    tapes i wish to put on DVD and want the best quality - what do you
    recommend?

    Thanks
    SS, Dec 18, 2007

  2. SS

    Rôgêr Guest

    SS wrote:
    > When using software video editors to transfer data from a mini DV camera,
    > what is the file format of the stored data? Do different software packages
    > store video in different formats and will some software give better quality
    > results (which is the best format for archiving video)? I have hours of
    > tapes i wish to put on DVD and want the best quality - what do you
    > recommend?

    The native format for captured Mini DV is .avi. And if you keep it .avi,
    the quality stays highest, but for burning as a DVD (i.e. a disk that
    you pop into any DVD player and it works) it'll get compressed to .mp2
    but with a .vob extension. If you store the original .avi file as a data
    file on a DVD the quality remains the same but the file sizes can be
    huge. For most folks the .vob option is good enough.

    There are many editing programs out there. If you're really into this
    I'd suggest getting Vegas Video, even an older version from eBay (v4 or
    later) would be good. It's not just good, it's damn good and gives you
    lots of options. And if you get DVD Architect to go with it, it makes
    burning DVDs easy.
    Rôgêr, Dec 18, 2007