download site for an older version

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by john, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. john

    john Guest

    hi
    a friend got 'photo album downloader for yahoo' and it's not working on his
    system.
    current version is 2.6.1.4
    is there a download site available anywhere that he could test out v2.6.1.1
    or another slightly older version?
    i've googled and came up blank.

    thanks for any help.
    j
    john, Jun 29, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. john

    trout Guest

    john wrote:

    > hi
    > a friend got 'photo album downloader for yahoo' and it's not working
    > on his system.
    > current version is 2.6.1.4
    > is there a download site available anywhere that he could test out
    > v2.6.1.1 or another slightly older version?
    > i've googled and came up blank.
    >
    > thanks for any help.
    > j


    If you've been out Googling; I guess you've seen all the 'cracks'
    that became available for the older versions. I'm guessing that this is
    why the authors are going to make sure only the latest version is for
    sale.
    I even tried the links on the German pages, but they all bounce to
    v.2.6.1.4. as well.
    If your friend has purchased the program already; maybe it would be
    easier to find out how to get it working.
    If not, there's probably something else he could use.
    --
    "Although I'd be happy for you, if someone proved me wrong."
    trout, Jun 29, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. john

    john Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    news:bdm593$uebq9$...
    john wrote:

    > hi
    > a friend got 'photo album downloader for yahoo' and it's not working
    > on his system.
    > current version is 2.6.1.4
    > is there a download site available anywhere that he could test out
    > v2.6.1.1 or another slightly older version?
    > i've googled and came up blank.
    >
    > thanks for any help.
    > j


    If you've been out Googling; I guess you've seen all the 'cracks'
    that became available for the older versions. I'm guessing that this is
    why the authors are going to make sure only the latest version is for
    sale.
    I even tried the links on the German pages, but they all bounce to
    v.2.6.1.4. as well.
    If your friend has purchased the program already; maybe it would be
    easier to find out how to get it working.
    If not, there's probably something else he could use.
    --
    "Although I'd be happy for you, if someone proved me wrong."



    i'm not looking for cracks; he bought the 2.6.1.4.
    he's using winME and for some reason he can't get it to work properly.
    my own thot was that the file he received after purchasing would function on
    a slightly older version.
    long ago he had been using a cracked v2.5-something but yahoo system
    changes, etc, meant end of last year it stopped functioning.
    that version worked fine up until system changes rendered it useless.
    the current version doesn't use, e.g., username/password; it's a .lic file
    that gets inserted.
    so he has it, it's legit, and it won't run on his platform and it's making
    him insane :)
    it's a simple program to use, not many options; very straightforward in how
    it functions. i believe he originally installed it over the old v2.5. when
    realising it wasn't operating properly, he ran thru the uninstall, reboot,
    reinstall, but nothing worked.
    now it's uninstalled off his system and i've been hunting for a download
    version just prior to v2.6.1.4 - to no avail.

    i appreciate your help tho, it was nice of you to give it a try.
    j
    john, Jun 29, 2003
    #3
  4. john

    trout Guest

    john wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    > news:bdm593$uebq9$...
    > john wrote:
    >
    >> hi
    >> a friend got 'photo album downloader for yahoo' and it's not working
    >> on his system.
    >> current version is 2.6.1.4
    >> is there a download site available anywhere that he could test out
    >> v2.6.1.1 or another slightly older version?
    >> i've googled and came up blank.
    >>
    >> thanks for any help.
    >> j

    >
    > If you've been out Googling; I guess you've seen all the 'cracks'
    > that became available for the older versions. I'm guessing that this
    > is why the authors are going to make sure only the latest version is
    > for sale.
    > I even tried the links on the German pages, but they all bounce to
    > v.2.6.1.4. as well.
    > If your friend has purchased the program already; maybe it would
    > be easier to find out how to get it working.
    > If not, there's probably something else he could use.


    (John, your post had to be pasted back in, because of the way you
    quoted. My signature delimiter cut off your whole message. As you seem
    to be doing this manually; perhaps it would be better to go to Tools >
    Options > Send; and check "Include message in reply".)

    >i'm not looking for cracks; he bought the 2.6.1.4.

    he's using winME and for some reason he can't get it to work properly.
    my own thot was that the file he received after purchasing would
    function on
    a slightly older version.
    long ago he had been using a cracked v2.5-something but yahoo system
    changes, etc, meant end of last year it stopped functioning.
    that version worked fine up until system changes rendered it useless.
    the current version doesn't use, e.g., username/password; it's a .lic
    file
    that gets inserted.
    so he has it, it's legit, and it won't run on his platform and it's
    making
    him insane :)
    it's a simple program to use, not many options; very straightforward in
    how
    it functions. i believe he originally installed it over the old v2.5.
    when
    realising it wasn't operating properly, he ran thru the uninstall,
    reboot,
    reinstall, but nothing worked.
    now it's uninstalled off his system and i've been hunting for a download
    version just prior to v2.6.1.4 - to no avail.

    i appreciate your help tho, it was nice of you to give it a try.
    j


    Just to be clear; I wasn't suggesting your buddy was up to no good.
    Just theorizing on the reasons the old versions are so hard to find.
    The only thing I can suggest is that he try the uninstall/ reinstall
    again.
    Uninstall, and reboot. Then, I'd advise him to delete the program
    folder (if one remains), and use a registry cleaner to remove all
    remaining traces of the program. A couple of free ones:

    jv16 powertools: <http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml>
    Easycleaner:
    http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm
    (Use caution with either program, and read the FAQs.)

    Finally, reboot again and try the reinstall. Maybe worth a try.
    --
    "Good luck."
    trout, Jun 29, 2003
    #4
  5. john

    john Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    news:bdm952$tocfh$...
    john wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    > news:bdm593$uebq9$...
    > john wrote:
    >
    >> hi
    >> a friend got 'photo album downloader for yahoo' and it's not working
    >> on his system.
    >> current version is 2.6.1.4
    >> is there a download site available anywhere that he could test out
    >> v2.6.1.1 or another slightly older version?
    >> i've googled and came up blank.
    >>
    >> thanks for any help.
    >> j

    >
    > If you've been out Googling; I guess you've seen all the 'cracks'
    > that became available for the older versions. I'm guessing that this
    > is why the authors are going to make sure only the latest version is
    > for sale.
    > I even tried the links on the German pages, but they all bounce to
    > v.2.6.1.4. as well.
    > If your friend has purchased the program already; maybe it would
    > be easier to find out how to get it working.
    > If not, there's probably something else he could use.


    (John, your post had to be pasted back in, because of the way you
    quoted. My signature delimiter cut off your whole message. As you seem
    to be doing this manually; perhaps it would be better to go to Tools >
    Options > Send; and check "Include message in reply".)

    >i'm not looking for cracks; he bought the 2.6.1.4.

    he's using winME and for some reason he can't get it to work properly.
    my own thot was that the file he received after purchasing would
    function on
    a slightly older version.
    long ago he had been using a cracked v2.5-something but yahoo system
    changes, etc, meant end of last year it stopped functioning.
    that version worked fine up until system changes rendered it useless.
    the current version doesn't use, e.g., username/password; it's a .lic
    file
    that gets inserted.
    so he has it, it's legit, and it won't run on his platform and it's
    making
    him insane :)
    it's a simple program to use, not many options; very straightforward in
    how
    it functions. i believe he originally installed it over the old v2.5.
    when
    realising it wasn't operating properly, he ran thru the uninstall,
    reboot,
    reinstall, but nothing worked.
    now it's uninstalled off his system and i've been hunting for a download
    version just prior to v2.6.1.4 - to no avail.

    i appreciate your help tho, it was nice of you to give it a try.
    j


    Just to be clear; I wasn't suggesting your buddy was up to no good.
    Just theorizing on the reasons the old versions are so hard to find.
    The only thing I can suggest is that he try the uninstall/ reinstall
    again.
    Uninstall, and reboot. Then, I'd advise him to delete the program
    folder (if one remains), and use a registry cleaner to remove all
    remaining traces of the program. A couple of free ones:

    jv16 powertools: <http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml>
    Easycleaner:
    http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm
    (Use caution with either program, and read the FAQs.)

    Finally, reboot again and try the reinstall. Maybe worth a try.
    --
    "Good luck."



    i had my settings per your suggestion; don't know why it buggered up on your
    post. altho i think i have characters per line wrong cos sentences keep
    chopping after i post.
    i know you weren't making untoward suggestions; i just elaborated on the
    situation, and what i had been doing/thinking/etc. no worries.
    i'm leery of putting him on a registry cleaner; but i'll download later what
    you've suggested, and run him thru the process of using it. maybe that could
    work. assuming i don't wipe out my own registry in the process of learning
    it :p

    thanks trout :)
    j
    john, Jun 29, 2003
    #5
  6. john

    trout Guest

    john wrote:
    <snip>

    <pasted again>

    i had my settings per your suggestion; don't know why it buggered up on
    your
    post. altho i think i have characters per line wrong cos sentences keep
    chopping after i post.
    i know you weren't making untoward suggestions; i just elaborated on the
    situation, and what i had been doing/thinking/etc. no worries.
    i'm leery of putting him on a registry cleaner; but i'll download later
    what
    you've suggested, and run him thru the process of using it. maybe that
    could
    work. assuming i don't wipe out my own registry in the process of
    learning
    it :p

    thanks trout :)
    j

    Oh. it's getting late here, and I'm a bit slow. I *should* have
    mentioned Tools > Options > Send; and under News Sending Format, click
    the Plain Text Settings button, and check "Indent original text...etc".
    That's also where you can mess with your word-wrap, if you like.
    Don't worry too much about the reg cleaners (Easycleaner may be a
    little, er, easier). Most importantly, just make sure the settings you
    use are to automatically make back-ups, and it's hard to be too
    massively destructive.
    --
    "I know. I've tried."
    trout, Jun 29, 2003
    #6
  7. john

    john Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    news:bdmbta$u9dr3$...
    > john wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > <pasted again>
    >
    > i had my settings per your suggestion; don't know why it buggered up on
    > your
    > post. altho i think i have characters per line wrong cos sentences keep
    > chopping after i post.
    > i know you weren't making untoward suggestions; i just elaborated on the
    > situation, and what i had been doing/thinking/etc. no worries.
    > i'm leery of putting him on a registry cleaner; but i'll download later
    > what
    > you've suggested, and run him thru the process of using it. maybe that
    > could
    > work. assuming i don't wipe out my own registry in the process of
    > learning
    > it :p
    >
    > thanks trout :)
    > j
    >
    > Oh. it's getting late here, and I'm a bit slow. I *should* have
    > mentioned Tools > Options > Send; and under News Sending Format, click
    > the Plain Text Settings button, and check "Indent original text...etc".
    > That's also where you can mess with your word-wrap, if you like.
    > Don't worry too much about the reg cleaners (Easycleaner may be a
    > little, er, easier). Most importantly, just make sure the settings you
    > use are to automatically make back-ups, and it's hard to be too
    > massively destructive.
    > --
    > "I know. I've tried."
    >
    >


    ok i changed the 'tools' option. maybe this works.
    i actually remembering using in the past both the reg cleaners you
    mentioned.
    i downloaded/installed easycleaner; ran it on my own system (i still had the
    old yahoo v2.5 leftover installed; i uninstalled, ran easycleaner, then went
    into regedit and carefully looked at all references and was able to safely
    delete what remained).
    but i also remembered that on winME, he has a feature which can turn his
    regedit back to a past point in time; so i sent him an email saying turn his
    puter's system back 1 week (i think he installed the new version 3 days
    ago), reboot, uninstall the old v2.5, reboot, install the new version, and
    see if it can work properly.
    if it doesn't, i'll send him the link for easycleaner, then get on msn mic
    with him, and slowly run him thru:
    1) clean out all temp files (window washer0
    2) install, run, easycleaner
    3) open regedit, carefully look at all remaining 'photo album downloader'
    references and delete if possible
    4) reboot
    5) reinstall new v2.6.1.4 program, add .lic file
    6) see if it works

    cos otherwise he'll just have to resign himself to not being able to use the
    program.

    oddly, in googling, i came across another program :
    guru's Yahoo Group Downloader Shareware
    10$ usd versus the 30$ usd the other program cost him. and since he's
    retired and funds are limited, i somehow doubt he'll buy it.
    the program is much more complicated to operate than 'photo album' tho :(
    until i'm sure i can't somehow get the 'photo album' program working, i'm
    not going to mention it.

    thanks for all your feedback, trout.
    j
    john, Jun 29, 2003
    #7
  8. john

    barabajackel Guest

    "john" <> wrote in message
    news:QJvLa.10624$...
    > hi
    > a friend got 'photo album downloader for yahoo' and it's not working on

    his
    > system.
    > current version is 2.6.1.4
    > is there a download site available anywhere that he could test out

    v2.6.1.1
    > or another slightly older version?
    > i've googled and came up blank.
    >
    > thanks for any help.
    > j
    >

    http://oldversion.com/
    barabajackel, Jun 29, 2003
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    377
    Stefan Emilius
    Jun 13, 2005
  2. butlercellars

    Older ACS version on Windows Server 2003

    butlercellars, Jan 11, 2006, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,313
    Vivek
    Jan 13, 2006
  3. Douglas C. Neidermeyer

    Installing older version of WIN XP over newer version

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Sep 6, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    565
    Douglas C. Neidermeyer
    Sep 6, 2006
  4. Dil
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,007
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    751
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page