    the camera menu. One picture at a time. 128MB would have been a
    sufficient memory card size if this is the case.

    thanks
    Doug Smith, Mar 19, 2006

  2. Doug Smith

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    The recommended way is to use a card reader. This way you'll have all the
    facilities in Windows to copy, delete, rename, or view your pictures.

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Mar 19, 2006

  3. Doug Smith

    Roy G Guest

    "Doug Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've had my new D50 for a week or so now, I'm enjoying this camera very
    > much.
    >
    > So far the only way I can see to download pictures from the camera onto my
    > computer is to use the Picture Perfect software. This software seems have
    > only 1 option: download all the pictures at once. I can't figure out how
    > to:
    > see thumbnails of pictures on the camera
    > choose which pictures I want to download
    > delete pictures from the camera via the software
    >
    > Surely some of this is possible using the software included with the
    > camera? If not, I'm going to have to be constantly deleting pictures
    > using
    > the camera menu. One picture at a time. 128MB would have been a
    > sufficient memory card size if this is the case.
    >
    > thanks

    Hi.

    I have owned a D70 for just over a year. Nikon's software stayed on my
    Computer for nearly all of 2 days. It is crap.
    Just plug your camera into the computer via its USB cable, switch the Camera
    On, then go to my Computer and you should see a new Drive. On that drive
    will be a Folder and inside that another one. Just keep opening them until
    you come to the one with all the pictures.

    It is then just a matter of selecting, then copy and paste or drag across to
    a folder on your machine.

    The benefit of a card reader is that you will never knock your Camera over
    the edge of the Computer desk, and the little rubber plug over its USB
    socket will not get snapped off.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Mar 19, 2006
  4. Doug Smith

    MB Guest

    Surely you can download the images via USB without any photo software.
    Attach to the USB cable, turn camera on, go to My Computer, click on the
    camera's name (like a drive), copy and paste. Yes, all the images at once,
    or you've chosen to delete the images--of course, one at a time--before
    downloading. If you download all at once, you can mark them (hold down Ctrl
    and move your mouse from image to image that you want to delete) and click
    Del. Is that all too much for you? Did you ever have a film camera?
    Compare how easy it is today to get your pics with the days of yore.
    Geeez!!!
    MB, Mar 19, 2006
  5. On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:06:57 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Roy G"
    <> wrote:

    >I have owned a D70 for just over a year. Nikon's software stayed on my
    >Computer for nearly all of 2 days. It is crap.
    >Just plug your camera into the computer via its USB cable, switch the Camera
    >On, then go to my Computer and you should see a new Drive. On that drive
    >will be a Folder and inside that another one. Just keep opening them until
    >you come to the one with all the pictures.
    >
    >It is then just a matter of selecting, then copy and paste or drag across to
    >a folder on your machine.

    Also be sure the camera is set to Mass Storage and not PTP.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 19, 2006
  6. Doug Smith wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've had my new D50 for a week or so now, I'm enjoying this camera
    > very much.
    >
    > So far the only way I can see to download pictures from the camera
    > onto my computer is to use the Picture Perfect software. This
    > software seems have only 1 option: download all the pictures at once.
    > I can't figure out how to:
    > see thumbnails of pictures on the camera
    > choose which pictures I want to download
    > delete pictures from the camera via the software
    >
    > Surely some of this is possible using the software included with the
    > camera? If not, I'm going to have to be constantly deleting pictures
    > using the camera menu. One picture at a time. 128MB would have been
    > a sufficient memory card size if this is the case.
    >
    > thanks

    My own Nikon point-and-shoot camera came with a program called NikonView.
    The camera is recognised as soon as you plug it in to USB, and you have the
    option to copy either all the images, or images taken within a week, or
    today, or within a month, in fact just about any period of time. It also has
    the facility for copying across only images which are marked in the camera,
    all images, or virtually any combination of dates and notations. You can
    also use the Nikon Editor to perform simple edits, or choose any other
    editor on your PC, and open it from within NikonView.

    In fact, NikonView is so good that I use it to upload images from my
    Panasonic FZ20, Kodak 280, Coolpix 3200, and my daughter's Coolpix 2200.

    If NikonView is no longer supplied with new cameras from Nikon, then I think
    that is a grave mistake on Nikon's part.

    Other cameras, such as my Panasonic FZ20, came with a program called SD
    Viewer, which is nothing more than a glorified Wndows Explorer with
    thumbnails, you have to locate the camera as a drive, then transfer (copy)
    any pictures you wish to keep. There is no facility for editing except by
    opening the transferred pictures in another editor.

    Have you really examined the CD that came with the camera? I can't believe
    that Nikon have changed their software.

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Mar 19, 2006
  7. Doug Smith

    Roy G Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:06:57 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Roy G"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have owned a D70 for just over a year. Nikon's software stayed on my
    >>Computer for nearly all of 2 days. It is crap.
    >>Just plug your camera into the computer via its USB cable, switch the
    >>Camera
    >>On, then go to my Computer and you should see a new Drive. On that drive
    >>will be a Folder and inside that another one. Just keep opening them until
    >>you come to the one with all the pictures.
    >>
    >>It is then just a matter of selecting, then copy and paste or drag across
    >>a folder on your machine.

    > Also be sure the camera is set to Mass Storage and not PTP.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    OOps. I forgot about that Ed.

    Thank you.

    Doug Smith was also remarking on having to delete images one at a time.

    That is not the case. Nikon Menu - "Format" is right there. That will clear
    your card. The D70 can do it by a 2 button press, without going into the
    menu. Have a read at the Manual.

    I just don't like using the Computer to delete files from my Card. I always
    use the Camera for Camera related activities.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Mar 19, 2006
  8. Doug Smith

    Jim Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    > Doug Smith wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've had my new D50 for a week or so now, I'm enjoying this camera
    >> very much.
    >>
    >> So far the only way I can see to download pictures from the camera
    >> onto my computer is to use the Picture Perfect software. This
    >> software seems have only 1 option: download all the pictures at once.
    >> I can't figure out how to:
    >> see thumbnails of pictures on the camera
    >> choose which pictures I want to download
    >> delete pictures from the camera via the software
    >>
    >> Surely some of this is possible using the software included with the
    >> camera? If not, I'm going to have to be constantly deleting pictures
    >> using the camera menu. One picture at a time. 128MB would have been
    >> a sufficient memory card size if this is the case.
    >>
    >> thanks

    > My own Nikon point-and-shoot camera came with a program called NikonView.
    > The camera is recognised as soon as you plug it in to USB, and you have
    > the
    > option to copy either all the images, or images taken within a week, or
    > today, or within a month, in fact just about any period of time. It also
    > has
    > the facility for copying across only images which are marked in the
    > camera,
    > all images, or virtually any combination of dates and notations. You can
    > also use the Nikon Editor to perform simple edits, or choose any other
    > editor on your PC, and open it from within NikonView.
    >
    > In fact, NikonView is so good that I use it to upload images from my
    > Panasonic FZ20, Kodak 280, Coolpix 3200, and my daughter's Coolpix 2200.
    >
    > If NikonView is no longer supplied with new cameras from Nikon, then I
    > think
    > that is a grave mistake on Nikon's part.
    >
    > Other cameras, such as my Panasonic FZ20, came with a program called SD
    > Viewer, which is nothing more than a glorified Wndows Explorer with
    > thumbnails, you have to locate the camera as a drive, then transfer (copy)
    > any pictures you wish to keep. There is no facility for editing except by
    > opening the transferred pictures in another editor.
    >
    > Have you really examined the CD that came with the camera? I can't believe
    > that Nikon have changed their software.
    >
    > Dennis.

    All that Picture Project or Nikon View really do is download the images from
    the camera to the program so that the program can store them somewhere. You
    can do the same thing without either of those programs by either connecting
    to the card through the camera with Windows Explorer. Explorer gives you
    all of those wonderful things the PP or NV do.
    If you really want to do editing, you can access the card inside the camera
    with your favorite image processing program. As you can tell, neither PP
    nor NV add any functionality.
    Another way is to use a card reader (they are cheap these days). With a
    card reader, you do not need to connect anything to your camera.
    Jim
    Jim, Mar 19, 2006
  9. Roy G <> wrote:

    > I have owned a D70 for just over a year. Nikon's software stayed on my
    > Computer for nearly all of 2 days. It is crap.
    > Just plug your camera into the computer via its USB cable, switch the Camera
    > On, then go to my Computer and you should see a new Drive. On that drive
    > will be a Folder and inside that another one. Just keep opening them until
    > you come to the one with all the pictures.

    If shooting RAW, you won't see thumbnails of the .NEF files. You will need to get Microsoft's RAW viewer, which integrated nicely with expolorer. My only wish is that it would work with DNG format as well.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 20, 2006
  10. Doug Smith

    Hunt Guest

    In article <Xns978AE0CD5C4C4sluggotelusnet@198.80.55.250>, sluggo_sales@telus
    ..net says...

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've had my new D50 for a week or so now, I'm enjoying this camera very
    >much.
    >
    >So far the only way I can see to download pictures from the camera onto my
    >computer is to use the Picture Perfect software. This software seems have
    >only 1 option: download all the pictures at once. I can't figure out how
    >to:
    >see thumbnails of pictures on the camera
    >choose which pictures I want to download
    >delete pictures from the camera via the software
    >
    >Surely some of this is possible using the software included with the
    >camera? If not, I'm going to have to be constantly deleting pictures using
    >the camera menu. One picture at a time. 128MB would have been a
    >sufficient memory card size if this is the case.
    >
    >thanks

    As others have stated, any image software should be able to handle the
    transfer of the images to your computer. WinExplorer/My Computer can also do
    it.

    Now for some suggestions and caveats:
    1.) Get a card reader. While you can plug the camera directly into the
    computer, placing the card in a reader has several advantages. First it will
    be faster, and second, you don't have to worry about the battery on the camera
    being 100%.
    2.) Copy (not Move) all files to a folder on your computer - all of them.
    Then, using any image viewing software, you can decide if you have some that
    will never be worth viewing, and they can be Deleted from your machine.
    3.) Make regular backups of all of your images. A removable HDD is good, CD/
    DVDs are OK, and tape is another option. These files are your negatives.
    4.) Any editing should be done to a copy of the original image file, never to
    the original file, itself.
    5.) Only remove images from the card by re-formatting it in the camera. Many
    cameras are sensitive to the format, and will not do well, if you format via
    the computer. Canons are probably more sensitive than Nikon, but it is always
    a good idea to format in-camera.
    6.) I'd only recommend Deleting files from the card via the camera, when you
    KNOW that it is messed up, or you are running out of space. Also, there is a
    View button for the images on the back of the Nikon. It is upper left on the
    D-70, and you can set the View for 1x, 4x, etc. and toggle through with the
    circular button on the right of the LCD - the one with the four arrows. Here
    you will need to consult your manual for the exact placement of the View
    button on your camera. There should also be a Trash icon button - lower right
    on the D-70, and you then need to press OK, when prompted. D-50 should be
    similar, but I don't know for sure. However, this is a slow, two-step/image
    procedure, and I would only recommend it for above situation, you KNOW that
    the image is absolutely no good.
    Hunt, Mar 21, 2006