautiful. Go figure.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 22, 2010