Downstream effects of Xtra's decision to can newsgroups

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
    ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Apr 29, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Enkidu

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:27:53 +1200, in message <>,
    Enkidu wrote:

    > All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
    > ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...



    Which are the ISPs' whose newsgroups service is dependant on Xtra's news server?


    Paradise used to use Xtra's news server (through a proxy) but
    changed ~5 years ago.



    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."
    Ralph Fox, Apr 29, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Enkidu

    stevesub Guest

    I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
    free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
    Clears servfice sucks.

    Steve
    stevesub, Apr 29, 2006
    #3
  4. Enkidu

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
    > ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff


    Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
    well as just the xtra home customers?
    Geopelia, Apr 30, 2006
    #4
  5. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:03:26 +1200, Geopelia wrote:

    > Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
    > well as just the xtra home customers?


    Xtra is killing its nntp server. It won't have anything to provide to
    anything.


    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
    2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 30, 2006
    #5
  6. Enkidu

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:03:26 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:
    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
    >> ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...
    >>

    >Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
    >well as just the xtra home customers?
    >

    Of course. Otherwise they'd still have to maintain a news server and
    do the replication of posts, which is where the expense comes in.
    Sue Bilstein, Apr 30, 2006
    #6
  7. Enkidu

    Dai Kiwi Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:04:08 +1200, Sue Bilstein
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:03:26 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >wrote:
    >>"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> All those of you switching providers because of this should check to
    >>> ensure that your new service provider does not get their feed from Xtra...
    >>>

    >>Why? Are xtra stopping newsgroups to their service provider customers, as
    >>well as just the xtra home customers?
    >>

    >Of course. Otherwise they'd still have to maintain a news server and
    >do the replication of posts, which is where the expense comes in.


    Question is, what is the likely cost that Xtra reckon they're saving?
    Lets think about this.

    Daily traffic across usenet is supposed to be in the 4TB range, and on
    the order of 99% of this is supposedly binaries. So excluding the
    alt.binaries* & alt.warez* heirarchies should leave a newsfeed of
    40GB/day required, with an average sustained feed of ~4Mbits/sec & a
    peak capacity probably 3-4x that.

    Assuming a quarter of this is spam & therefore stripped by filters
    that leaves storage requirements of ~30GB/day. Keeping a month's
    storage is therefore on the order of 1,000GB, which in a raid array
    could be held on 10x 200GB disk drives. Double that to keep a backup.

    Staff cost shouldn't need to be more than a couple of FTEs spread
    among a number of existing staff (i.e. as well as being an XYZ you are
    also a part-time news-admin)

    Given Xtra's customer base I cannot believe that this is a significant
    cost to Xtra or a significant drain on their bandwidth, hardware,
    storage or staffing requirements.
    --
    Remove .NZ from address to reply
    Dai Kiwi, May 1, 2006
    #7
  8. On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:54:13 +1200, Dai Kiwi wrote:

    > Given Xtra's customer base I cannot believe that this is a significant
    > cost to Xtra or a significant drain on their bandwidth, hardware,
    > storage or staffing requirements.


    Under normal circumstances I would agree with you on this point.

    Given Xtra's installed user base what you say is a perfectly reasonable
    and logical conclusion.

    I get the impression, however, that Xtra's infrastructure simply cannot
    cope with the degree of service its customers are asking for.

    I think this is why Xtra does not deliver data transfer at its advertised
    speeds. I think this is also why Xtra is scrapping its Usenet server.

    I think it is substantially unable to provide internet connectivity at the
    level now being asked of it.


    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
    2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 1, 2006
    #8
  9. stevesub <> wrote:

    > I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
    > free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
    > Clears servfice sucks.
    >
    > Steve


    Google's web interface sucks compared to any decent Usenet client, so
    it's hardly an option for any serious Usenet junkie.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 2, 2006
    #9
  10. Enkidu

    kiwigal Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > stevesub <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
    > > free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
    > > Clears servfice sucks.
    > >
    > > Steve

    >
    > Google's web interface sucks compared to any decent Usenet client, so
    > it's hardly an option for any serious Usenet junkie.


    I tried a 'decent usenet client' ages ago- recommended by people who
    thought outlook was a joke- I found it troublesome- too many bits and
    peices for me to figure. Made no differemce in the end because I
    decided I didn't want NG messages in my inbox- regardless of the
    newsserver- google suits me just fine.
    kiwigal, May 2, 2006
    #10
  11. On 2 May 2006 00:10:32 -0700, "kiwigal" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >
    >Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> stevesub <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
    >> > free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
    >> > Clears servfice sucks.
    >> >
    >> > Steve

    >>
    >> Google's web interface sucks compared to any decent Usenet client, so
    >> it's hardly an option for any serious Usenet junkie.

    >
    >I tried a 'decent usenet client' ages ago- recommended by people who
    >thought outlook was a joke- I found it troublesome- too many bits and
    >peices for me to figure. Made no differemce in the end because I
    >decided I didn't want NG messages in my inbox- regardless of the
    >newsserver- google suits me just fine.


    Outlook isn't just a joke, it's a bad joke. Try Free Agent (as in
    Freeware). It is a very user friendly newsreader (not a news client).
    It leaves OE and Google for dead.
    Robert Feigel, May 2, 2006
    #11
  12. On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:29:52 +1200, Robert Feigel
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >On 2 May 2006 00:10:32 -0700, "kiwigal" <>
    >magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>
    >>Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>> stevesub <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> > I have been using Google newgroups for over a year now. t is the best
    >>> > free newsgroup service that I can find - any others still out there????
    >>> > Clears servfice sucks.
    >>> >
    >>> > Steve
    >>>
    >>> Google's web interface sucks compared to any decent Usenet client, so
    >>> it's hardly an option for any serious Usenet junkie.

    >>
    >>I tried a 'decent usenet client' ages ago- recommended by people who
    >>thought outlook was a joke- I found it troublesome- too many bits and
    >>peices for me to figure. Made no differemce in the end because I
    >>decided I didn't want NG messages in my inbox- regardless of the
    >>newsserver- google suits me just fine.

    >
    >Outlook isn't just a joke, it's a bad joke. Try Free Agent (as in
    >Freeware). It is a very user friendly newsreader (not a news client).
    >It leaves OE and Google for dead.



    Link for Free Agent: http://www.forteinc.com/agent/
    Robert Feigel, May 2, 2006
    #12
  13. Enkidu

    kiwigal Guest

    Robert Feigel wrote:
    > On 2 May 2006 00:10:32 -0700, "kiwigal" <>


    > >I tried a 'decent usenet client' ages ago- recommended by people who
    > >thought outlook was a joke- I found it troublesome- too many bits and
    > >peices for me to figure. Made no differemce in the end because I
    > >decided I didn't want NG messages in my inbox- regardless of the
    > >newsserver- google suits me just fine.

    >
    > Outlook isn't just a joke, it's a bad joke. Try Free Agent (as in
    > Freeware). It is a very user friendly newsreader (not a news client).
    > It leaves OE and Google for dead.


    I don't have a problem with google and I didn't have a problem with
    outlook either but then I wouldn't know what other servers can do- does
    it really matter anyway I mean all I want to do is read stuff and
    respond if I feel like it- google lets me do that.
    kiwigal, May 2, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Delorian
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    8,359
    Chris
    Sep 19, 2005
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    663
  3. haydude

    Setting DSL downstream Speed

    haydude, May 27, 2006, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    5,142
  4. MaryL
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,809
    Plato
    Aug 8, 2005
  5. David
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    268
    John S.
    May 2, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page