    if either of these are affecting my speed or not. Anyone have any
    clues? Thanks a lot.

    Darren
    Darren, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Darren

    Chet Guest

    It is probably the long distance connection. You can't get the 52k bits per
    second rate if there is more than one analog to digital conversion anywhere
    along the line. It could also be a noisy connection somewhere along the
    path.

    Chet, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Darren

    Thor Guest

    "Darren" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a 56k modem in my computer and am using it to connect to my
    > colleges dial up networking. I am connecting at anywhere between
    > 50k-52k which seemed good to me. But everything seems to be going
    > slow. I used to connect to dial up at around 48k and could get
    > downloads of around 3.5k/s, but with my 52k connection web pages are
    > are two factors that may play into why its so slow but I dont know
    > what to do about them. First of all, this is the first time this
    > computer has been on dial up since I had it on the high speed network
    > at college. Secondly, I am using the dial up through my college,
    > which is now a long distance call (colorado to michigan). I dont know
    > if either of these are affecting my speed or not. Anyone have any
    > clues? Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren

    It could be that your modem is negotiating a connection speed that is simply
    too fast for the average line conditions. You may be able to use some AT
    commands placed in your moedem's advanced settings to limit the connection
    speed to 48K or so, which may actually improve connection stability and
    throughput. It all depends on what features your modem supports. You'll have
    to find out exactly what kind of modem you have, and then research the
    manufacturer and see if they provide an AT command reference for that model.
    Also try finding a local ISP rather than using one so far away.
    Thor, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Darren

    Thor Guest

    "Chet" <chartley(nospam)> wrote in message
    > It is probably the long distance connection. You can't get the 52k bits

    per
    > second rate if there is more than one analog to digital conversion

    anywhere
    > along the line. It could also be a noisy connection somewhere along the
    > path.

    If there was more than one D/A conversion, it's very unlikely his modem
    could negotiate a 56k-range connection with the host's modem. He would be
    connecting in the 33.6 and lower range.
    Thor, Jul 8, 2004
  5. Darren

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > throughput. It all depends on what features your modem supports.
    > You'll have to find out exactly what kind of modem you have, and then
    > research the manufacturer and see if they provide an AT command
    > reference for that model. Also try finding a local ISP rather than
    > using one so far away.

    For people with this type of problem, we generally tell them to contact
    their telco and get the lines fixed and until then we stick in an AT string
    to drop them to 33.6. In this case I'm not sure how appropriate either of
    those is since it's a long distance call.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jul 8, 2004