    Keep Smilin
    Look after your family..

    ---

    Barnze, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Barnze wrote:

    > Is there any way I can stop downloads on my pc?
    > I share my pc with my son who is downloading stuff for gaming and bringing
    > in virus & trojans can I allow him access but stop downloads?
    > Any help would be great.
    > Cheers Barnze

    What operating system? What do you want him to be allowed to do? How
    computer literate is he?

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Barnze

    Barnze Guest

    System running ME..Quite a cleaver lad but anything would help. I could fool
    him with words if you know what I mean.

    --
    Keep Smilin
    Look after your family..

    ---

    Barnze, Apr 14, 2004
  4. >Barnze wrote:
    >>Palindrome wrote:
    >>>Barnze wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way I can stop downloads on my pc?
    >>> I share my pc with my son who is downloading stuff for gaming and
    >>> bringing
    >>> in virus & trojans can I allow him access but stop downloads?
    >>> Any help would be great.
    >>> Cheers Barnze
    >>>

    >>What operating system? What do you want him to be allowed to do?

    How >>computer literate is he?

    > System running ME..Quite a cleaver lad but anything would help. I could fool
    > him with words if you know what I mean.

    Here are some options that you might want to consider:

    1) Use software such as HyperOS to create an operating system for him
    that runs from a RAM disk. He won't be able to save anything
    permanently and anything he does change will be undone when the
    computer reboots.

    2) Set up the computer with two copies of the operating system, in
    separate partitions and with a boot menu that lets you choose which to
    boot. He can screw his up without affecting yours. You can overwrite
    his copy with a copy of yours to give him a fresh start, when needed.

    3) Get two disk caddies and an extra hard disk and clone your hard
    disk onto the extra disk. You get your own system as does he. Much the
    same as 2 above.

    4) Make your system a bit more secure, see:
    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windows9598.php
    However, most of the measures are easy to bypass on WinMe.

    5) Upgrade to an operating system that it is possible to secure more
    effectively, e.g. XP Professional.

    Most of the above are dependent on the specifcation of your machine.

    My experience has been that it is very difficult to convince some one
    not to download stuff until after they have had a serious problem. So
    I would give him his own disk and then do, " I told you so".

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Barnze

    FIG JAM Guest

    Fool him with words?
    Try this.

    Download anything to my system again and I'll kick 2 tons of shit out of you.
    See if that works.

    Oh and before someone asks me to include......blah blah blah, I still haven't
    found out what is wrong with OE that stops me from being able to view the
    message body.

    FIG JAM, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Barnze

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Palindr☻me posted ...

    > 3) Get two disk caddies and an extra hard disk and clone your hard
    > disk onto the extra disk. You get your own system as does he. Much the
    > same as 2 above.

    Agreed, most effective solution.

    > My experience has been that it is very difficult to convince some one
    > not to download stuff until after they have had a serious problem. So
    > I would give him his own disk and then do, " I told you so".

    Heheheh ... ;)

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Barnze

    Paul Kersey Guest

    Buy your boy a computer of his own. They are really cheap and he will have
    to learn to deal with all the nonsense he downloads on his own PC.

    Paul Kersey, Apr 14, 2004

  8. > Download anything to my system again and I'll kick 2 tons of shit out of

    you.

    Exactly what I thought :)

    Jackjlkjlkj532, Apr 14, 2004
  9. Barnze

    trout Guest

    FIG JAM wrote:
    <snip>

    > Oh and before someone asks me to include......blah blah blah, I still
    > haven't found out what is wrong with OE that stops me from being able
    > to view the message body.

    You're saying that you *have* "Include message in reply" selected,
    under Tools, Options, Send tab; and it doesn't work?
    --
    "Was this mentioned in another thread?"

    trout, Apr 14, 2004
  10. Barnze

    Plato Guest

    Barnze wrote:

    > Is there any way I can stop downloads on my pc?
    > I share my pc with my son who is downloading stuff for gaming and bringing
    > in virus & trojans can I allow him access but stop downloads?
    > Any help would be great.

    1. Get him his own PC and let him do what he wants to
    2. Tell him NOT to download anything or his ACS to the PC will be
    terminated.

    Dont try to use software to fix a proper parenting problem. It's your
    PC, set the rules or dont allow acs. Simple as mud.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 15, 2004
  11. Barnze

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Barnze decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Is there any way I can stop downloads on my pc?
    > I share my pc with my son who is downloading stuff for gaming and
    > bringing in virus & trojans can I allow him access but stop downloads?
    > Any help would be great.
    > Cheers Barnze

    A little program called Parental Control works wonders.

    Tell him enough is enough and if he doesn't do things your way, it's NO
    COMPUTER.

    The ultimate threat, works every time.
    --
    slumpy