    Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    which doesn't have the internet for viewing?

    Thanks Michael
    Himszy, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Himszy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    > which doesn't have the internet for viewing?
    >
    > Thanks Michael

    Why would you want to do that?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Himszy

    Mack Guest

    A page or link can be send by going
    to File/Send/<option>

    Mack, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Himszy

    Himszy Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Himszy wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    > > which doesn't have the internet for viewing?
    > >
    > > Thanks Michael
    > >

    > Why would you want to do that?

    Because I program and websites have some useful code on them which I might
    need
    Himszy, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Himszy

    Bob C Guest

    > Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    > which doesn't have the internet for viewing?

    Teleport Pro
    Bob C, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Himszy

    Tricia Guest

    "Mack" <> wrote in message
    >A page or link can be send by going
    > to File/Send/<option>

    BUT the laptop cannot access the internet.

    You could try File/Save As and save the complete web page then copy all the
    files to the laptop. Or you could network the 2 together. There are various
    ways of doing what you want. More information is needed.
    Tricia, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Himszy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Himszy" <> wrote in message

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Himszy wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    >> > which doesn't have the internet for viewing?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks Michael
    >> >

    >> Why would you want to do that?
    >>

    > Because I program and websites have some useful code on them which I might
    > need

    And you think it's ethical and/or legal to use their code?
    Toolman Tim, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Himszy wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Himszy wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    >>>which doesn't have the internet for viewing?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks Michael
    >>>

    >>Why would you want to do that?
    >>

    > Because I program and websites have some useful code on them which I might
    > need

    Ah, I see.

    Kind of defeats the object of being a programmer, doesn't it?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 25, 2005
  9. Tricia wrote:

    > "Mack" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>A page or link can be send by going
    >>to File/Send/<option>

    > BUT the laptop cannot access the internet.

    But it might have a cable connection though.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 25, 2005
  10. Himszy

    John Holmes Guest

    Himszy asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    > which doesn't have the internet for viewing?

    Teleport Pro, go ogle for it.

    Who the **** is Michael?

    --
    - John Holmes -

    " I ain't no **** "

    \|/
    John Holmes, Mar 25, 2005
  11. Himszy

    Himszy Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Himszy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    laptop

    > >> Why would you want to do that?
    > >>

    > > Because I program and websites have some useful code on them which I

    might
    > > need
    > >

    > And you think it's ethical and/or legal to use their code?

    It is so long as they agree and most sites do
    Himszy, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Himszy

    Himszy Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Himszy wrote:
    >
    > > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    > >>Why would you want to do that?
    > >>

    > > Because I program and websites have some useful code on them which I

    might
    > > need
    > >

    > Ah, I see.
    >
    > Kind of defeats the object of being a programmer, doesn't it?

    No, you have to learn somewhere
    Himszy, Mar 26, 2005
  13. Himszy

    Himszy Guest

    "Bob C" <> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    > > which doesn't have the internet for viewing?
    > >

    > Teleport Pro

    Thanks
    Himszy, Mar 26, 2005
  14. Himszy

    Himszy Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Himszy asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Is it possible to download a whole website and then send it to a laptop
    > > which doesn't have the internet for viewing?

    > Teleport Pro, go ogle for it.
    >

    > > Thanks Michael
    > >

    > Who the **** is Michael?
    >
    > --
    > - John Holmes -
    >
    > " I ain't no **** "
    >
    > \|/

    I meant:

    Thanks

    Michael
    Himszy, Mar 26, 2005
  15. Himszy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Himszy" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Himszy" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    > laptop

    >> > Because I program and websites have some useful code on them which I

    > might
    >> > need
    >> >

    >> And you think it's ethical and/or legal to use their code?
    >>

    > It is so long as they agree and most sites do

    There are software applications that will do that. Try searching Google. Or,
    if what you really want is the code, click on View, Source, and save the
    HTML code to your hard drive. Of course, that works on only one page at a
    time.
    Toolman Tim, Mar 26, 2005
  16. Himszy

    Guest Guest

    > "Himszy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why would you want to do that?
    >>>

    >> Because I program and websites have some useful code on them which I
    >> might
    >> need
    >>

    > And you think it's ethical and/or legal to use their code?

    It depends on how much you copy. The API and HTML commands are not
    proprietary or copyrighted by anyone using them since everyone gets to
    use those commands to build their code. Sometimes you simply need to
    know how someone did something, like effectively disable the Back button
    in the toolbar so the user gets stuck on the same page (which we've all
    seen and there several methods to do it). So it provides a learning
    experience when trying to figure out how someone else did it. For
    example, looking at Javascript without bothering to learn it let me
    figure out how on-hover, on-click, and other mouse events got used to
    define actions in the script. It is when you usurp someone else's
    algorithm composed of several commands that you might infringe their
    copyright but only if you copy it rather than have learned from it and
    later wrote your own code without re-reviewing that old code.

    There are web crawlers that will let you download the HTML code on a
    page. After all, that is what gets delivered to you via your connection
    that your browser then figures out how to render. The idea is that the
    crawler finds all the links on a page and eventually navigates to each
    one of them while recording the HTML code on each page. That works for
    simplistic web sites but not when server-side programs are used to
    generate the code (because it can change on every visit to their page;
    i.e., it gets creates by the server-side program on-the-fly and that
    version of the code gets delivered to the recipient's browser). Many
    are now using Flash to present content because, like with server-side
    programs, the code used to generate the output is entirely hidden from
    the visitor. While you could still see the HTML code generated by a
    server-side program when it got delivered to your browser, you don't get
    to see any of the code used in composing the Flash content on a page.
    Of course, Flash requires an Active X control to be downloaded and
    installed on your host which means browsers that don't support Active X
    won't work to view those pages. Not all web sites relying on Flash to
    hide their web site's construction will provide a non-Flash version of
    their web page.

    If you need help with a particular function that you would like to
    implement on your web page, you'll probably find much better help by
    visiting the forums for HTML, web design, Javascript, and so, along with
    many online forums to ask for help rather than trying to steal it.
    Getting others code for the web pages really is only for when you are
    trying to learn how the stuff works in general, like you need to figure
    out cascading style sheets, XML and style sheets, and so forth. But
    then you don't need to keep a copy of their web page. Just go visit it
    again when you want to see how they did it. When I wanted to see how
    those sites turned my mouse cursor into an annoying waving banner
    trailing the mouse, I just went and looked at the code but I didn't need
    to save it, especially on the presumption that I might someday go look
    at it.

    If you don't have a web crawler, go Google for "web crawler" or "web
    spider" and you'll find plenty. You could also just visit the site and
    save the files that got downloaded into your browser's temp file cache
    (clear it out first before visiting the site). Visiting any site and
    yanking their pages for the deliberate purpose of stealing their code
    for reuse is illegal under copyright laws. It isn't if you are using it
    to learn. After all, is the publisher and author of those biology books
    you read at the university going to sue every doctor that read their
    books and based some of their knowledge upon the content of those books?
    Expect web crawlers and spiders to often fail when trying to steal web
    pages. Also expect many sites to have a robot.txt file (I think that is
    its name) that may refuse your robot from wandering their web site to
    steal every page. Most visitors don't hit every page. If your robot
    doesn't identify itself, you are using a hack tool which puts you in the
    category of an a-hole abuser; i.e., the robot should identify itself as
    such so if a site doesn't want your robot wandering through all its
    pages then you aren't violating their wishes. It is their content, not
    yours.

    I have used web crawlers in the past and everyone sucked (but then I
    only tried the free ones wherease the commercial products might do much
    better). They wouldn't download the entire site, many sites don't allow
    robots to steal pages, and they use server-side generated content, like
    Flash, to obfuscate or hide how the content gets created. If a site
    does something that you find interesting, just go look yourself and save
    the files saved in your browser's file cache or just right-click to view
    source and save it. You could use an caching HTTP proxy, like
    http://www.download.com/YACY/3000-2379_4-10364363.html?tag=lst-0-1 (only
    found in a search, don't know anything about it) to visit a site and
    then go look at the code for the cached pages.

    http://www.google.com/bot.html
    http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci211854,00.html

    Guest, Mar 26, 2005
  17. Himszy

    doS Guest

    Hell, I find it funny he writes, or steals code, and had to ask a question
    like that...

    doS, Mar 26, 2005