    3. I have a firewire card in my computer, would that be an option?

    Thanks
    NK
    nk, Feb 13, 2006

  2. nk wrote:

    > As some of you may know a lot of drivers are not currently supported
    > on X64 version of Windows XP.

    > My questions are:
    > 1. Can I use a card reader instead?

    Yes.

    > 2. If so which one? How does the card reader connect to the computer.
    > If I use
    > a USB connection, will I run into the same issue of the driver not
    > being supported?
    > 3. I have a firewire card in my computer, would that be an option?

    USB should work fine - the support for most readers should be built
    right in. I ran into this same problem when I tried XP64. While I
    couldn't connect my camera to XP64, I could pull the CF card and plug
    it into the card reader built into my printer.

    Firewire, I have no idea.

    --
    www.ericschreiber.com
    Eric Schreiber, Feb 13, 2006

  3. nk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    nk wrote:
    > I recently purchased a new computer (64 bit processor) and installed
    > Windows XP X64.
    > As some of you may know a lot of drivers are not currently supported on
    > X64 version of Windows XP.
    > I have a canon powershot s100 and the driver does not work on x64.
    > I do not have a PCMIA card in my computer.
    >
    > My questions are:
    > 1. Can I use a card reader instead?
    > 2. If so which one? How does the card reader connect to the computer.
    > If I use
    > a USB connection, will I run into the same issue of the driver not
    > being supported?
    > 3. I have a firewire card in my computer, would that be an option?
    >
    > Thanks
    > NK

    If the computer supports USB, then a USB card reader is a good option.
    I can't imagine WinXP X64 not supporting USB!
    Ron Hunter, Feb 17, 2006
  4. On 13 Feb 2006 13:27:30 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "nk" <>
    wrote:

    >I recently purchased a new computer (64 bit processor) and installed
    >Windows XP X64.
    >As some of you may know a lot of drivers are not currently supported on
    >X64 version of Windows XP.
    >I have a canon powershot s100 and the driver does not work on x64.
    >I do not have a PCMIA card in my computer.
    >
    >My questions are:
    >1. Can I use a card reader instead?

    Yes

    >2. If so which one? How does the card reader connect to the computer.
    >If I use
    > a USB connection, will I run into the same issue of the driver not
    >being supported?

    Any of the newer ones would be fine. Just make sure it is a true USB 2.0
    and supports hi-Speed, not just Full-Speed. Full speed is just the same as
    1.1. Consider a multi card reader for multiple card support now or in the
    future. If you also have any use for a hub there is the Iogear GUH284R USB
    2.0 6-Port Hub and 12-in-4 Card Reader. I bought one for U$25 at Amazon and
    use it on the new 64 bit XP x64 system I just built.

    >3. I have a firewire card in my computer, would that be an option?

    I would think a fire wire reader would work as well, but have no
    experience.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 17, 2006