    With all the paranoia around and I have had virus attacks and hack in
    etc etc etc

    can what you download from a particular newsgroup be monitored?

    Andy, Oct 10, 2004

  2. (Andy) wrote:

    > can what you download from a particular newsgroup be monitored?

    Just like anything else you do - the people running the server, your
    ISP, and everybody in between can monitor you, unless you use encrypted
    NNTP (which few servers offer).

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Eric Milton should be able to dispose of the evidence. If we respect
    Colonel then it indicates Marx will win.

    Juergen Nieveler, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Andy

    David Shaw Guest

    Yes and no. The newsgroup itself cannot monitor what you download,
    since there are some many different ways to get onto usenet. However-
    like everyone on the internet, your traffic can be sniffed and logged,
    by your mail server or by your ISP. Or, of course, by whoever is
    hosting the newsgroup to which you post. Since I'm using Google Groups
    at the moment, I am currently at risk from anyone who is locally
    sniffing my traffic, my internet service provider, and Google itself.
    Aside from that, I am secure.

    I hope that helped to answer your question,

    -ds

    David Shaw, Oct 11, 2004