    seconds. I went to nvidia website and d/l the latest driver but it still
    doesn't work. Any help appreciated.
    Thx.

    Coolie, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Coolie

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you tried updating DirectX?

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:11:25 GMT, in
    <Xns9439C3546FACurasshotmailcom@66.185.95.104>
    Coolie scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Coolie

    PaKu Guest

    "Coolie" <> wrote in message
    > Ok i'am a fool. I d/l a nvidia display driver update from microsoft

    website
    > (idiot) and now when I go to play a game of mine..it freezes after a few
    > seconds. I went to nvidia website and d/l the latest driver but it still
    > doesn't work. Any help appreciated.
    > Thx.

    The short way:
    if you have windows XP try the restore option to a point in time before you
    installed the bad driver.

    The long way:
    reboot in safe mode; you'll get the 640x480 60 Mhz screen.
    Delete the driver through system - hardware - display adapters; delete all
    drivers you see there
    Reboot in normal mode , you should get the default 640x480 60 Mhz screen
    again.
    Install the good nvidia driver.
    Reboot
    That should do it (hopefully).
    After all that It also might help to re- install the game copletely.
    PaKu

    PaKu, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Great Answer PaKu!

    --
    _________________
    Morris C. Attaway, Jr.,
    Lead Designer
    Nerd 411
    Affordable.. Beautiful...Functional.
    Small Business Website Design.
    ____________________________
    Website: http://www.nerd411.com
    Phone: 866-4MY-NERD
    Fax: 435-417-0106
    ____________________________
    What is a Website?
    1) A Sales Tool Used To Increase Profit.
    2) A Marketing Tool Used To Gain Customers.
    Call TODAY for a free website review!
    ____________________________

    Morris Attaway, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Coolie

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Coolie

    Jerry Guest

    You can do a driver roll back with windows xp. Go to your device manager and
    double click on your video card and select the Driver tab. Click Roll Back
    Driver. Probably be the easiest way before you start using system restore.
    If all fails, uninstall the device and reinstall using the latset driver
    from the manufacturers site. Also updating to DirectX 9 isn't a bad idea as
    suggested above.

    Butcherboys

    Jerry, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Coolie

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:11:25 GMT, Coolie <> wrote:

    >Ok i'am a fool. I d/l a nvidia display driver update from microsoft website
    >(idiot) and now when I go to play a game of mine..it freezes after a few
    >seconds. I went to nvidia website and d/l the latest driver but it still
    >doesn't work. Any help appreciated.

    Reinstall everything.

    >Thx.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Coolie

    Scrote Guest

    Tony ,who knows nothing wrote

    With most new drivers Nvidia advise uninstall of old driver prior to
    installation of new one. Its also easier to go direct to their website
    than wait for it to percolate down from MS. This approach solved minor
    probs on two of my machines. Hope this helps

    Semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat.....mostly

    Scrote, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Coolie

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Paku',

    Why Safe Mode when you can use the 'Remove' facility in System
    Properties in Normal Mode? Just learning and your explanation as to why
    will be much appreciated.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Coolie

    PaKu Guest

    " Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    > 'Paku',
    >
    > Why Safe Mode when you can use the 'Remove' facility in System
    > Properties in Normal Mode? Just learning and your explanation as to why
    > will be much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Emrys Davies

    Just a precaution: safe mode loads as few drivers as possible; you don't
    know what a bad install has done to the system - it's possible that things
    have been overwritten with, in normal mode, active drivers.
    I often experienced that replacing/installing in normal mode leaves several
    configurations intact (which is a *good* thing with *good* replacements).
    De-installng in safe mode, and then seeing the default driver, after reboot,
    proves that the bad driver is completely gone.
    Consider this analogy: if you do a spring-cleaning, putting most of the
    funiture outside the room gives you a better chance to clean out
    thouroughly...
    PaKu

    ps. I replaced your reply as is usual on usenet and slyly corrected a typo
    of mine.

    PaKu, Nov 22, 2003
  11. Coolie

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Paku',

    Thanks a lot for that. Another string to my bow.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Nov 22, 2003