    features. We've also gone out and shot a handful of real-world sample
    images to show what it's capable of. So come in and meet the new
    Rebel. (08:55 GMT)

    RichA, Mar 25, 2009

  2. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    RichA wrote:
    ....his usual crap.

    *plonk*

    Bob Larter, Mar 25, 2009

  3. Bob Larter wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    > ...his usual crap.

    > *plonk*

    What took you so long?? :).

    I can't bring myself to plonk anyone these days, even the drunken little
    toad called noons, unfortunately, a compatriot of yours.

    Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 25, 2009
  4. In article <gqdk89$ukv$>, John McWilliams
    <> writes

    >Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

    Muhammed Ali?

    Are you selling tickets? Even crippled by Alzheimer's he would still be
    worth watching! ;-)
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Mar 26, 2009
  5. Kennedy McEwen wrote:
    > In article <gqdk89$ukv$>, John McWilliams
    > <> writes
    >>
    >> Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....
    >>

    > Muhammed Ali?
    >
    > Are you selling tickets? Even crippled by Alzheimer's he would still be
    > worth watching! ;-)

    Yeah, I guess he would be, but not as exciting as Ms. Larter....

    I'm old enough to remember Cassius Clay, and what a phenom he was, and
    what a shock when he changed his name.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 26, 2009
  6. RichA

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:02:31 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    > Yeah, I guess he would be, but not as exciting as Ms. Larter....
    >
    > I'm old enough to remember Cassius Clay, and what a phenom he was, and
    > what a shock when he changed his name.

    And I remember Sonny Liston* and what a mean phenom he was, and
    what a shock it was when that Cassius butterfly flattened him. :)

    * And Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky (M & G), Willie Pep**, Archie Moore
    and others.

    The real, original butterfly :

    > Pep was likened to a tap dancer in boxing gloves. He was fast, he was agile, he was graceful. A Pep fight resembled a ballroom dance with one partner a masterful Fred Astaire and the other apparently lacking a single dance lesson. He was called the Will o' the Wisp because, like that illusive phenomenon, he was almost impossible to lay hands upon. By the age of 20 he had won 54 fights in a row without a loss before taking the featherweight title from future HOF fighter Chalky Wright in a bout in which he never once hurt Wright, but played him like a violin. More precisely, a Stradivarius. Willie would continue to win, losing only once in his next 49 fights (to future Hall of Famer Sammy Angot), before he would be matched against a Top Ten fighter with a 25-2 record named Jackie Graves on July 25th, 1945 in Minneapolis. Graves was a southpaw, and perhaps a sportswriter had hinted that it might cause Pep a problem. Or perhaps Willie was just in the mood to show them something they'd

    never seen before. Whatever his motivation, prior to the start of the bout, Pep would make a prediction to rival any later made by Muhammed Ali; he would win a round without throwing a single punch.

    > Not only that, but he would tell them up-front just which round to watch for it; round number three. Bert Sugar said of the audacious feat: "Pep tipped off a few friendly sportswriters that he would not throw a punch in anger in the third round.... Pep moved; Pep switched to southpaw, mocking Graves; Pep danced; Pep weaved; Pep spun Graves around and around again; Pep gave head feints, shoulder feints, foot feints, and feint feints. But Pep never landed a punch." The crowd at ringside sat in spellbound awe as Pep put on perhaps the greatest three minute demonstration on the art of boxing ever witnessed. In just 180 seconds he joined the ranks of those who had done some legendary act to fulfill a fearless prediction; the called-shot of Babe Ruth, the "We're gonna win, I guarantee it!" bravado of Joe Namath, and "They all will fall, in the round I call" predictions of Ali. Sportswriter Don Riley, who was ringside and forewarned of Pep's plan for the third round, said, "It was an

    amazing display of defensive boxing skill so adroit, so cunning, so subtle that the roaring crowd did not notice Pep's tactics were completely without offense. He made Jim Corbett's agility look like a broken down locomotive. He made even Sugar Ray Robinson's fluidity look like cement hardening. Never has boxing seen such perfection!" He had fought the round without throwing a punch, but had he won it? Was his display so mesmerizing that even the keen eyed judges were beguiled? Pep knocked Graves down 9 times, ending the fight in the 8th round via TKO, but it wasn't the victory the ringside press were excited about; it was the score cards of the judges. When the cards were presented, there it was in black and white; Willie Pep had won the third round, the punchless round, on all three cards. The Will o' the Wisp had given boxing another legendary moment.

    http://www.eastsideboxing.com/williepep.html

    ASAAR, Mar 26, 2009
  7. RichA

    Bob Larter Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Bob Larter wrote:
    >> RichA wrote:
    >> ...his usual crap.

    >> *plonk*
    >>

    > What took you so long?? :).

    I'm reading Usenet with a new reader, so I'm having to recreate my
    killfile again from scratch.

    > I can't bring myself to plonk anyone these days, even the drunken little
    > toad called noons, unfortunately, a compatriot of yours.

    Oh yes, Noons. He & Doug make me embarrassed to be Australian.

    > Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

    Who?

    Bob Larter, Mar 26, 2009
  8. RichA

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:33:40 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    >> http://www.eastsideboxing.com/williepep.html

    > and then there was "The Real Rocky" Rocky Marciano, still the only
    > heavyweight to have won every fight in his professional career.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

    You bet. He was the 'M' in "Rocky (M & G)", and you can be sure
    that the 'G' doesn't represent "Stallone". :) Anyway, I preferred
    "The Harder They Fall", Bogey and all. Kinda lost interest after
    Thomas "Hitman" Hearns flamed out. You might like this (I posted
    the link here about 4 years ago) :

    http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/53/burtyoungiv.htm

    ASAAR, Mar 26, 2009
  9. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:54:25 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:02:31 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, I guess he would be, but not as exciting as Ms. Larter....
    >>
    >> I'm old enough to remember Cassius Clay, and what a phenom he was, and
    >> what a shock when he changed his name.

    > And I remember Sonny Liston* and what a mean phenom he was, and
    >what a shock it was when that Cassius butterfly flattened him. :)
    >
    >* And Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky (M & G), Willie Pep**, Archie Moore
    >and others.

    And, no doubt, the sponsor of the Friday Night Fights.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 26, 2009
  10. Bob Larter wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> Bob Larter wrote:
    >>> RichA wrote:
    >>> ...his usual crap.

    >>> *plonk*
    >>>

    >> What took you so long?? :).

    > I'm reading Usenet with a new reader, so I'm having to recreate my
    > killfile again from scratch.
    >
    >> I can't bring myself to plonk anyone these days, even the drunken
    >> little toad called noons, unfortunately, a compatriot of yours.

    > Oh yes, Noons. He & Doug make me embarrassed to be Australian.
    >
    >> Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

    > Who?

    Ali Larter, actress. Not any where near my first choice from Phil
    Swann's site, tv predictions. Ms. Berry is much more- everything.

    http://www.tvpredictions.com/hotberry052408.htm

    I don't subscribe to his newsletter for the links to pretty actresses,
    though....

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Mar 27, 2009
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:33:40 -0700, Savageduck <> wrote:
    : and then there was "The Real Rocky" Rocky Marciano, still the only
    : heavyweight to have won every fight in his professional career.
    : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

    Good as Marciano was, the "Real Rocky" was Rocco Barbella, who fought under
    the pseudonym "Tommy Rocky Graziano". He (and his autobiography, "Somebody Up
    There Likes Me") was undoubtedly the inspiration for "Rocky Balboa" and at
    least the original of the series of "Rocky" movies.

    Barbella's book was a hoot in many ways. It was under-edited by today's
    standards, so the real person shows through more than in most other jock
    autobiographies. Example: For a time the teen-aged Rocky and his friends would
    hang out at the headquarters of a communist cell near their New York
    neighborhood. Rocky remembers, "We used to bang the communist broads. They
    believed in free love, and we didn't believe in paying for it either."

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 5, 2009
  12. RichA

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:07:45 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:33:40 -0700, Savageduck <> wrote:
    > : and then there was "The Real Rocky" Rocky Marciano, still the only
    > : heavyweight to have won every fight in his professional career.
    > : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano
    >
    > Good as Marciano was, the "Real Rocky" was Rocco Barbella, who fought under
    > the pseudonym "Tommy Rocky Graziano". He (and his autobiography, "Somebody Up
    > There Likes Me") was undoubtedly the inspiration for "Rocky Balboa" and at
    > least the original of the series of "Rocky" movies.

    What makes one the "Real Rocky" and the other not? Graziano's
    name wasn't Rocco Barbella, it was Tommy Rocco Barbella, and the
    other Rocky's name was Rocco Francis Marchegiano. If Graziano's
    autobiography inspired anything it was the only the name "Rocky",
    and even that's doubtful, as Rocky Balboa's "character" was nothing
    like Graziano's. Rocky Balboa was an undistinguished club fighter
    (44 wins, 20 losses) that eventually aspired to being a world class
    boxer. Graziano was a world class punk and thug that aspired to
    staying one step ahead of the cops. Stallone identifies the true
    inspiration for Rocky :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Balboa_(character)

    > Barbella's book was a hoot in many ways. It was under-edited by today's
    > standards, so the real person shows through more than in most other jock
    > autobiographies. Example: For a time the teen-aged Rocky and his friends would
    > hang out at the headquarters of a communist cell near their New York
    > neighborhood. Rocky remembers, "We used to bang the communist broads. They
    > believed in free love, and we didn't believe in paying for it either."

    Barbella was a real hoot as well :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Graziano

    ASAAR, Apr 5, 2009
  13. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:33:40 -0700, Savageduck <> wrote:
    : > : and then there was "The Real Rocky" Rocky Marciano, still the only
    : > : heavyweight to have won every fight in his professional career.
    : > : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano
    : >
[...]

    IMO, the similarity between the names "Barbella" and "Balboa" could hardly
    have been coincidence. It suggests at least a familiarity with Barbella's book
    on Stallone's part. Stallone's character lacks the seedier aspects of
    Barbella's early life, but the scrappy club fighter scrambling to reach the
    top is integral to both narratives.

[...]
    : > [Details of Barbella's misspent youth omitted]
    : > . . .
    : > After Rocky got out of the Reformatory he headed back to the gym to
    : > make money. There he met Eddie Cocco who started his professional
    : > career. He entered the ring under the name of Robert Barber. A couple
    : > of weeks later when he was making good money he lent out a car to
    : > friends who robbed a couple of bookies and shot them in the chest.
    : > Rocky was charged with a probation violation and sent back to reform
    : > school. There he started a minor riot between the "East Side Gang"
    : > and the "Blacks". He was sent to Rikers Island.

    He even stole the name "Graziano". When filling out his first professional
    license application, Barbella realized that his criminal record might not go
    down well with the Boxing Commission. So he appropriated the name of the
    Graziano brothers, two acquaintances from the gym. The latter never made it
    big in boxing, but their name did!

    : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Graziano
    :
    :
    : > The right pronunciation of Marciano should be mar-CHA-no,
    : > not mar-SIA-no or mar-CIA-no. This pseudonym, in fact, was
    : > originally intended to make the pronunciation of last name
    : > Marchegiano easier for the English-speaking audience, since
    : > Marchegiano should be pronounced as mar-keh-JAH-no.

    People of Italian extraction are found all over the U.S. and in particularly
    large numbers in eastern Massachusetts. And the rules of Italian orthography
    are actually pretty simple (much simpler than those of English or French, for
    example). So I've never understood why so many New Englanders find Italian
    names hard to pronounce. New England sportswriters were fond of pointing out
    (in print) that Marciano's real name was "Marchegiano", but I don't recall any
    of them actually trying to pronounce it. In fact it was often passed off as
    merely the "original spelling" of Marciano.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 5, 2009
  14. RichA

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:41:45 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > IMO, the similarity between the names "Barbella" and "Balboa" could hardly
    > have been coincidence. It suggests at least a familiarity with Barbella's book
    > on Stallone's part. Stallone's character lacks the seedier aspects of
    > Barbella's early life, but the scrappy club fighter scrambling to reach the
    > top is integral to both narratives.

    I think that your opinion errs in assuming probability instead of
    possibility. Many people make that leap which allows them to
    believe what they want to believe, regardless of improbability. I
    think it's fair to assume that Stallone has a good familiarity with
    the history of boxing, the many boxers that fought as "Rocky", and
    even "Somebody Up There Likes Me". I see more coincidence in the
    first letter of Barbella and Balboa than you because (as I hinted)
    Stallone gave Balboa a character that would have been quite
    tarnished had it been associated with Graziano/Barbella. What about
    the possibility that Rocky Balboa's quest for gold (championship)
    had something in common with Vasco Nunez Balboa? A weak theory to
    be sure, but no weaker than yours based on a 'B'. :)

    http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/page/b/balboa.shtml

    ASAAR, Apr 5, 2009