dpreview.com hijacked?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gene Palmiter, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. Gene Palmiter, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Gene Palmiter

    ECM Guest

    I get http://dpreview.com/ - the home page of Digital Photography
    Review - when I type it in. Is there adware or a hijacker program
    hiding on your computer?

    ECM

    ECM, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Gene Palmiter

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > When I type in dpreview.com I get
    > http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    >
    > When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    > something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is a
    > way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.

    Sounds like you are getting hijacked all right, probably with spyware on
    your computer.

    Personally, I think we need to organize boycotts of advertisers that do
    this.

    C J Campbell, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Gene Palmiter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ECM wrote:
    > I get http://dpreview.com/ - the home page of Digital Photography
    > Review - when I type it in. Is there adware or a hijacker program
    > hiding on your computer?
    >
    > ECM

    Or, perhaps, a messed up data file in the DNS server....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Gene Palmiter

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > When I type in dpreview.com I get
    > http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    >
    > When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    > something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is a
    > way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.

    that's because you misspelled the URL

    Ron Krebs, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Gene Palmiter

    Mike Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > When I type in dpreview.com I get
    > http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    >
    > When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    > something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is a
    > way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Gene Palmiter
    > (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
    > freebridge design group
    > www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

    For your info, when I type exactly:
    dpreview.com
    in the URL line (I.E.6) nothing wrong happens and I go to dpreview, not this
    other site (that I won't try to visit!!!)

    The hijack function is somewhere on your HD....

    --
    M. Canada

    Mike, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Good call....I ran ad aware and its now working right. Interesting that it
    knew what dpreview was as it sent me to a digital photography site. I do not
    deal with companies that do things like this....I guess I now have to email
    all advertisers on the site to tell them I won't have anything to do with
    them.

    Gene Palmiter, Mar 9, 2005
  8. "Ron Krebs" <> wrote in message

    > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > > When I type in dpreview.com I get
    > > http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    > >
    > > When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    > > something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is

    > > way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.
    > >

    > that's because you misspelled the URL

    Well...no....I misspelled (transposed actually) it in the message...but not
    when looking for the site.

    Gene Palmiter, Mar 9, 2005
  9. Gene Palmiter

    Guest

    In message <6crXd.85523$sR5.12592@trndny05>,
    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote:

    >When I type in dpreview.com I get
    >http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html

    If you leave off the www., your browser's default search engine kicks
    in.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 9, 2005
  10. Gene Palmiter

    Darrell Guest

    Darrell, Mar 9, 2005
  11. Gene Palmiter

    Darrell Guest

    > "Ron Krebs" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > > > When I type in dpreview.com I get
    > > > http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    > > >
    > > > When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    > > > something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there

    is
    > > > way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.
    > > >

    > > that's because you misspelled the URL
    > >

    > Well...no....I misspelled (transposed actually) it in the message...but

    not
    > when looking for the site.

    do a Google for "Spybot Search and Destroy" or for "Hijack This" sounds like
    a browser hijack. I also add the hijack URL into my HOSTS file as 127.0.0.1

    Darrell, Mar 9, 2005
  12. Gene Palmiter

    Mark² Guest

    "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message news:...

    > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    >> When I type in dpreview.com I get
    >> http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    >>
    >> When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    >> something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is a
    >> way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.
    >>

    > Simple typo,
    >
    > You can try typing the URL correctly you have www.depreview.com not
    > www.dpreview.com

    No.
    He had a typo in the message here, but not in the URL.
    He was a victim of a spyware hijack.
    :(

    Mark², Mar 9, 2005
  13. Gene Palmiter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Darrell wrote:
    > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>When I type in dpreview.com I get
    >>http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    >>
    >>When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    >>something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is a
    >>way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.
    >>

    > Simple typo,
    >
    > You can try typing the URL correctly you have www.depreview.com not
    > www.dpreview.com
    >
    > ;)

    It works either way, try it.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 9, 2005
  14. Gene Palmiter

    imbsysop Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:28:31 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >ECM wrote:
    >> I get http://dpreview.com/ - the home page of Digital Photography
    >> Review - when I type it in. Is there adware or a hijacker program
    >> hiding on your computer?
    >>
    >> ECM
    >>

    >Or, perhaps, a messed up data file in the DNS server....

    there have been reports over here (posted in usenet "ISP" groups)
    mentioning possible worldwide? hacking by poisoning DNS caches ... in
    order to force the type of mentioned "bifurcations" .. dunno if it
    applies here ..

    although OT ... & FWIW

    ================
    "SANS Internet Storm Center - http://isc.sans.org/

    Updated March 4th 2005 18:11 UTC (Handler: Kyle Haugsness)

    Global DNS cache poisoning attack?

    We are currently investigating a report from several sites that
    indicate
    users being re-directed to malware sites. At this time it appears to
    be
    a DNS cache poisoning attack (not a spyware, adware, or browser
    hijack)
    and we are seeking more information.

    Popular domain names such as google.com, ebay.com, and weather.com are
    being directed to the following servers. Of course when connecting to
    these servers, "bad things" (tm) will happen, so don't go to them.

    www.7sir7.com (217.160.169.87)
    123xxl.com (217.160.169.87, 207.44.240.79, 216.127.88.131)
    abx4.com (217.160.169.87, 207.44.240.79, 216.127.88.131)

    If your site has been affected, please submit the following
    information:
    1. When the attack was first noticed and whether it is still
    occurring.
    2. What DNS server software you having facing the Internet. This
    information will be kept in strictest confidence.
    3. If you identified any other sites that users were being re-directed
    to (besides the ones listed above)."

    imbsysop, Mar 9, 2005
  15. Gene Palmiter

    Darrell Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Darrell wrote:
    > > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>When I type in dpreview.com I get
    > >>http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    > >>
    > >>When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    > >>something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is

    > >>way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.
    > >>

    > > Simple typo,
    > >
    > > You can try typing the URL correctly you have www.depreview.com not
    > > www.dpreview.com
    > >
    > > ;)
    > >

    > It works either way, try it.

    I did was two different sites, as Gene reported. Today the misspelled URL is
    404.

    Darrell, Mar 9, 2005
  16. Gene Palmiter

    ECM Guest

    Darrell wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > > Darrell wrote:
    > > > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message

    did

    there is

    SNIPO

    > > It works either way, try it.
    > >

    > I did was two different sites, as Gene reported. Today the misspelled

    URL is
    > 404.

    Which means they were most likely up to no good.

    I keep hoping web citizens/denizens are getting savvy to this kind of
    garbage and won't fall for these grifters anymore. Buying something
    from a HIJACKER? a WEB SQUATTER?? What are people thinking???

    I guess I'm dreaming; as soon as it becomes unprofitable, amoral
    businesses, cheats and con artists will stop doing it.... and find a
    new way to milk the rubes.

    ECM

    ECM, Mar 9, 2005
  17. Gene Palmiter

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Gene Palmiter <> wrote:

    >"Ron Krebs" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    >> > When I type in dpreview.com I get
    >> > http://pages.toyp.org/digital-photography.html
    >> >
    >> > When I type www.depreview.com I get what I expect. Seems someone did
    >> > something unethical? Anything to be done about it. I wonder if there is

    >> > way to program a pointer so as to go where I intended.
    >> >

    >> that's because you misspelled the URL
    >>

    >Well...no....I misspelled (transposed actually) it in the message...but not
    >when looking for the site.

    I had the same experience about two weeks ago. And no, I didn't
    misspell it either. I just checked again. It seems to be fixed
    now.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 12, 2005