download

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Skip, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. Skip

    Skip Guest

    I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    first? if so will my setting be saved?
    also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for a
    better result?
    thanks for info
     
    Skip, Aug 15, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Skip

    slacK_ Guest

    Skip wrote:
    > I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    > first? if so will my setting be saved?
    > also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for a
    > better result?
    > thanks for info

    Yes it is recomended that when you install Mozilla 1.7 that you
    uninstall any previous versions that are installed. Uninstalling them
    will NOT change your preferences that I know of.
     
    slacK_, Aug 15, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Skip

    Arne Guest

    Skip wrote:

    > I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    > first? if so will my setting be saved?
    > also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for a
    > better result?
    > thanks for info


    You can backup mail, favorites, contacts, etc. with MozBackup
    from http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

    --
    Arne
     
    Arne, Aug 15, 2004
    #3
  4. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    Skip wrote:

    > I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    > first? if so will my setting be saved?
    > also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for a
    > better result?
    > thanks for info

    First of all download Moz 1.7.2. Security holes have been fixed with
    this version.

    If you install using the installer version, then you don't have to worry
    about uninstalling 1.6. It will do that for you. If you're using the
    ZIP version, then yes, uninstall 1.6 first.

    Yes, all your settings will be saved. They are stored in your profile
    and that profile does not get touched.

    What do you mean "edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine?" What are you
    trying to tweak.

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 15, 2004
    #4
  5. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    slacK_ wrote:
    > Skip wrote:
    >
    >> I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    >> first? if so will my setting be saved?
    >> also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for a
    >> better result?
    >> thanks for info

    >
    > Yes it is recomended that when you install Mozilla 1.7 that you
    > uninstall any previous versions that are installed. Uninstalling them
    > will NOT change your preferences that I know of.

    Any extensions that you added to the Program Directory will be erased.
    You will have to reinstall those.

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 15, 2004
    #5
  6. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > Skip wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    >>first? if so will my setting be saved?
    >>also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for a
    >>better result?
    >>thanks for info

    >
    >
    > You can backup mail, favorites, contacts, etc. with MozBackup
    > from http://backup.jasnapaka.com/
    >

    For me I prefer to use my Zip program. This way I can add other things,
    such as other bookmarks, other files, the registry.dat file, and other
    things. The Mozbackup does not do this.

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 15, 2004
    #6
  7. Skip

    slacK_ Guest

    Andreas wrote:
    > slacK_ wrote:
    >
    >> Skip wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    >>> first? if so will my setting be saved?
    >>> also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for
    >>> a better result?
    >>> thanks for info

    >>
    >>
    >> Yes it is recomended that when you install Mozilla 1.7 that you
    >> uninstall any previous versions that are installed. Uninstalling them
    >> will NOT change your preferences that I know of.

    >
    > Any extensions that you added to the Program Directory will be erased.
    > You will have to reinstall those.
    >
    > Andreas

    Thank you. I forgot about extensions being removed.
     
    slacK_, Aug 15, 2004
    #7
  8. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    slacK_ wrote:

    > Andreas wrote:
    >
    >> slacK_ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Skip wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete
    >>>> 1.6 first? if so will my setting be saved?
    >>>> also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for
    >>>> a better result?
    >>>> thanks for info
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Yes it is recomended that when you install Mozilla 1.7 that you
    >>> uninstall any previous versions that are installed. Uninstalling
    >>> them will NOT change your preferences that I know of.

    >>
    >>
    >> Any extensions that you added to the Program Directory will be erased.
    >> You will have to reinstall those.
    >>
    >> Andreas

    >
    > Thank you. I forgot about extensions being removed.

    Only if they were installed in the Program Directory. If they were
    installed in the Profile, then you don't have anything to worry about.

    And one other thing that gets destroyed is your specialized splash
    screen. That's in the Program Directory too. But there is a way to get
    around that. Change the properties settings on it and make it read only.

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 15, 2004
    #8
  9. *** Andreas escribió/wrote (Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:22:12 -0700):
    >> Thank you. I forgot about extensions being removed.

    > Only if they were installed in the Program Directory. If they were
    > installed in the Profile, then you don't have anything to worry about.


    Mozilla doesn't remove extensions without your permission: you're prompted
    about it.

    --
    --
    -+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain - ICQ 46788716
    +- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor para mayores de 100 años)
    ++ «Sonríe, que te vamos a hacer una foto para la esquela»
    --
     
    Alvaro G. Vicario, Aug 15, 2004
    #9
  10. On 8/15/2004 10:59 AM, Andreas wrote:

    > Skip wrote:
    >
    >> I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    >> first? if so will my setting be saved?
    >> also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for a
    >> better result?
    >> thanks for info

    >
    > First of all download Moz 1.7.2. Security holes have been fixed with
    > this version.
    >
    > If you install using the installer version, then you don't have to worry
    > about uninstalling 1.6. It will do that for you. If you're using the
    > ZIP version, then yes, uninstall 1.6 first.
    >
    > Yes, all your settings will be saved. They are stored in your profile
    > and that profile does not get touched.
    >
    > What do you mean "edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine?" What are you
    > trying to tweak.
    >
    > Andreas

    I have a plug in called moztweak additional settings one of them is
    called gecko engine. it is for advanced users
    and will have a dramatic effect on content displaying speed....
     
    Lerory knevil, Aug 15, 2004
    #10
  11. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    Alvaro G. Vicario wrote:

    > *** Andreas escribió/wrote (Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:22:12 -0700):
    >
    >>>Thank you. I forgot about extensions being removed.

    >>
    >>Only if they were installed in the Program Directory. If they were
    >>installed in the Profile, then you don't have anything to worry about.

    >
    >
    > Mozilla doesn't remove extensions without your permission: you're prompted
    > about it.
    >


    You're asked it you want to remove your old program settings. I believe
    you're given 3 choices, Continue (or is it OK), No, or Cancel. If you
    click No, then you might have some compatibility problems with the New
    version and the Old version. If you click Continue, then everything in
    your program directory is removed, INCLUDING YOUR EXTENSIONS at were
    installed to the program directory, not the extension in the profile
    directory.

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 15, 2004
    #11
  12. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    Lerory knevil wrote:

    >
    >
    > On 8/15/2004 10:59 AM, Andreas wrote:
    >
    >> Skip wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete 1.6
    >>> first? if so will my setting be saved?
    >>> also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for
    >>> a better result?
    >>> thanks for info

    >>
    >>
    >> First of all download Moz 1.7.2. Security holes have been fixed with
    >> this version.
    >>
    >> If you install using the installer version, then you don't have to
    >> worry about uninstalling 1.6. It will do that for you. If you're
    >> using the ZIP version, then yes, uninstall 1.6 first.
    >>
    >> Yes, all your settings will be saved. They are stored in your profile
    >> and that profile does not get touched.
    >>
    >> What do you mean "edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine?" What are you
    >> trying to tweak.
    >>
    >> Andreas

    >
    > I have a plug in called moztweak additional settings one of them is
    > called gecko engine. it is for advanced users
    > and will have a dramatic effect on content displaying speed....
    >

    Yes, I remember that one. Unfortunately, when I upgraded to 1.7, the
    tweak didn't work, so I dumped it. All those settings in the Moztweak
    are available the prefs.js file, which is in your profile. You can also
    access those same settings by entering about:config in the addressbar.

    Just which settings are you trying to change?

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 15, 2004
    #12
  13. *** Andreas escribió/wrote (Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:47:27 -0700):
    >> Mozilla doesn't remove extensions without your permission: you're prompted
    >> about it.
    >>

    >
    > You're asked it you want to remove your old program settings. I believe
    > you're given 3 choices, Continue (or is it OK), No, or Cancel.


    I don't remember the exact words, but there's a button labeled "Skip".


    --
    --
    -+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain - ICQ 46788716
    +- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor para mayores de 100 años)
    ++ «Sonríe, que te vamos a hacer una foto para la esquela»
    --
     
    Alvaro G. Vicario, Aug 16, 2004
    #13
  14. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    Alvaro G. Vicario wrote:

    > *** Andreas escribió/wrote (Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:47:27 -0700):
    >
    >>>Mozilla doesn't remove extensions without your permission: you're prompted
    >>>about it.
    >>>

    >>
    >>You're asked it you want to remove your old program settings. I believe
    >>you're given 3 choices, Continue (or is it OK), No, or Cancel.

    >
    >
    > I don't remember the exact words, but there's a button labeled "Skip".
    >
    >

    You're right. When I said No, it should have been Skip. But, you may
    be asking for trouble, if you install a newer version of Moz ontop of an
    older version. I've already explained this, so no need to repeat.

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 16, 2004
    #14
  15. On 8/15/2004 5:51 PM, Andreas wrote:

    > Lerory knevil wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> On 8/15/2004 10:59 AM, Andreas wrote:
    >>
    >>> Skip wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I want to download mozilla 1.7 am using 1.6 do you have to delete
    >>>> 1.6 first? if so will my setting be saved?
    >>>> also In edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine has anyone tweaked this for
    >>>> a better result?
    >>>> thanks for info
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> First of all download Moz 1.7.2. Security holes have been fixed with
    >>> this version.
    >>>
    >>> If you install using the installer version, then you don't have to
    >>> worry about uninstalling 1.6. It will do that for you. If you're
    >>> using the ZIP version, then yes, uninstall 1.6 first.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, all your settings will be saved. They are stored in your
    >>> profile and that profile does not get touched.
    >>>
    >>> What do you mean "edit-pref-moztweaks-gecko engine?" What are you
    >>> trying to tweak.
    >>>
    >>> Andreas

    >>
    >>
    >> I have a plug in called moztweak additional settings one of them is
    >> called gecko engine. it is for advanced users
    >> and will have a dramatic effect on content displaying speed....
    >>

    > Yes, I remember that one. Unfortunately, when I upgraded to 1.7, the
    > tweak didn't work, so I dumped it. All those settings in the Moztweak
    > are available the prefs.js file, which is in your profile. You can also
    > access those same settings by entering about:config in the addressbar.
    >
    > Just which settings are you trying to change?
    >
    > Andreas


    I was just curious if anyone has changed settings in the gecko engine
    and what was the results.
     
    Lerory knevil, Aug 16, 2004
    #15
  16. *** Andreas escribió/wrote (Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:47:27 -0700):
    >> Mozilla doesn't remove extensions without your permission: you're prompted
    >> about it.
    >>

    >
    > You're asked it you want to remove your old program settings. I believe
    > you're given 3 choices, Continue (or is it OK), No, or Cancel.


    I had a problem with an extension and had to reinstall, so I was able to
    write down the exact words:

    "Unrecognized 3rd party extensions will be removed from this directory to
    prevent version incompatibilities and will have to be reinstalled. Your
    Mozilla profile information will not be affected"

    [Continue] [Skip] [< Back]


    This is the Windows installer, by the way. Others might differ.

    Screenshot:
    http://usuarios.arsystel.com/kalvaro/mozilla-1.7.2-installer.png


    > If you click No, then you might have some compatibility problems with
    > the New version and the Old version.


    I actually prefer to keep my old extensions and reinstall Mozilla if I find
    problems (which has never been the case) rather than reinstalling all my
    extensions one by one every time I update.

    --
    --
    -+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain - ICQ 46788716
    +- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor para mayores de 100 años)
    ++ «Sonríe, que te vamos a hacer una foto para la esquela»
    --
     
    Alvaro G. Vicario, Aug 16, 2004
    #16
  17. Skip

    Andreas Guest

    Alvaro G. Vicario wrote:

    > *** Andreas escribió/wrote (Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:47:27 -0700):
    >
    >>>Mozilla doesn't remove extensions without your permission: you're prompted
    >>>about it.
    >>>

    >>
    >>You're asked it you want to remove your old program settings. I believe
    >>you're given 3 choices, Continue (or is it OK), No, or Cancel.

    >
    >
    > I had a problem with an extension and had to reinstall, so I was able to
    > write down the exact words:
    >
    > "Unrecognized 3rd party extensions will be removed from this directory to
    > prevent version incompatibilities and will have to be reinstalled. Your
    > Mozilla profile information will not be affected"
    >
    > [Continue] [Skip] [< Back]
    >
    >
    > This is the Windows installer, by the way. Others might differ.
    >
    > Screenshot:
    > http://usuarios.arsystel.com/kalvaro/mozilla-1.7.2-installer.png
    >
    >
    >
    >>If you click No, then you might have some compatibility problems with
    >>the New version and the Old version.

    >
    >
    > I actually prefer to keep my old extensions and reinstall Mozilla if I find
    > problems (which has never been the case) rather than reinstalling all my
    > extensions one by one every time I update.
    >

    If you installed your extensions in the profile, then you don't have to
    reinstall them all the time. If you installed them in the program
    directory, then yes, you will have to reinstall them.

    Andreas
    --
    Information wanted: http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
     
    Andreas, Aug 16, 2004
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Research: File-sharers big legal download spenders.

    Silverstrand, Jul 27, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    788
    Silverstrand
    Jul 27, 2005
  2. idownweb.com

    Picasa,Google Picasa,Picasa download,Google Picasa download

    idownweb.com, Nov 29, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    522
  3. lbbss
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    789
    Liza Smorgaborgsson
    Jan 30, 2006
  4. idownweb.com
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    608
    samuel
    Nov 30, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXM=?=

    Vista 32 bit download to 64 bit download

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXM=?=, Feb 3, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    583
    John Barnes
    Feb 4, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page