Download Speed ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob, Dec 25, 2010.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hello,

    Here's one for the "weird category," I think.

    Using Comcast Broadband for internet, and W7.
    Using the hard-wired Port on a LinkSys Router to PC, so PC is Not being
    connected wirelessly.

    All my downloads, and my son's video's, etc. seem to go very fast.
    No complaints.

    But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl.
    Whenever I download from this site, a Text document that is only a few
    hundred lines in length, the download crawls. Would take hours if I
    left it alone. Other sites in Germany that I try go fast.

    But, here's the funny part:

    I have asked others to check out this site on their PC's, and they all
    say it just takes a few seconds to do.

    As all my other downloads go really fast, I cannot imagine what my PC
    thinks might be unique about this site.

    Problem exists for any time of the day or night that I try it.

    Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob, Dec 25, 2010

  2. Bob

    RickMerrill Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Here's one for the "weird category," I think.
    >
    > Using Comcast Broadband for internet, and W7.
    > Using the hard-wired Port on a LinkSys Router to PC, so PC is Not being
    > connected wirelessly.
    >
    > All my downloads, and my son's video's, etc. seem to go very fast.
    > No complaints.
    >
    > But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl.
    > Whenever I download from this site, a Text document that is only a few
    > hundred lines in length, the download crawls. Would take hours if I left
    > it alone. Other sites in Germany that I try go fast.
    >
    > But, here's the funny part:
    >
    > I have asked others to check out this site on their PC's, and they all
    > say it just takes a few seconds to do.
    >
    > As all my other downloads go really fast, I cannot imagine what my PC
    > thinks might be unique about this site.
    >
    > Problem exists for any time of the day or night that I try it.
    >
    > Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Sometimes your browser cache must be emptied before new data can fit. I'd try
    flushing the cache before testing each time.

    Also, do you have any anti-virus s/w that might be scanning the downloads?

    RickMerrill, Dec 25, 2010

  3. Bob

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 17:04:43 -0500, Bob wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Here's one for the "weird category," I think.
    >
    > Using Comcast Broadband for internet, and W7.
    > Using the hard-wired Port on a LinkSys Router to PC, so PC is Not being
    > connected wirelessly.
    >
    > All my downloads, and my son's video's, etc. seem to go very fast.
    > No complaints.
    >
    > But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl.
    > Whenever I download from this site, a Text document that is only a few
    > hundred lines in length, the download crawls. Would take hours if I
    > left it alone. Other sites in Germany that I try go fast.
    >
    > But, here's the funny part:
    >
    > I have asked others to check out this site on their PC's, and they all
    > say it just takes a few seconds to do.
    >
    > As all my other downloads go really fast, I cannot imagine what my PC
    > thinks might be unique about this site.
    >
    > Problem exists for any time of the day or night that I try it.
    >
    > Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Now that I'm on DSL, it's fantastic compared to verizon's wifi crap.
    But when I download a video from youtube, or elsewhere using realplayer, it
    takes about the same time.

    It just could be your ISP or their ISP.

    richard, Dec 25, 2010
  4. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Bob wrote:
    >> All my downloads, and my son's video's, etc. seem to go very fast.
    >> No complaints.
    >>
    >> But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl.

    > It just could be your ISP or their ISP.

    Bob has an ISP. The German site has a web host server.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 25, 2010
  5. Bob wrote:

    > But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl. ...
    >
    > I have asked others to check out this site on their PC's, and they all
    > say it just takes a few seconds to do.

    And you post here, apparently asking readers to test as well, but do not
    bother to mention the URL of the site...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 25, 2010
  6. Bob

    VanguardLH Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > Using Comcast Broadband for internet, and W7.
    >
    > Using the hard-wired Port on a LinkSys Router to PC, so PC is Not being
    > connected wirelessly. All my downloads, and my son's video's, etc. seem to go very fast.
    > No complaints. But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl.
    > Whenever I download from this site, a Text document that is only a few
    > hundred lines in length, the download crawls. Would take hours if I
    > left it alone. Other sites in Germany that I try go fast.
    >
    > I have asked others to check out this site on their PC's, and they all
    > say it just takes a few seconds to do.

    You would have to do a traceroute from your host to the target host.
    Then have the other users do the same for their hosts and the same
    target site. It could be a host in your route is slow or over burdened.
    There's not much you can do because routes are not dynamic (if a host is
    down then that route is down) and you would have to ask your ISP for
    assistance. A slow host does not qualify a route as down so, again, the
    best you could do is ask the ISP to change their routing tables. Only
    if you have the exact set of hosts (hops) between your host as does
    another user can you truly determine that the problem is on your end or
    at the target site.

    Since this is a German site, they may also bias their throttling so best
    response and bandwidth is given to perferred connections (i.e., those in
    their region versus out-of-region, like overseas or out-of-country).
    You never mentioned who are the other users that say their connect speed
    is okay (i.e., where they are located).

    From your *disconnected* other thread (because you started a new thread
    instead of replying here with the URL for the problematic site), I
    tested the download of the text file (actually I just clicked on it to
    display inside the web browser instead of right-clicking on it to save
    to a file). http://www.eibi.de.vu/ and the Text link loaded the
    document immediately. A traceroute from me to the site shows the
    following hops:

    1 ... (my host to my ISP)
    2 : (to Comcast's Chicago hub)
    3 : (via backbone network)
    4 : (to their New York hub)
    5 : (and then overseas)
    6 te-0-2-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.93.129]
    7 pos-2-13-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.87.25]
    8 pos-1-5-0-0-pe01.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net
    9 nyk-s2-rou-1001.us.eurorings.net
    10 nntr-s1-rou-1021.FR.eurorings.net (overseas delay starts here)
    11 nntr-s1-rou-1022.FR.eurorings.net
    12 ffm-s1-rou-1022.DE.eurorings.net
    13 ffm-s1-rou-1021.DE.eurorings.net
    14 nbg-s1-rou-1001.DE.eurorings.net
    15 kpn-gw.hetzner.de
    16 hos-bb2.juniper1.fs.hetzner.de
    17 hos-tr1.ex3k4.rz10.hetzner.de
    18 static.22.70.40.188.clients.your-server.de

    I didn't bother to show the delay times. The longest occured when I
    jumped across the undersea cable on the eurorings.net network from their
    US to their France hosts (delay jumped from 40-60 ms to 158 ms and
    stayed up there since that delay would always be there). Do a
    traceroute and see what delays you see for each host.

    You never mentioned if the OTHER links to documents is similarly just as
    slow to retrieve from this site. If you right-click on the PDF download
    link and select Save Target As, does that download go slow, too?

    Did you ever try running IE in its no add-ons mode? That would
    eliminate some add-on from interfering with the download (perhaps by
    interrogating it or trying to render it rather than let the web
    browser's own window display the text). Text files will simply display
    inside the web browser because they can easily show text files (afer
    all, HTML is nothing by text). Did you try right-clicking on the link
    and selecting Save As to save the download to a file rather than trying
    to get it displayed inside the web browser?

    If you want to see what bandwidth you get with Comcast then use
    Comcast's speed test. Obviously Comcast can only manage and configure
    their own hosts in their own network, so if you see a slow connect using
    their tool then you can report the issue with them. For their speed
    test site, pick the regional hub that is physically closest to you and
    through which you are likely piping your web traffic.

    If you want to see what is you bandwidth outside the Comcast network
    (i.e., to where you connect outside of your ISP's network), use
    speedtest.net. However, the route to a test host could also have a slow
    or over burdened host in it or the target site is busy or slow. Don't
    just always pick the test site they suggest. It may not be the best one
    for speed testing. The physically closest node may not be the fastest
    one to use because its route or host may be slower. It's also possible
    there are most hops from you to the target host in a physically close
    node versus a node farther away (because, for example, you might be
    traversing across a backbone network to the other host rather than
    bouncing around local networks). For example, speedtest.net will
    suggest that I use their Sioux City site but the Chicago site is better
    as my ISP (Comcast) has a highspeed route to Chicago (which is a major
    backbone hub center). Their suggested test site rated me at 12.6 Mbps
    whereas the Chicago site rated me 17.5 Mbps (and Comcast's own site
    rated me at 22 Mbps). Repeated tests will show you that the hosts in
    the route along with the load on the target host will generate
    fluctuating results.

    Speed tests:
    http://speedtest.comcast.net/
    http://www.speedtest.net/

    Make sure when doing the speed testing that no other apps are loaded
    that connect to the network (locally or externally) and there is only
    one instance of the web browser and only one tab opened in it. If you
    have anti-virus software interogating your web traffic, temporarily
    disable it (and anything else that intercepts your web traffic; e.g.,
    firewall, HIPS, proxies, etc). Alas, many speed test sites require
    Flash or other add-ons be enabled and usable so you cannot simply run IE
    in its no add-ons mode to make sure they don't make superfluous
    connections, like for the Google, Bing, or Yahoo Toolbars; however, you
    can disable those add-ons during the test (if you feel they skewed the
    results).

    VanguardLH, Dec 26, 2010
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> pinched out a
    steaming pile of<if5t4m$jec$-september.org>:

    >richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>> All my downloads, and my son's video's, etc. seem to go very fast.
    >>> No complaints.
    >>>
    >>> But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl.

    >> It just could be your ISP or their ISP.

    >Bob has an ISP. The German site has a web host server.

    JIM HAS SOME CHEESE. THE ITALIANS SMELL LIKE GARLIC.

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 26, 2010
  8. Bob

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 18:01:42 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>> All my downloads, and my son's video's, etc. seem to go very fast.
    >>> No complaints.
    >>>
    >>> But, I have one site, in Germany, that downloads at a crawl.

    >> It just could be your ISP or their ISP.

    > Bob has an ISP. The German site has a web host server.

    how do you know the site is being hosted on a commercial service?
    Could be on a home based network.

    richard, Dec 26, 2010
  9. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard the sto0pid wrote:

    >>> It just could be your ISP or their ISP.

    >> Bob has an ISP. The German site has a web host server.

    > how do you know the site is being hosted on a commercial service?
    > Could be on a home based network.

    Please point out where I said the German site was a commercial service.
    One thing that is known *is* that it's a web hosting service. If it
    wasn't, I wouldn't have been able to test "Bob's" web page of text
    (unfortunately, in a separate thread).

    In fact, using certain tools, I've found the name of the host company,
    the IP address, where it is located, and the domain names of all of the
    shared web sites using that server.

    You probably don't know how to do that.

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 26, 2010
  10. Bob

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >In fact, using certain tools, I've found the name of the host company,
    >the IP address, where it is located, and the domain names of all of the
    >shared web sites using that server.
    >
    >You probably don't know how to do that.

    Beyond his 5 minute attention span.

    G. Morgan, Dec 26, 2010
  11. G. Morgan wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> In fact, using certain tools, I've found the name of the host
    >> company, the IP address, where it is located, and the domain names
    >> of all of the shared web sites using that server.
    >>
    >> You [RtS] probably don't know how to do that.

    > Beyond his 5 minute attention span.

    It's that long? <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 26, 2010
  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

    From OP: Re: Download Speed ? [Problem Solved}

    Hi Folks,

    Just thought I'd write with what I've found out about my problem.
    Hopefully, if someone else runs into this, they'll have a place to start
    looking.

    Problem solved now, but I don't really understand why.

    I had my PC connected to the "direct-thru" Port of my Link Sys G Router.
    Not via the Wireless Ports.

    I always thought that this was essentially just a direct connection thru it.

    Apparently not.

    When I took the Router completely out of the picture, and wired the PC
    to the Comcast Modem output spigot directly,
    the eibi database downloading works fine.

    No idea how, or why, the Router messed things up.
    Hard to understand.

    Thanks again for all the help,
    Bob

    Bob, Dec 26, 2010
  13. Re: From OP: Re: Download Speed ? [Problem Solved}

    Bob wrote:

    > Hi Folks,

    Please do not change the Subject Line in a reply. Doing so breaks
    threading for some readers.

    > Just thought I'd write with what I've found out about my problem.
    > Hopefully, if someone else runs into this, they'll have a place to
    > start looking.
    >
    > Problem solved now, but I don't really understand why.
    >
    > I had my PC connected to the "direct-thru" Port of my Link Sys G
    > Router. Not via the Wireless Ports.

    Hopefully, you meant a "LAN" port, as there is no such thing as a
    "direct-thru" port.

    > I always thought that this was essentially just a direct connection
    > thru it. Apparently not.

    Right.

    > When I took the Router completely out of the picture, and wired the
    > PC to the Comcast Modem output spigot directly, the eibi database
    > downloading works fine.

    You mean now the web page loads.

    > No idea how, or why, the Router messed things up. Hard to understand.

    I would say you have a configuration issue, and the router is not at
    fault. You should endeavor to fix the issue, because having your PC
    connected directly to the internet is asking for trouble.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 26, 2010