Download Speeds

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Warfyzz, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Warfyzz

    Warfyzz Guest

    Hi Everyone

    I have a very simple Computer system with a 56 Kb modem that I've used with
    no problems for months now.
    BT are installing ASDL to the village but because I am a carer and on a
    fixed income I find the cost to be too high, so have to stay on Pay As You
    Go and use the Internet sparingly during the evenings and weekends..

    But I've noticed recently that the download speeds fluctuate between 4.87
    Kb/per sec, even down to 3.47 Kb. Is this reasonable? As it seems
    everything is slowing down and downloads take ages? Perhaps it's a way of BT
    forcing everyone to take ASDL

    I had an astronimical phone bill last quarter and I am positive that I
    didn't use the Internet any more than the previous. I have Virus and
    Firewall control installed but I wondered if a Dialler might be installed
    without my knowledge as no-one else uses my computer.
    Is there any way that I can check for diallers? Are they 'hidden' in the
    system or something?

    Many thanks for any advice or help
    Warfy

    Warfyzz, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Warfyzz

    Avenger© Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:47:12 +0000 (UTC), "Warfyzz"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Everyone
    >
    >I have a very simple Computer system with a 56 Kb modem that I've used with
    >no problems for months now.
    >BT are installing ASDL to the village but because I am a carer and on a
    >fixed income I find the cost to be too high, so have to stay on Pay As You
    >Go and use the Internet sparingly during the evenings and weekends..
    >
    >But I've noticed recently that the download speeds fluctuate between 4.87
    >Kb/per sec, even down to 3.47 Kb. Is this reasonable? As it seems
    >everything is slowing down and downloads take ages? Perhaps it's a way of BT
    >forcing everyone to take ASDL
    >
    > I had an astronimical phone bill last quarter and I am positive that I
    >didn't use the Internet any more than the previous. I have Virus and
    >Firewall control installed but I wondered if a Dialler might be installed
    >without my knowledge as no-one else uses my computer.
    >Is there any way that I can check for diallers? Are they 'hidden' in the
    >system or something?
    >
    >Many thanks for any advice or help
    >Warfy

    Thanks to Mike.
    Download, then update (after install) and use *all* of the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    Pest Patrol
    http://pestpatrol.com/

    and possibly:

    Stinger Virus Removal Tool
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    --
    Avenger©

    "Put the CAT out to reply"
    *I DETEST Spam - A Spam Hater since 1951*

    Avenger©, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Warfyzz

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:47:12 +0000 (UTC), Warfyzz wrote:

    >Hi Everyone
    >
    >I have a very simple Computer system with a 56 Kb modem that I've used with
    >no problems for months now.

    The 56k modem speed is in theory a 1 way max if both ends are talking
    the same command set, the modems / drivers have been upgraded to support
    56k, although old try http://www.56k.com/

    <snip>

    >But I've noticed recently that the download speeds fluctuate between 4.87
    >Kb/per sec, even down to 3.47 Kb. Is this reasonable? As it seems

    Watch your units here, you are using Kb for the 56 and your 4-3 download
    speed. The modem 56 is in bits ( www.webopedia.com ) the d/l speed is
    most likely shown in bytes.

    So an in theory 56Kbits / 8 (bits per byte) = 7KBytes compared to your
    4.8. Sometimes dividing by 10 is used as there are control bits in the
    data, which would give 5.6KBytes so your 4.87 is quite good.

    >everything is slowing down and downloads take ages? Perhaps it's a way of BT
    >forcing everyone to take ASDL

    > I had an astronimical phone bill last quarter and I am positive that I
    >didn't use the Internet any more than the previous. I have Virus and
    >Firewall control installed but I wondered if a Dialler might be installed
    >without my knowledge as no-one else uses my computer.
    >Is there any way that I can check for diallers? Are they 'hidden' in the

    Itemised phone bill?

    >system or something?
    >
    >Many thanks for any advice or help
    >Warfy

    Me

    why?, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Warfyzz

    Parko Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:47:12 +0000, Warfyzz wrote:

    > Hi Everyone
    >
    > I have a very simple Computer system with a 56 Kb modem that I've used with
    > no problems for months now.
    > BT are installing ASDL to the village but because I am a carer and on a
    > fixed income I find the cost to be too high, so have to stay on Pay As You
    > Go and use the Internet sparingly during the evenings and weekends..
    >
    > But I've noticed recently that the download speeds fluctuate between 4.87
    > Kb/per sec, even down to 3.47 Kb. Is this reasonable? As it seems
    > everything is slowing down and downloads take ages? Perhaps it's a way of BT
    > forcing everyone to take ASDL
    >
    > I had an astronimical phone bill last quarter and I am positive that I
    > didn't use the Internet any more than the previous. I have Virus and
    > Firewall control installed but I wondered if a Dialler might be installed
    > without my knowledge as no-one else uses my computer.
    > Is there any way that I can check for diallers? Are they 'hidden' in the
    > system or something?
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice or help
    > Warfy

    If there's any such thing as isolated in the UK (I live in Oz and you know
    the meaning of isolated here), check yout ISP's charge plan. Pay As You Go
    is a dead give away. You could be on a timed plan, or excess download
    charge plan, or you could be being charged STD rates each time you dial
    up. Your dial up download speeds are perfectly normal within the given
    range. ISPs often use 56 Kilo Bits, as opposed to 5.6 Kilo bytes to upsell
    their service. Do run the recommended system checks to be safe. Save any
    logs that are generated and print them. Have at hand past and present
    bills and any written communication you may have received from your ISP,
    this includes hard mail and prints of emails. Then ring your ISP and speak
    to a real person. Knowing as much as, or more than, the dill at the other
    end of the line gives you something rare in the world of the ISP. *Power*

    I did a quick Google of your headers and you might find the following
    links useful.

    http://btopenworld.com/internet
    http://btopenworld.com/welcome/0,8492,,00.html
    http://hercules.btinternet.com/
    An error occurred while loading http://hercules.btinternet.com/:
    Timeout on server
    Connection was to hercules.btinternet.com at port 80

    If there's no reference to Yahoo! in recent communication from your ISP
    you can merrily screw them to the sticking post.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jun 24, 2004
  5. Warfyzz

    britishbull Guest

    Watch your units here, you are using Kb for the 56 and your 4-3 download
    > speed. The modem 56 is in bits ( www.webopedia.com ) the d/l speed is
    > most likely shown in bytes.
    >
    > So an in theory 56Kbits / 8 (bits per byte) = 7KBytes compared to your
    > 4.8. Sometimes dividing by 10 is used as there are control bits in the
    > data, which would give 5.6KBytes so your 4.87 is quite good.

    confused.com?

    cheap as chips

    britishbull, Jun 24, 2004