Downloading FTA TV shows

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.

    For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    the time.

    Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.

    So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
    usefully watch on the telly itself.

    This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
    time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
    format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
    Illegal?

    Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
    without getting Sky.

    ....and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
    steve, Nov 25, 2005

  2. steve

    Richard Guest

    steve wrote:

    > This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
    > time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
    > format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.

    It really is a lot better that way, seeing the whole picture.
    Richard, Nov 25, 2005

  3. steve

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >
    > For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    > the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    > the time.
    >
    > Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >
    > So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
    > usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >
    > This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
    > time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
    > format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
    > Illegal?
    >
    > Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
    > without getting Sky.
    >
    > ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.

    So you steal it
    shannon, Nov 25, 2005
  4. steve

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:33:14 +1300, shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >>
    >> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    >> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    >> the time.
    >>
    >> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >>
    >> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
    >> usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >>
    >> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
    >> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
    >> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
    >> Illegal?
    >>
    >> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
    >> without getting Sky.
    >>
    >> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
    >>

    > So you steal it

    Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

    Shane, Nov 25, 2005
  5. steve

    CyiPherX Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:14:29 +1300, steve wrote:

    > I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >
    > For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    > the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    > the time.
    >
    > Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    > SNIP

    Have you checked your antenna?, if thats ok, then perhaps TV3 have a
    fault, you could give them a call and let them know, worth a try.

    CyiPherX

    --
    Want to tell the world where you are??
    Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup
    CyiPherX, Nov 25, 2005
  6. steve

    shannon Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:33:14 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >>>
    >>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    >>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    >>> the time.
    >>>
    >>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >>>
    >>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
    >>> usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >>>
    >>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
    >>> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
    >>> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
    >>> Illegal?
    >>>
    >>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
    >>> without getting Sky.
    >>>
    >>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
    >>>

    >> So you steal it

    > Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

    Think of it as importing unauthorised counterfeit copies that infringe
    the copyright of the producer.

    Its a rather hypocritical ethical stance from someone who spends a lot
    of his time in here preaching about the ethical nature of free software
    to then try and excuse his infringement of the IP rights of others on
    the grounds of convenience.
    shannon, Nov 25, 2005
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >>
    >> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    >> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    >> the time.
    >>
    >> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >>
    >> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I
    >> can't usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >>
    >> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at
    >> 21:30......same time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in
    >> 'HDTV' 16:9 format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a
    >> change. Illegal?
    >>
    >> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
    >> without getting Sky.
    >>
    >> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.

    > So you steal it

    More like borrowed.

    I already gave it back to the bit-bucket.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:33:14 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >>>
    >>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy
    >>> in the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50%
    >>> of the time.
    >>>
    >>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >>>
    >>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I
    >>> can't usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >>>
    >>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at
    >>> 21:30......same time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it
    >>> in 'HDTV' 16:9 format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a
    >>> change. Illegal?
    >>>
    >>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
    >>> without getting Sky.
    >>>
    >>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
    >>>

    >> So you steal it

    > Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

    Damn.....sorry I didn't think of that.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > Shane wrote:

    >>> So you steal it

    >> Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

    > Think of it as importing unauthorised counterfeit copies that infringe
    > the copyright of the producer.

    I didn't see an copyright mark on it.

    > Its a rather hypocritical ethical stance from someone who spends a lot
    > of his time in here preaching about the ethical nature of free software
    > to then try and excuse his infringement of the IP rights of others on
    > the grounds of convenience.

    I hope you're not referring to me. If you are, you've got your facts wrong.

    You've blurred me with some other OSS advocate.

    I use open source because its.....convenient...and I don't mind pointing
    that out as you will know.

    Closed source software isn't unethical. Not sure where you got that idea
    from.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    CyiPherX wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:14:29 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >>
    >> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    >> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    >> the time.
    >>
    >> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >> SNIP

    > Have you checked your antenna?, if thats ok, then perhaps TV3 have a
    > fault, you could give them a call and let them know, worth a try.
    >
    > CyiPherX

    Why would be it be just the one channel?
    The rest are fine.
    TV3 used to be fine.
    I'd call if I cared.

    As it is, I don't wantch much and what I do watch I can see via other means.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  11. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >
    > For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like
    > crazy in the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying
    > about 50% of the time.
    >
    > Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >
    > So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I
    > can't usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >
    > This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at
    > 21:30......same time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched
    > it in 'HDTV' 16:9 format on the computer instead...with clean sound
    > for a change.
    > Illegal?
    >
    > Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA
    > program without getting Sky.
    >
    > ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.

    The only way I can think of this being even remotely 'legal' is if you had
    the TV going at the same time with the volume turned down but paused the PC
    and turned the TV up and watched the ads. LOL, however, it's 'legal' to tape
    a program and skip ads so I guess that doesn't work either. <shrug>
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2005
  12. steve

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >>>
    >>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    >>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    >>> the time.
    >>>
    >>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >>>
    >>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I
    >>> can't usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >>>
    >>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at
    >>> 21:30......same time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in
    >>> 'HDTV' 16:9 format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a
    >>> change. Illegal?
    >>>
    >>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
    >>> without getting Sky.
    >>>
    >>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.

    >> So you steal it

    > More like borrowed.
    >
    > I already gave it back to the bit-bucket.

    Who agreed to lend it to you ?

    Its interesting to observe how shallow your commitment to using
    copyright free media is, when you are faced with the temptation of big
    media Jerry Bruckenheimer slack jawed formula eye candy.

    ;-)
    shannon, Nov 26, 2005
  13. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > So you steal it

    I borrowed a digital VHS tape and played it in my digital VHS player from
    the guy 'next door".

    The situation highlights how silly the current law is......that one could
    "steal" something that is freely given away anyway, simply by accessing it
    via a different access method.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  14. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> shannon wrote:

    >>> So you steal it

    >> More like borrowed.
    >>
    >> I already gave it back to the bit-bucket.

    > Who agreed to lend it to you ?

    It was given away freely to the person who lent it to me. No kittens were
    harmed or reproduced in the transaction.

    > Its interesting to observe how shallow your commitment to using
    > copyright free media is, when you are faced with the temptation of big
    > media Jerry Bruckenheimer slack jawed formula eye candy.
    >
    > ;-)

    You must have me confused with some other hypocrite.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  15. steve

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > The only way I can think of this being even remotely 'legal' is if you had
    > the TV going at the same time with the volume turned down but paused the
    > PC and turned the TV up and watched the ads. LOL, however, it's 'legal' to
    > tape a program and skip ads so I guess that doesn't work either. <shrug>

    The law is a mess on this.

    As it is, anyone who owns a video recorder and ever taped a show for a
    friend is violating the law.

    Now move that common place scenario of the past 25 years into a digital
    paradigm with all that implies for disconnecting content from material
    media.....and it gets strange very quickly.

    Culture and practice are at odds with the law.....
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  16. steve

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >

    >> So you steal it

    > I borrowed a digital VHS tape and played it in my digital VHS player from
    > the guy 'next door".
    >
    > The situation highlights how silly the current law is......that one could
    > "steal" something that is freely given away anyway, simply by accessing it
    > via a different access method.

    No, you downloaded it from others who are illegally distributing
    copyright content.
    You can download movies, software etc that you do not have a right to
    that way, just like the TV programme

    You can probably buy a boxed set of DVDs with the programme on legally
    and ethically on Amazon

    Its not given away by being broadcast, its a broadcast transmission
    which is licenced to the broadcaster, who funds its purchase from
    advertising revenue.
    shannon, Nov 26, 2005
  17. steve

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> Think of it as Parallel Importing :)

    >> Think of it as importing unauthorised counterfeit copies that infringe
    >> the copyright of the producer.

    > I didn't see an copyright mark on it.

    Then the copy has been distributed without the copright mark attached.
    Another copyright law infringement.

    Not doing too well here in the ethics department.
    ;)
    shannon, Nov 26, 2005
  18. steve

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
    >
    > For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
    > the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
    > the time.
    >
    > Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
    >
    > So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
    > usefully watch on the telly itself.
    >
    > This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at

    21:30......same
    > time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
    > format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
    > Illegal?

    Crap...are you saying you watched it in 1920x1080 resolution with Ac3 audio?
    That is HDTV..not some scaled down hacked ripped version.
    Craig Sutton, Nov 26, 2005
  19. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> shannon wrote:
    >>

    >>> So you steal it

    >> I borrowed a digital VHS tape and played it in my digital VHS player from
    >> the guy 'next door".
    >>
    >> The situation highlights how silly the current law is......that one could
    >> "steal" something that is freely given away anyway, simply by accessing
    >> it via a different access method.

    > No, you downloaded it from others who are illegally distributing
    > copyright content.

    ....and the difference to sharing a videotape would be nil.

    > You can download movies, software etc that you do not have a right to
    > that way, just like the TV programme

    I don't download those things. They aren't given away freely in my living
    room each day.

    > You can probably buy a boxed set of DVDs with the programme on legally
    > and ethically on Amazon

    Not in NZ. You'd have to parallel import Region 1 DVDs from the US.

    That access things again.

    > Its not given away by being broadcast, its a broadcast transmission
    > which is licenced to the broadcaster, who funds its purchase from
    > advertising revenue.

    I'm not involved in that transaction - explicitly or otherwise.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005
  20. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:

    > Then the copy has been distributed without the copright mark attached.
    > Another copyright law infringement.

    Sort of like a partial videotape of the program, then. Less the credits.

    > Not doing too well here in the ethics department.
    > ;)

    Probably haven't been for 25 years or so....along with you and everyone
    else.

    Did you tape One News on Monday? There was a segment on there about a
    Ferrari......someone posted here asking for it.

    Though it would be illegal to share it if you did record it.

    To save you time, I'm not arguing the legality.

    My post was intended to highlight some of issues by example and to
    demonstrate the present law is silly.........and unenforceable.

    If I call the police and report I downloaded a show, watched it, and then
    deleted it, I'd be lucky if they didn't prosecute me for wasting their
    time.
    steve, Nov 26, 2005