Downloading .wmv files with IE 6.0

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Memnon, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Memnon

    Memnon Guest

    How do I get Internet Explorer (or media player!) open/play/download media
    files with a .wmv or .unk extension from a secure website? Either I left
    click on the file icon to open; in which case IE displays a blank page
    with website/file address and a placeholder icon--instead playing the file
    in Media Player.

    If I right click and select " Save Target As" I get an error message:

    "Internet Explorer cannot down load http.<file name address> Internet
    Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is
    either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

    This only happens with .wmv files (which are apparently downloaded as .unk
    files). Keep in mind I am a paying registered member of the site in question
    too!!

    Is there some Internet Explorer or Media Player setting that I need to
    adjust? Can anyone offer any advice? I was once able to download .wmv
    media files just fine until a few IE critical updates ago.

    Memnon, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Memnon

    °Mike° Guest

    If they are streaming media files, they are not designed to
    be downloaded.

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:11:40 GMT, in
    <MG8Tb.5361$>
    Memnon scrawled: