Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jan 22, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi folks,

    I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at a
    stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I usually
    use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't accept the number
    from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

    I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'. I'm not
    trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to it. Does anyone
    know if it's possible to download an ISO of the required install disk? I'd
    really like to get this done this afternoon.

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Jan 22, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at
    > a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I
    > usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't
    > accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
    >
    > I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
    > I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
    > it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
    > required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
    > afternoon.
    > Thanks,

    Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier troll-feeding
    Nathan?

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ihgobq$i1m$-september.org>,
    , ~misfit~ says...

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at
    > > a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I
    > > usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't
    > > accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
    > >
    > > I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
    > > I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
    > > it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
    > > required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
    > > afternoon.
    > > Thanks,

    > Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier troll-feeding
    > Nathan?

    a. do you have an MSDN subscription?
    b. are you installing from an OEM install disk?

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 23, 2011
  4. On Jan 23, 9:20 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks,

    > > I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at
    > > a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I
    > > usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't
    > > accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

    > > I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
    > > I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
    > > it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
    > > required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
    > > afternoon.
    > > Thanks,

    > Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier troll-feeding
    > Nathan?

    No, I don't know of anywhere you can download Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    retail CD off the Internet

    You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if
    they have a way of helping

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 23, 2011
  5. ~misfit~

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:01 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if they
    > have a way of helping

    Has ANYONE (i.e. a normal home user - not counting corporate contracts)
    ever successfully received technical support from Microsoft itself?

    Sweetpea, Jan 23, 2011
  6. ~misfit~

    Me Guest

    On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at a
    > stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I usually
    > use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't accept the number
    > from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
    >
    > I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'. I'm not
    > trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to it. Does anyone
    > know if it's possible to download an ISO of the required install disk? I'd
    > really like to get this done this afternoon.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
    install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change the
    serial # to the one on the COA? Then activate online, and if it won't
    activate, call MS.

    Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:

    Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:

    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

    Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
    activate Windows" and then click "Next."

    Click "Change Product Key."

    You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your Windows XP.

    Press "Update" and close the window.

    Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
    updated with the new serial number.

    Me, Jan 23, 2011
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <ihgobq$i1m$-september.org>,
    > , ~misfit~ says...
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Hi folks,
    >>>
    >>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
    >>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
    >>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
    >>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
    >>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
    >>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
    >>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
    >>> afternoon.
    >>> Thanks,

    >> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
    >> troll-feeding Nathan?

    > a. do you have an MSDN subscription?

    No. Is that a prerequisite for installing Windows?

    > b. are you installing from an OEM install disk?

    Yes, although it's a sp2-level OEM disk that doesn't like to accept numbers
    from earlier COAs.

    I mistakenly said in the subject that I needed 'retail' media. I actually
    need system-builder OEM media (?) from around 2002. As mentioned, I have the
    COA...

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2011
  8. ~misfit~

    Mgr. Scooter Guest

    On , , Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:57:19 +0000 (UTC), Re: Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro,
    sp1 retail install disk?, Sweetpea <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:01 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if they
    >> have a way of helping

    >Has ANYONE (i.e. a normal home user - not counting corporate contracts)
    >ever successfully received technical support from Microsoft itself?

    Oh yes, many times.
    The last time was on Saturday.

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Mgr. Scooter, Jan 24, 2011
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 9:20 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks,

    >>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
    >>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
    >>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
    >>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

    >>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
    >>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
    >>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
    >>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
    >>> afternoon.
    >>> Thanks,

    >> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
    >> troll-feeding Nathan?

    > No, I don't know of anywhere you can download Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    > retail CD off the Internet

    Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that MS representatives try to help
    their customers as well as argue with their detractors.

    Oh BTW, my bad. It's not the retail disk I need. I believe that it's a
    pre-sp2 OEM disk? The COA sticker is the pale blue type that was used before
    about 2004. The laptop has the date 11/03 on the bottom and works as if it
    was new (it's a ThinkPad running a Pentium M).

    > You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if
    > they have a way of helping

    Thank you, I have made a note of that number. I had time over the weekend
    and bandwidth to spare, I was hoping that I could get it done more quickly.
    The machine still has the COA it was sold with, it's just that it's HDD
    failed.

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2011
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
    > On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
    >> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
    >> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
    >> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
    >>
    >> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
    >> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
    >> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
    >> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
    >> afternoon. Thanks,

    > Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
    > install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change the
    > serial # to the one on the COA? Then activate online, and if it won't
    > activate, call MS.
    >

    > Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:
    >
    > Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:
    >
    > %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    >
    > Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
    > activate Windows" and then click "Next."
    >
    > Click "Change Product Key."
    >
    > You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your
    > Windows XP.
    > Press "Update" and close the window.
    >
    > Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
    > updated with the new serial number.

    Thanks for the instructions. I've saved them. :)

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2011
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tony wrote:
    > Me <> wrote:
    >> On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Hi folks,
    >>>
    >>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
    >>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
    >>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
    >>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this
    >>> 'gotcha'. I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal
    >>> right to it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO
    >>> of the required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
    >>> afternoon.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
    >> install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change
    >> the serial # to the one on the COA? Then activate online, and if it
    >> won't activate, call MS.
    >>

    >> Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:
    >>
    >> Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:
    >>
    >> %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    >>
    >> Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
    >> activate Windows" and then click "Next."
    >>
    >> Click "Change Product Key."
    >>
    >> You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your
    >> Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Press "Update" and close the window.
    >>
    >> Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
    >> updated with the new serial number.

    > Yes call Microsoft and if they cannot assist the OP could consider a
    > technet subscription, he can download XP with SP3 and get two keys.
    > $199 in NZ, he will also get access to other software with legitimate
    > keys.

    Thanks for that Tony. Alas, the laptop's only worth a little more than $199
    and already has a COA for XP Pro (but the HDD failed). I'm just trying to
    get it to saleable condition with a legal XP install so I can pay the bills
    for the month. Visa have already forked out ~$90 for a HDD for it. :-/

    That said, you're not the first person to suggest that I get a Technet
    subscription. Maybe if I can get the bills sorted and somehow come up with
    the extra dosh....

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2011
  12. ~misfit~

    SteveM Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> On Jan 23, 9:20 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
    >>> troll-feeding Nathan?

    >> No, I don't know of anywhere you can download Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    >> retail CD off the Internet

    > Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that MS representatives try
    > to help their customers as well as argue with their detractors.
    >
    > Oh BTW, my bad. It's not the retail disk I need. I believe that it's a
    > pre-sp2 OEM disk? The COA sticker is the pale blue type that was used
    > before about 2004. The laptop has the date 11/03 on the bottom and
    > works as if it was new (it's a ThinkPad running a Pentium M).

    Can you not source a IBM XP Pro OEM CD?
    I have one for almost all the major hardware manufacturers for suituations
    like this.

    If you don't have one you can make one from a standard OEM or Retail CD
    (any SP level)

    Just requires sourcing and injecting 4 files into an iso image of the CD
    and using the correct Manufacturers OEM SLP key when installing.

    Here is some instructions:

    http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7580-How-To-Create-PRO-OEM-SLP-CD

    >> You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if
    >> they have a way of helping

    > Thank you, I have made a note of that number. I had time over the
    > weekend and bandwidth to spare, I was hoping that I could get it done
    > more quickly. The machine still has the COA it was sold with, it's
    > just that it's HDD failed.

    Bigted

    SteveM, Jan 24, 2011
  13. On Jan 24, 8:57 am, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:01 -0800, Nathan  Mercer wrote:
    > > You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if they
    > > have a way of helping

    > Has ANYONE (i.e. a normal home user - not counting corporate contracts)
    > ever successfully received technical support from Microsoft itself?

    Yes, lots and lots and lots, every day. Installation and Security
    update support is even free.

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2011
  14. On Jan 24, 11:03 am, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
    > Me <> wrote:
    > >On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >> Hi folks,

    > >> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at a
    > >> stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I usually
    > >> use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't accept the number
    > >> from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

    > >> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'. I'm not
    > >> trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to it. Does anyone
    > >> know if it's possible to download an ISO of the required install disk? I'd
    > >> really like to get this done this afternoon.

    > >> Thanks,

    > >Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
    > >install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change the
    > >serial # to the one on the COA?  Then activate online, and if it won't
    > >activate, call MS.

    > >Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:

    > >Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:

    > >%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

    > >Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
    > >activate Windows" and then click "Next."

    > >Click "Change Product Key."

    > >You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your Windows XP.

    > >Press "Update" and close the window.

    > >Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
    > >updated with the new serial number.

    > Yes call Microsoft and if they cannot assist the OP could consider a technet
    > subscription, he can download XP with SP3 and get two keys. $199 in NZ, he will
    > also get access to other software with legitimate keys.

    FWIW TechNet subscriptions in NZ cost $388 for TechNet Standard

    That license is for one person only, so you're not licensed to install/
    activate software using your keys on others PCs

    Also be aware that TechNet subscriptions contain full-versions of
    Microsoft software without any time or feature limits and they are for
    evaluation purposes only - not for use in production environments

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2011
  15. On Jan 24, 1:14 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >

    > > In article <ihgobq$-september.org>,
    > > , ~misfit~ says...

    > >> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
    > >> troll-feeding Nathan?

    > > a. do you have an MSDN subscription?

    > No. Is that a prerequisite for installing Windows?
    >
    > > b. are you installing from an OEM install disk?

    > Yes, although it's a sp2-level OEM disk that doesn't like to accept numbers
    > from earlier COAs.
    >
    > I mistakenly said in the subject that I needed 'retail' media. I actually
    > need system-builder OEM media (?) from around 2002. As mentioned, I have the
    > COA...

    Since its OEM, I'd start by calling the OEMs support number and see
    that they can do around the XP Disc

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2011
  16. On Jan 24, 1:32 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tony wrote:
    >

    > > Me <> wrote:

    > >> Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
    > >> install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change
    > >> the serial # to the one on the COA?  Then activate online, and if it
    > >> won't activate, call MS.

    > >> Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:

    > >> Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:

    > >> %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

    > >> Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
    > >> activate Windows" and then click "Next."

    > >> Click "Change Product Key."

    > >> You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your
    > >> Windows XP.

    > >> Press "Update" and close the window.

    > >> Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
    > >> updated with the new serial number.

    > > Yes call Microsoft and if they cannot assist the OP could consider a
    > > technet subscription, he can download XP with SP3 and get two keys.
    > > $199 in NZ, he will also get access to other software with legitimate
    > > keys.

    > Thanks for that Tony. Alas, the laptop's only worth a little more than $199
    > and already has a COA for XP Pro (but the HDD failed). I'm just trying to
    > get it to saleable condition with a legal XP install so I can pay the bills
    > for the month. Visa have already forked out ~$90 for a HDD for it. :-/
    >
    > That said, you're not the first person to suggest that I get a Technet
    > subscription. Maybe if I can get the bills sorted and somehow come up with
    > the extra dosh....

    Unfortunately you're not licensed to download software from a TechNet
    subscription and resell it

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2011
  17. On Jan 24, 4:41 pm, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    > >> Yes call Microsoft and if they cannot assist the OP could consider a technet
    > >> subscription, he can download XP with SP3 and get two keys. $199 in NZ, he
    > >>will
    > >> also get access to other software with legitimate keys.

    > >FWIW TechNet subscriptions in NZ cost $388 for TechNet Standard

    > >That license is for one person only, so you're not licensed to install/
    > >activate software using your keys on others PCs

    > >Also be aware that TechNet subscriptions contain full-versions of
    > >Microsoft software without any time or feature limits and they are for
    > >evaluation purposes only - not for use in production environments

    > My mistake, I saw the US$ price. I thought maybe the cost had gone down since I
    > subscribed - Oops.
    >
    > I only use my subscription for evaluation purposes and when I am ready for
    > production I, or my customers, buy a retail version.
    > For the right people technet is one of Microsoft's excellent services. Hell,
    > you can install and evaluate or use for compatibilty and performance testing
    > dozens of software products for less than the cost of one high end OS!
    > For the record I have never had anything but the best of service from Microsoft
    > when I needed it.

    Great to hear Tony :)

    Yes I think TechNet subscription is a great service too, makes it
    pretty easy to try stuff out at home before you go an implement it in
    the real world

    We often have discounts on TechNet available, the last one was 25% off
    but expired end of December, I will remember to post on here next time
    there is another discount coupon

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2011
  18. ~misfit~

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:44:25 -0800 (PST), Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >On Jan 24, 4:41 pm, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
    >> Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >> >FWIW TechNet subscriptions in NZ cost $388 for TechNet Standard

    >> >That license is for one person only, so you're not licensed to install/
    >> >activate software using your keys on others PCs

    >> >Also be aware that TechNet subscriptions contain full-versions of
    >> >Microsoft software without any time or feature limits and they are for
    >> >evaluation purposes only - not for use in production environments

    >> My mistake, I saw the US$ price. I thought maybe the cost had gone down since I
    >> subscribed - Oops.
    >>
    >> I only use my subscription for evaluation purposes and when I am ready for
    >> production I, or my customers, buy a retail version.
    >> For the right people technet is one of Microsoft's excellent services. Hell,
    >> you can install and evaluate or use for compatibilty and performance testing
    >> dozens of software products for less than the cost of one high end OS!
    >> For the record I have never had anything but the best of service from Microsoft
    >> when I needed it.

    >Great to hear Tony :)
    >
    >Yes I think TechNet subscription is a great service too, makes it
    >pretty easy to try stuff out at home before you go an implement it in
    >the real world
    >
    >We often have discounts on TechNet available, the last one was 25% off
    >but expired end of December, I will remember to post on here next time
    >there is another discount coupon

    Hmmm, sounds kind of interesting.
    I gather it couldn't be used in this type of scenario - client rings asking
    "how do I do x in Word 2010?" I fire up 'Evaluation Word 2010' and say "do x,
    and so on"...

    Yay or Nay?

    Cima, Jan 24, 2011
  19. ~misfit~

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:19:41 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Yes, lots and lots and lots, every day. Installation and Security
    > update support is even free.

    Not free - that was PAID FOR when a computer with MS Windows was
    purchased. Frankly, it SHOULD be supplied FREE when anyone purchases MS
    Windows because it's so full of security flaws and has such poor hardware
    support!

    MS's "technical support" is pathetic - time-limited and restricted to a
    few telephone calls, and nothing else. Given how expensive MS's software
    is one should expect virtually unlimited support!

    Sweetpea, Jan 24, 2011
  20. ~misfit~

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:26:47 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > FWIW TechNet subscriptions in NZ cost $388 for TechNet Standard

    FOTFLOL!

    How many of the general public would be capable of using that, let alone
    affording that when they've already paid as much as that if not more to
    merely get the right to us MS Software one one computer only.

    It's just an extortionate rort to extract more and more revenue out of
    software that was first released 20 years ago!

    Sweetpea, Jan 24, 2011