Downloading Pictures

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Gross, Sep 29, 2010.

  1. Mike Gross

    Mike Gross Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:11:37 -0400, Andy wrote:
    >
    >> How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    > First thing to do is format the memory media on the camera. Has to be
    > done once before anything can be copied from it. Then format the hard
    > drive on your PC. Then hook up a parallel (printer) cable between the
    > two, and the pics will auto-transfer right over. Very easy.

    You really are fucking retarded, you know that?
    Mike Gross, Sep 29, 2010

  2. Mike Gross

    Andy Guest

    How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.
    Andy, Sep 30, 2010

  3. Mike Gross

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/29/2010 9:11 PM Just to please that super-ego, Andy wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    Using the software that came with the camera. If you stole the camera
    and don't have the software, you can go to the camera's web site and
    download it from there. Good Luck

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Sep 30, 2010
  4. "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    cable of a kind might help unless the picters are on the memory card.
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Sep 30, 2010
  5. Mike Gross

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:11:37 -0400, Andy wrote:

    > How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    First thing to do is format the memory media on the camera. Has to be
    done once before anything can be copied from it. Then format the hard
    drive on your PC. Then hook up a parallel (printer) cable between the
    two, and the pics will auto-transfer right over. Very easy.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he backed into a squad car.
    Dan C, Sep 30, 2010
  6. Mike Gross

    Mike Easter Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    Follow the instructions in the camera's manual using the camera's cable.
    Sometimes it is useful to use the software which came with the camera.

    The typical camera comes in a little box with a manual and cable and CD.
    Maybe a wrist strap.

    Or did you open the box, take the camera out, throw away the rest of the
    contents and start shooting?

    If you will report the brand and modelno of the camera, more specific
    instructions may follow.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 30, 2010
  7. Mike Gross

    Tony Guest

    Assuming they're not on the built in memory that came with the camera.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 30, 2010
  8. Mike Gross

    thanatoid Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Follow the instructions in the camera's manual using the
    > camera's cable. Sometimes it is useful to use the software
    > which came with the camera.
    >
    > The typical camera comes in a little box with a manual and
    > cable and CD. Maybe a wrist strap.
    >
    > Or did you open the box, take the camera out, throw away
    > the rest of the contents and start shooting?
    >
    > If you will report the brand and modelno of the camera,
    > more specific instructions may follow.

    Hey Mike, I did not know you were an excellent comedian as well!

    ;-]

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid
    thanatoid, Sep 30, 2010
  9. Mike Gross

    Parko Guest

    Parko, Sep 30, 2010
  10. Mike Gross

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 03:19:12 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:11:37 -0400, Andy wrote:
    >
    >> How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    > First thing to do is format the memory media on the camera.

    Is there any doubt that you are mentally retarded?

    Meat Plow, Sep 30, 2010
  11. Parko wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 03:09:28 -0400, Tony wrote:
    >
    >> Assuming they're not on the built in memory that came with the camera.

    > In that case...
    > http://pedalrevolutionblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/smashed1.jpg

    Looks tempting :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 30, 2010
  12. Mike Gross

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Evan Platt
    <> writes
    >On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:11:37 -0400, "Andy" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    >Connect the unnamed camera to your unnamed computer running an unnamed
    >operating system with a USB cable, then copy the images from the
    >camera to your My Pictures folder.

    Indeed. It's easy. You shouldn't need any special software (certainly if
    you're using Windows)

    When you connect your camera for the first time, the computer should
    identify it as a new drive (probably a 'removable disk'), which you may
    have to assign an unused letter to (say E or F). Open (or explore) that
    drive, and you'll see your pictures listed (presumably as JPG files).
    Simply highlight them all, and copy* them to wherever you want on you
    PC. When they are safely copied over (check that they really are), go
    back to the camera drive, and delete the JPG files.
    *A 'copy' is safer than a 'cut' - just in case something goes wrong.
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Sep 30, 2010
  13. On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:09:07 +0100, Ian Jackson
    <> wrote:

    >In message <>, Evan Platt
    ><> writes
    >>On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:11:37 -0400, "Andy" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>How can I download pictures from my camera the My Pictures folder.

    >>Connect the unnamed camera to your unnamed computer running an unnamed
    >>operating system with a USB cable, then copy the images from the
    >>camera to your My Pictures folder.

    >Indeed. It's easy. You shouldn't need any special software (certainly if
    >you're using Windows)
    >
    >When you connect your camera for the first time, the computer should
    >identify it as a new drive (probably a 'removable disk'), which you may
    >have to assign an unused letter to (say E or F). Open (or explore) that
    >drive, and you'll see your pictures listed (presumably as JPG files).
    >Simply highlight them all, and copy* them to wherever you want on you
    >PC. When they are safely copied over (check that they really are), go
    >back to the camera drive, and delete the JPG files.
    >*A 'copy' is safer than a 'cut' - just in case something goes wrong.

    Many cameras DO need special software. My Canon G9, whch is otherwise
    a very nice little camera, and not a cheapy, will not plug and play
    with a computer directy by simply connecting it with a USB cable. The
    required software is miserable, so I just keep a cheap little USB card
    reader in the camera case. I pop the card out of the camera and into
    the card reader. I think it is probably a lot faster than using a USB
    cable to the camera.
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Sep 30, 2010
  14. Mike Gross

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>,
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com writes
    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:09:07 +0100, Ian Jackson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Evan Platt
    >><> writes

    >>>Connect the unnamed camera to your unnamed computer running an unnamed
    >>>operating system with a USB cable, then copy the images from the
    >>>camera to your My Pictures folder.

    >>Indeed. It's easy. You shouldn't need any special software (certainly if
    >>you're using Windows)
    >>
    >>When you connect your camera for the first time, the computer should
    >>identify it as a new drive (probably a 'removable disk'), which you may
    >>have to assign an unused letter to (say E or F). Open (or explore) that
    >>drive, and you'll see your pictures listed (presumably as JPG files).
    >>Simply highlight them all, and copy* them to wherever you want on you
    >>PC. When they are safely copied over (check that they really are), go
    >>back to the camera drive, and delete the JPG files.
    >>*A 'copy' is safer than a 'cut' - just in case something goes wrong.

    >Many cameras DO need special software. My Canon G9, whch is otherwise
    >a very nice little camera, and not a cheapy, will not plug and play
    >with a computer directy by simply connecting it with a USB cable. The
    >required software is miserable, so I just keep a cheap little USB card
    >reader in the camera case. I pop the card out of the camera and into
    >the card reader. I think it is probably a lot faster than using a USB
    >cable to the camera.

    I must admit, I've only had experience with two. Both plug and play. I
    assumed that most did (don't all modern USB devices?). As the G9 costs
    £300 to £450, depending on where you look, I'm not about to try and
    prove you wrong!
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Sep 30, 2010
  15. On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:13:47 +0100, Ian Jackson
    <> wrote:

    >In message <>,
    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com writes
    >>On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:09:07 +0100, Ian Jackson
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In message <>, Evan Platt
    >>><> writes

    >>>Indeed. It's easy. You shouldn't need any special software (certainly if
    >>>you're using Windows)
    >>>
    >>>When you connect your camera for the first time, the computer should
    >>>identify it as a new drive (probably a 'removable disk'), which you may
    >>>have to assign an unused letter to (say E or F). Open (or explore) that
    >>>drive, and you'll see your pictures listed (presumably as JPG files).
    >>>Simply highlight them all, and copy* them to wherever you want on you
    >>>PC. When they are safely copied over (check that they really are), go
    >>>back to the camera drive, and delete the JPG files.
    >>>*A 'copy' is safer than a 'cut' - just in case something goes wrong.

    >>Many cameras DO need special software. My Canon G9, whch is otherwise
    >>a very nice little camera, and not a cheapy, will not plug and play
    >>with a computer directy by simply connecting it with a USB cable. The
    >>required software is miserable, so I just keep a cheap little USB card
    >>reader in the camera case. I pop the card out of the camera and into
    >>the card reader. I think it is probably a lot faster than using a USB
    >>cable to the camera.
    >>

    >I must admit, I've only had experience with two. Both plug and play. I
    >assumed that most did (don't all modern USB devices?). As the G9 costs
    >£300 to £450, depending on where you look, I'm not about to try and
    >prove you wrong!

    I was quite surprised to find out about that lack of that feature in
    an otherwise pretty nice camera. I have no idea why they did that.

    I bought one anyway, because of it's other attributes. I'm perfectly
    happy with it, and don't really mind the loss that much. My laptop has
    a card reader built in, so it's really not a deal killer of a problem.
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Sep 30, 2010
  16. Mike Gross

    Dan C Guest

    Dan C, Sep 30, 2010
  17. Mike Gross

    Bill Guest

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:26:45 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:13:47 +0100, Ian Jackson
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I must admit, I've only had experience with two. Both plug and play. I
    >>assumed that most did (don't all modern USB devices?). As the G9 costs
    >>£300 to £450, depending on where you look, I'm not about to try and
    >>prove you wrong!

    >I was quite surprised to find out about that lack of that feature in
    >an otherwise pretty nice camera. I have no idea why they did that.
    >
    >I bought one anyway, because of it's other attributes. I'm perfectly
    >happy with it, and don't really mind the loss that much. My laptop has
    >a card reader built in, so it's really not a deal killer of a problem.

    I went looking for some documentation for you showing that the G9
    didn't support direct hookup without installing the software that came
    with it. I found someone in a forum talking about it and someone
    respnded that they thought that what didn't work in Win XP had been
    addressed in Vista. I just got home and plugged my G9 into my Win7 64
    bit laptop using a USB cable and Win7 automatically installed a driver
    and I could access the camera just as if it was a regular drive.

    I had never thought to try it with the newer operating system!
    Bill, Sep 30, 2010