    has to be a way to do it!

    --
    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Nov 14, 2007

  2. Alasdair

    Mike R Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:08:26 +0000, Alasdair <>
    wrote:

    >I am trying to download the following video clips from the BBC news
    >but I can't find a way to do it. Please, can any of the learned
    >members of this newsgroup help?
    >
    >http://switchboard.real.com/player/...o/132000/bb/132600_16x9_bb.ram?ad=1&amp;ct=50
    >
    >and the second which is the same but from another source
    >
    >http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/...tm&news=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&asb=1
    >
    >I imagine the BBC don't like people downloading their clips but there
    >has to be a way to do it!

    Which browser are you using?

    Mike R, Nov 14, 2007

  3. Alasdair

    lee h Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > I am trying to download the following video clips from the BBC news
    > but I can't find a way to do it. Please, can any of the learned
    > members of this newsgroup help?

    you don't say which browser or OS, so I'll assume windows.
    Try URLSnooper:

    http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/urlsnooper/index.html

    lee h, Nov 14, 2007
  4. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    Alasdair, Nov 14, 2007
  5. Alasdair

    lee h Guest

    lee h, Nov 14, 2007
  6. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:42:25 -0600, "lee h" <>
    wrote:

    >urlsnooper will work fine with xp. Since you seem to be in th3 UK,
    >here's something of possible interest to you:
    >
    >http://www.last100.com/2007/07/22/five-uk-internet-tv-offerings-compared/

    I had a look at your link but the problem is that you can only view
    the content for 30 days after downloading it. I want to keep the
    clips for ever more which I could do if I recorded it off air. I think
    this bit is both illogical and unfair.

    --
    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Nov 14, 2007
  7. Alasdair

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Alasdair
    <> wrote:

    > I had a look at your link but the problem is that you can only view
    > the content for 30 days after downloading it. I want to keep the
    > clips for ever more which I could do if I recorded it off air. I think
    > this bit is both illogical and unfair.

    It's _unfair_ that you aren't allowed to keep and store a video clip
    that someone else recorded and produced?

    Are you sure you know what _fair_ means?

    They don't have to have a reason to want to keep control over their
    video. I think they're already giving you a lot by making it in the
    first place.

    Mitch, Nov 15, 2007
  8. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:38:11 -1000, Mitch <> wrote:

    >It's _unfair_ that you aren't allowed to keep and store a video clip
    >that someone else recorded and produced?
    >
    >Are you sure you know what _fair_ means?
    >
    >They don't have to have a reason to want to keep control over their
    >video. I think they're already giving you a lot by making it in the
    >first place.

    The bit that's in my view unfair and illogical is that you can
    download BBC programmes free and keep the discs forever if you do it
    when the programme is being broadcast. If you do it later off the
    internet, you can only keep the programme for 30 days.

    The BBC is a public body funded by the British taxpayer through a
    licence fee. They are therefore being well paid for making the
    programmes by us, the British taxpayers.

    --
    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Nov 15, 2007
  9. Alasdair

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Alasdair
    <> wrote:

    > The bit that's in my view unfair and illogical is that you can
    > download BBC programmes free and keep the discs forever if you do it
    > when the programme is being broadcast. If you do it later off the
    > internet, you can only keep the programme for 30 days.
    >
    > The BBC is a public body funded by the British taxpayer through a
    > licence fee. They are therefore being well paid for making the
    > programmes by us, the British taxpayers.

    Oh, I see your perspective.
    Here's the difference: yes, they are providing it for you to see.
    And yes, there are ways for you to see it again, including taping and
    keeping the URL.

    But they retain control of how it is shown to others -- and they do
    that by restricting whether you can take the piece whole in digital
    form (because that is the most common way to share it which is out of
    their control).
    If they maintain the piece online, you are reduced to sharing it
    through their own servers, which gives them some legal control over
    where it is shown and how.

    Keep in mind, too, that by contacting the producers you might be
    allowed to take or keep or even display the piece -- as you say, if you
    are a citizen and it is produced for public use. Do not assume all your
    options are available only on the page where you saw it.

    Mitch, Nov 15, 2007
  10. Alasdair

    Tester Guest

    wrote:

    >I am trying to download the following video clips from the BBC news
    >but I can't find a way to do it. Please, can any of the learned
    >members of this newsgroup help?
    >
    >http://switchboard.real.com/player/...o/132000/bb/132600_16x9_bb.ram?ad=1&amp;ct=50
    >
    >and the second which is the same but from another source
    >
    >http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/...tm&news=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&asb=1
    >
    >I imagine the BBC don't like people downloading their clips but there
    >has to be a way to do it!

    The first link seems to be to a random advertisement - you get
    different ads if you hit it twice.

    You are trying to download a file which uses the Real server rtsp://
    (Real Time Streaming) protocol. This requires non-standard downloading
    software.

    You might try:

    1) Streambox VCR. This was sued out of existence by Realaudio so it
    only exists in cracked beta versions and it may not work with newer
    versions of Real and Windows Media server. You may be able to find it
    with a Google search.

    2) XiSoft Netxfer
    http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm

    3) Metaproducts Mass Downloader
    http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/Mass_Downloader.htm

    2) and 3) are shareware.

    1) is cracked/pirated shareware where the author can't collect
    royalties (they tried to reinvent the company after the lawsuit but it
    went under). It may require a trick where you have to copy some of the
    files which are part of Real player to the names they had in an old
    version of Real Player. (cook.dll => cook3260.dll, sipr.dll =>
    sipr3260.dll in "\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Codecs\")

    Since there are open source players and codecs for Real (so they won
    the skermish but lost the battle), and Real has even made some of its
    source code available, I wouldn't be suprised if there were an open
    source program which also worked.

    I also notice that real player seems to do quite a bit of buffering -
    if you hit pause and then later hit play it seems to take a long time
    for the network activity to restart - it should be possible to hook
    into RP's buffer.

    There are some programs like High Criteria Total Recorder which record
    off the audio card and these are used to capture audio streams but I
    don't know if there are any which also capture video.

    It should be fairly easy to get the rtsp:// url's for the streams in
    this case but there are some rtsp and mms (Windows Media Player)
    streams where they try to hide them in the browser page. There's a
    plugin for Firefox called unplug which can sometimes find these and
    there's a donation-ware (donationcoder.com) packet tracer designed
    primarily to get multimedia URL's - urlsnooper although any packet
    tracer - e.g. Microsoft Network Monitor should be usable.

    The idea is that no matter how they try to hide it your computer is
    ultimately asking a server for a resource so if you monitor what your
    computer is asking for you can find the URL.

    Tester, Nov 15, 2007