    I have an on board 56k modem, and whenever I download anything, it averages
    out at 4.5k ps download speed. Is there any way I can speed up the download
    time without additional hardware or more expensive connections..?
    Blip!, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Blip!

    Patrick Guest

    Blip! wrote:
    > I have an on board 56k modem, and whenever I download anything, it
    > averages out at 4.5k ps download speed. Is there any way I can speed
    > up the download time without additional hardware or more expensive
    > connections..?

    I used to get a figure of 4.66 quite consistently, which I considered pretty
    reasonable, (BB now).
    Presumeably 56K must mean 56K bits and the 4.5K must mean 4.5K bytes. So
    your getting 45K out of possible 56K.
    Patrick, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Blip!

    Jimchip Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:17:12 +0100, Blip! wrote:
    > I have an on board 56k modem, and whenever I download anything, it averages
    > out at 4.5k ps download speed. Is there any way I can speed up the download
    > time without additional hardware or more expensive connections..?

    You won't get much more, even after some tweaking. 4.5k is respectable,
    4.8 to 4.9 are typical highest values.

    --
    Symptom: Drinking fails to give taste and satisfaction,
    beer is unusually pale and clear.

    Diagnosis: Glass empty.
    Jimchip, Aug 21, 2003