    how does a camera with 1280x960 capcure images at lower resolution, say
    1024x768? is there a mathematical downsampling algorithm, or simply
    "skips" some pixels?

    chibitul, Jul 26, 2003

  2. chibitul

    Guest

    In message
    <>,
    chibitul <> wrote:

    >how does a camera with 1280x960 capcure images at lower resolution, say
    >1024x768? is there a mathematical downsampling algorithm, or simply
    >"skips" some pixels?

    I can't say that no camera does it, but skipping pixels would be a
    disaster, especially if the full resolution isn't a multiple of the
    output, as in your example; that would distort the placement of pixels
    in the scene, such that you'd have tiles of the original scene, with
    missing grid-lines, and the left-over tiles stretched to cover the
    missing space. Even if it was every other pixel, the placement of
    pixels wouldn't be distorted, but the image would be too sharp and have
    artifacts, because the anti-aliasing filter that prevents moire will be
    basically over-ridden.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Jul 27, 2003