downloader.vb.5.au

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lsj7, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. lsj7

    lsj7 Guest

    Downloade avg7 free today and it found this trojan. Nothing on Google about
    Trojan downloader.VB.5.AU

    There are some links in Spanish and German about Downloader.VB.5

    I think the German site recommended to run HIjackthis.

    I (winxp) turned off System Restore. Finished running AVG 7 Free and once
    the trojan was in the quarantine vault I deleted it. AVG info on the trojan
    indicated it was located in a Hijackthis directory in a backup.
    Question: Is this part of HIjackthis program or no ? Was this a false
    positive?

    I still cannot find anything on the ".AU" at the end of the identification
    of the trojan. Possible P2P from Australia? uh, fishing here...........

    Any comments?

    P.s I have read much about problems with the AVG7 issue with email and so
    far no problems with my OE6. FYI

    --

    Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their
    attention. .If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you and

    _________Jefferson to Carrington 1787

    lsj7
    lsj7, Dec 26, 2004

  2. lsj7

    Boomer Guest

    Does this help? http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=AU
    Boomer, Dec 26, 2004

  3. lsj7

    Richard Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > "lsj7" <> wrote message

    >> Downloade avg7 free today and it found this trojan. Nothing
    >> on Google about Trojan downloader.VB.5.AU
    >>
    >> There are some links in Spanish and German about
    >> Downloader.VB.5
    >>
    >> I think the German site recommended to run HIjackthis.
    >>
    >> I (winxp) turned off System Restore. Finished running AVG 7
    >> Free and once the trojan was in the quarantine vault I deleted
    >> it. AVG info on the trojan indicated it was located in a
    >> Hijackthis directory in a backup. Question: Is this part of
    >> HIjackthis program or no ? Was this a false positive?
    >>
    >> I still cannot find anything on the ".AU" at the end of the
    >> identification of the trojan. Possible P2P from Australia?
    >> uh, fishing here...........
    >>
    >> Any comments?
    >>
    >> P.s I have read much about problems with the AVG7 issue with
    >> email and so far no problems with my OE6. FYI

    > Does this help? http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=AU

    Dude, file extensions don't mean a damn thing except only to those who wrote
    the item.
    I can literally use any file extension I want for any given item.
    filename.jpg is an image right?
    To me, it could be pure text.
    normally, a certain extension is associated with a certain program to "open
    with", but that is not always true.
    If I choose a file in my folder, and click it on it, the registered
    associate program opens it.
    I can over ride that by using "open with" and choosing which program I want.

    Autodialers often use extensions which are not commonly associated so that
    no other program will open them.
    Richard, Dec 26, 2004
  4. lsj7

    Richard Guest

    lsj7 wrote:

    > Downloade avg7 free today and it found this trojan. Nothing on Google
    > about Trojan downloader.VB.5.AU

    > There are some links in Spanish and German about Downloader.VB.5

    > I think the German site recommended to run HIjackthis.

    > I (winxp) turned off System Restore. Finished running AVG 7 Free and once
    > the trojan was in the quarantine vault I deleted it. AVG info on the
    > trojan indicated it was located in a Hijackthis directory in a backup.
    > Question: Is this part of HIjackthis program or no ? Was this a false
    > positive?

    It may be that the trojan implanted itself in this directory hoping you
    wouldn't notice it so easily.
    Richard, Dec 26, 2004
  5. lsj7

    Scraggy Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >>> Any comments?
    >>>
    >>> P.s I have read much about problems with the AVG7 issue with
    >>> email and so far no problems with my OE6. FYI

    >> Does this help? http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=AU

    > Dude, file extensions don't mean a damn thing except only to those
    > who wrote the item.
    > I can literally use any file extension I want for any given item.
    > filename.jpg is an image right?
    > To me, it could be pure text.
    > normally, a certain extension is associated with a certain program to
    > "open with", but that is not always true.
    > If I choose a file in my folder, and click it on it, the registered
    > associate program opens it.
    > I can over ride that by using "open with" and choosing which program
    > I want.
    >
    > Autodialers often use extensions which are not commonly associated so
    > that no other program will open them.

    1. That would be dude(ette)
    2. Which part of '?' is giving you the most trouble?
    3.Are you Bullis?
    Scraggy, Dec 26, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    "lsj7" <> wrote in message

    > I (winxp) turned off System Restore. Finished running AVG 7 Free and once
    > the trojan was in the quarantine vault I deleted it. AVG info on the

    trojan
    > indicated it was located in a Hijackthis directory in a backup.
    > Question: Is this part of HIjackthis program or no ? Was this a false
    > positive?

    It's not - it was removed by HijackThis earlier.

    Hence the fact that it was in a backup ...

    Mmm ... I suggest next time before you panic, you think carefully
    about where something was found. If in a quarantine or backup directory for
    a clean up utility, it's normally perfectly safe there.

    RwP
    Ralph W. Phillips, Dec 26, 2004
  7. lsj7

    lsj7 Guest

    Ralph W. Phillips wrote:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "lsj7" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I (winxp) turned off System Restore. Finished running AVG 7 Free
    >> and once the trojan was in the quarantine vault I deleted it. AVG
    >> info on the trojan indicated it was located in a Hijackthis
    >> directory in a backup.
    >> Question: Is this part of HIjackthis program or no ? Was this a
    >> false positive?

    > It's not - it was removed by HijackThis earlier.

    Been a couple weeks since I ran HJT. I do not recall putting a check mark in
    the box to remove any such trojan then or any time. I run A2, Ewido
    Security, Housecall, Bazooka, SPybot S&D, Winpatrol, SPywareinfo scanner,
    McAfee Stinger, AVG7.
    I ran scheduled task run of AVG6 that morning and it found nothing. During
    the day I uninstalled AVG6-saved it in a folder in case AVG7 was too
    buggy-and downloaded AVG7 Free from Majorgeeks dot com. On first running
    the trojan was found. If it had been hiding in the directory for awhile
    nothing found it til the first test of AVG7. Or the trojan was downloaded
    after the scheduled test at 101am of AVG6, and I don't think that happened.

    > Hence the fact that it was in a backup ...

    It should have been discovered by other means, don't you think?

    > Mmm ... I suggest next time before you panic, you think
    > carefully about where something was found.

    No panic here, sir.

    > If in a quarantine or
    > backup directory for a clean up utility, it's normally perfectly safe
    > there.
    >
    > RwP

    Thanx.

    lsj7, Dec 27, 2004
  8. lsj7

    lsj7 Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > lsj7 wrote:
    >
    >> Downloade avg7 free today and it found this trojan. Nothing on
    >> Google about Trojan downloader.VB.5.AU

    >> There are some links in Spanish and German about Downloader.VB.5

    >> I think the German site recommended to run HIjackthis.

    >> I (winxp) turned off System Restore. Finished running AVG 7 Free
    >> and once the trojan was in the quarantine vault I deleted it. AVG
    >> info on the trojan indicated it was located in a Hijackthis
    >> directory in a backup. Question: Is this part of HIjackthis program
    >> or no ? Was this a false positive?

    > It may be that the trojan implanted itself in this directory hoping
    > you wouldn't notice it so easily.

    Possible. Lot of traffic on this computer with my teens home for the
    holidays.

    lsj7, Dec 27, 2004
  9. lsj7

    dazzy Guest

    dazzy, Jan 20, 2005
  10. lsj7

    bennie Guest

    bennie, Feb 14, 2005
  11. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 04:36:30 -0500, bennie
    <> wrote:

    >Is there anyone who has more information about this threat and how to
    >remove it?

    www.doxdesk.com/parasite

    Swill

    --
    We at the Technical Support desk are on your side.
    We don't support the intenet backbone.

    Governor Swill
    www.userfriendly.org
    Governor Swill, Feb 14, 2005