Download question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kev, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Evening all.
    I have a few zips on my site that I want
    people to be able to download individually.
    I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
    the site just specific ones.
    So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
    so that people can't help themselves.
    If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
    I want to be able to send a link so that the download
    window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
    they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
    I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
    access will be available to all the zips.
    In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
    1234.zip
    What link would I send so they can download the
    individual zip.
    Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
    it really is.
    Cheers.
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Kev

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Kev said:

    > Evening all.
    > I have a few zips on my site that I want
    > people to be able to download individually.
    > I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
    > the site just specific ones.
    > So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
    > so that people can't help themselves.
    > If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
    > I want to be able to send a link so that the download
    > window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
    > they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
    > I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
    > access will be available to all the zips.
    > In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
    > 1234.zip
    > What link would I send so they can download the
    > individual zip.
    > Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
    > it really is.
    > Cheers.

    You want people to have a URL, but you don't want them to know what the URL is.
    If you are invited out for a meal in a restaurant, don't you think it would help
    to know where to go?

    You want them to be able to access zip files, but you haven't named them zip.
    Do you really expect people to download files when they can't tell what they
    are?
    At least with zip files, they can be read without saving first.

    You want them to have access to some files but not all of them.
    Create a temporary folder, and only place the files you want to share in that
    folder.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Kev

    Fred Orton Guest

    That would be handled by the security settings of your web server. Usually,
    you define what files can be accessed by users, and what can not - the ones
    that can not are not shown to those that can't access them.

    Hope this helps,

    Fred.

    Fred Orton, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Kev

    Gram Guest

    If you have high level access to your web space you'd want to set the
    permissions on the individual files - where are your files hosted?

    Gram, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Kev

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Kev said:

    > Brian H¹© <> wrote in message
    >> Errrrr...erm... Kev said:
    >>
    >>> Evening all.
    >>> I have a few zips on my site that I want
    >>> people to be able to download individually.
    >>> I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
    >>> the site just specific ones.
    >>> So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
    >>> so that people can't help themselves.
    >>> If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
    >>> I want to be able to send a link so that the download
    >>> window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
    >>> they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
    >>> I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
    >>> access will be available to all the zips.
    >>> In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
    >>> 1234.zip
    >>> What link would I send so they can download the
    >>> individual zip.
    >>> Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
    >>> it really is.
    >>> Cheers.

    >> You want people to have a URL, but you don't want them to know what the URL
    >> is. If you are invited out for a meal in a restaurant, don't you think it
    >> would help to know where to go?
    >>
    >> You want them to be able to access zip files, but you haven't named them zip.
    >> Do you really expect people to download files when they can't tell what they
    >> are?
    >> At least with zip files, they can be read without saving first.
    >>
    >> You want them to have access to some files but not all of them.
    >> Create a temporary folder, and only place the files you want to share in that
    >> folder.

    > Thought I'd have trouble with this one.
    > The people will know what they are downloading
    > as the zips are named, and they've asked for them.
    > I've used 1234 etc. as an example.
    > I've done it myself in the past, I've been sent the link, no URL,
    > "click here," download window appears,save to file and
    > away to go.
    >
    >> Create a temporary folder, and only place the files you want to share in that
    >> folder.

    > That is an option I may have to fall back on, but it looks a lot better the
    > other way.
    > Someone out there must know what I mean and how to do it. :eek:(
    > Cheers.

    If you place an index.html in your root folder linking to specific files in
    sub-folders, *and* place a linkless index.html in the sub-folders, no-one will
    be able to see the contents of the sub-folders, as they will be served the
    linkless index.html by default.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  6. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Gram <> wrote in message
    > If you have high level access to your web space you'd want to set the
    > permissions on the individual files - where are your files hosted?

    Hi Gram.
    Don't even want to go that way.
    Sounds a bit complicated already.
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003
  7. Kev

    Richard Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in message
    > Evening all.
    > I have a few zips on my site that I want
    > people to be able to download individually.
    > I don't want to allow access to all the zips on
    > the site just specific ones.
    > So I don't want to provide a link to the full list
    > so that people can't help themselves.
    > If the zips are called for example 1234 and 5678
    > I want to be able to send a link so that the download
    > window will appear their side i.e. "save to disk" and
    > they would only be able to download 1234 or 5678.
    > I don't want the URL of the site to be shown, otherwise
    > access will be available to all the zips.
    > In my folders, they are just named 1234 and not
    > 1234.zip
    > What link would I send so they can download the
    > individual zip.
    > Appologies for possibly making more out of this than
    > it really is.
    > Cheers.

    assuming you have anonymous FTP capabilities that is. Check with your host.
    But most people would like to know what type of file it is before they
    download it.
    Richard, Jun 23, 2003
  8. Kev

    Kev Guest

    > If you place an index.html in your root folder linking to specific files

    in
    > sub-folders, *and* place a linkless index.html in the sub-folders, no-one

    will
    > be able to see the contents of the sub-folders, as they will be served the
    > linkless index.html by default.

    This sounds about right Brian, now if I could get my head around it.........
    I can put an index page up with links to the individual files.

    The links would lead to the individual zips in separate folders
    named the same as the zips.

    Do you mean activate the links on the index page as and when needed ?

    Losing it a bit here.

    Kev, Jun 23, 2003
  9. Kev

    Kev Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:44:04 +0100, in
    > <bd7hqe$69t$>
    > Kev scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >Thought I'd have trouble with this one.
    > >The people will know what they are downloading
    > >as the zips are named, and they've asked for them.
    > >I've used 1234 etc. as an example.
    > >I've done it myself in the past, I've been sent the
    > >link, no URL, "click here," download window appears,
    > >save to file and away to go.

    > Do you mean just listing them, like so?
    >
    > http://www.some-web-page/1234.zip
    > http://www.some-web-page/3456.zip
    > http://www.some-web-page/5678.zip
    > http://www.some-web-page/7890.zip

    Hi Mike.
    Didn't really want the URL showing, but looks like
    I may have to go that way.
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003
  10. Kev

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:20:26 +0100, in
    <bd7juk$j9e$>
    Kev scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:44:04 +0100, in
    >> <bd7hqe$69t$>
    >> Kev scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >Thought I'd have trouble with this one.
    >> >The people will know what they are downloading
    >> >as the zips are named, and they've asked for them.
    >> >I've used 1234 etc. as an example.
    >> >I've done it myself in the past, I've been sent the
    >> >link, no URL, "click here," download window appears,
    >> >save to file and away to go.

    >> Do you mean just listing them, like so?
    >>
    >> http://www.some-web-page/1234.zip
    >> http://www.some-web-page/3456.zip
    >> http://www.some-web-page/5678.zip
    >> http://www.some-web-page/7890.zip

    >Hi Mike.
    >Didn't really want the URL showing, but looks like
    >I may have to go that way.

    So you mean that you just want 1234.zip to show in
    the browser? If so, just edit the HTML code like so:

    The "Download 1234.zip" is what will be seen, but the url
    will still be visible in the status bar.

    That's if I'm understanding you correctly.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003
  11. Kev

    Kev Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:20:26 +0100, in
    > <bd7juk$j9e$>
    > Kev scrawled:
    >

    > >°Mike° <> wrote in message
    > >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:44:04 +0100, in
    > >> <bd7hqe$69t$>
    > >> Kev scrawled:
    > >>
    > >> <snip>

    > >> Do you mean just listing them, like so?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.some-web-page/1234.zip
    > >> http://www.some-web-page/3456.zip
    > >> http://www.some-web-page/5678.zip
    > >> http://www.some-web-page/7890.zip

    > >Hi Mike.
    > >Didn't really want the URL showing, but looks like
    > >I may have to go that way.
    > >

    > So you mean that you just want 1234.zip to show in
    > the browser? If so, just edit the HTML code like so:

    > The "Download 1234.zip" is what will be seen, but the url
    > will still be visible in the status bar.
    >
    > That's if I'm understanding you correctly.

    > >> http://www.some-web-page/1234.zip
    > >> http://www.some-web-page/3456.zip
    > >> http://www.some-web-page/5678.zip
    > >> http://www.some-web-page/7890.zip

    This is the way I would usually do it if I only had 1 zip to download.
    But in the past I've bought small items which are zippped.
    Guy mails me "got the money" etc. "click here"
    Download window opens or Download Accelerator starts up and
    away to go.
    Browser may open but no URL showing.
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003
  12. Kev

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:52:40 +0100, in
    <bd7lr2$9li$>
    Kev scrawled:

    <snip>

    >This is the way I would usually do it if I only had 1 zip to download.
    >But in the past I've bought small items which are zippped.
    >Guy mails me "got the money" etc. "click here"
    >Download window opens or Download Accelerator starts up and
    >away to go.
    >Browser may open but no URL showing.

    You're not making any sense, to me.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003
  13. Kev

    Kev Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:52:40 +0100, in
    > <bd7lr2$9li$>
    > Kev scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >This is the way I would usually do it if I only had 1 zip to download.
    > >But in the past I've bought small items which are zippped.
    > >Guy mails me "got the money" etc. "click here"
    > >Download window opens or Download Accelerator starts up and
    > >away to go.
    > >Browser may open but no URL showing.

    > You're not making any sense, to me.

    Think I'm going to have to re-think this, I'm confusing myself.
    May have to put them in separate folders, password protected.
    Or have several "start pages" each linking to the separate zips.
    Or one index page and change the links accordingly.
    Probably looks like hard work and pointless to the experts,
    but I'll probably get something sorted in the end.
    Still open to suggestions though.
    Hiding URL not so important now, but need to hide the other
    zips.
    If a Google is done on the disclosed URL, will it also list the
    folders no matter what they are named ?
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003
  14. Kev

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Kev said:

    > °Mike° <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:52:40 +0100, in
    >> <bd7lr2$9li$>
    >> Kev scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> This is the way I would usually do it if I only had 1 zip to download.
    >>> But in the past I've bought small items which are zippped.
    >>> Guy mails me "got the money" etc. "click here"
    >>> Download window opens or Download Accelerator starts up and
    >>> away to go.
    >>> Browser may open but no URL showing.

    >> You're not making any sense, to me.

    > Think I'm going to have to re-think this, I'm confusing myself.
    > May have to put them in separate folders, password protected.
    > Or have several "start pages" each linking to the separate zips.
    > Or one index page and change the links accordingly.
    > Probably looks like hard work and pointless to the experts,
    > but I'll probably get something sorted in the end.
    > Still open to suggestions though.
    > Hiding URL not so important now, but need to hide the other
    > zips.
    > If a Google is done on the disclosed URL, will it also list the
    > folders no matter what they are named ?

    Spiders will only pick up links that show on your pages, so if you have 1,000
    pages and/or files, but only 2 or 3 show on your page(s) then only those 2 or 3
    will be found and archived.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  15. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Brian H¹© <> wrote in message
    > Errrrr...erm... Kev said:
    >
    > > °Mike° <> wrote in message
    > >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:52:40 +0100, in
    > >> <bd7lr2$9li$>
    > >> Kev scrawled:
    > >>
    > >> <snip>

    > >> You're not making any sense, to me.

    > > Think I'm going to have to re-think this, I'm confusing myself.
    > > May have to put them in separate folders, password protected.
    > > Or have several "start pages" each linking to the separate zips.
    > > Or one index page and change the links accordingly.
    > > Probably looks like hard work and pointless to the experts,
    > > but I'll probably get something sorted in the end.
    > > Still open to suggestions though.
    > > Hiding URL not so important now, but need to hide the other
    > > zips.
    > > If a Google is done on the disclosed URL, will it also list the
    > > folders no matter what they are named ?

    > Spiders will only pick up links that show on your pages, so if you have

    1,000
    > pages and/or files, but only 2 or 3 show on your page(s) then only those 2

    or 3
    > will be found and archived.

    How do I get around that.
    If I have 4 pages, each with 1 link to 1 zip,
    will they all be listed.
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003
  16. Kev

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Kev said:

    > Brian H¹© <> wrote in message
    >> Errrrr...erm... Kev said:
    >>
    >>> °Mike° <> wrote in message

    >>> Think I'm going to have to re-think this, I'm confusing myself.
    >>> May have to put them in separate folders, password protected.
    >>> Or have several "start pages" each linking to the separate zips.
    >>> Or one index page and change the links accordingly.
    >>> Probably looks like hard work and pointless to the experts,
    >>> but I'll probably get something sorted in the end.
    >>> Still open to suggestions though.
    >>> Hiding URL not so important now, but need to hide the other
    >>> zips.
    >>> If a Google is done on the disclosed URL, will it also list the
    >>> folders no matter what they are named ?

    >> Spiders will only pick up links that show on your pages, so if you have 1,000
    >> pages and/or files, but only 2 or 3 show on your page(s) then only those 2
    >> or 3 will be found and archived.

    > How do I get around that.
    > If I have 4 pages, each with 1 link to 1 zip,
    > will they all be listed.

    Why not just have 1 page with 4 links?
    And you may only get spiders on your site if you give a link out in a newsgroup.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  17. Kev

    Kev Guest

    >snip<

    > >> Spiders will only pick up links that show on your pages, so if you have

    1,000
    > >> pages and/or files, but only 2 or 3 show on your page(s) then only

    those 2
    > >> or 3 will be found and archived.

    > > How do I get around that.
    > > If I have 4 pages, each with 1 link to 1 zip,
    > > will they all be listed.

    > Why not just have 1 page with 4 links?
    > And you may only get spiders on your site if you give a link out in a

    newsgroup.

    How can I avoid people accessing the 4 zips rather than the 1 that they are
    entitled to.
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003
  18. Kev

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    >> How do I get around that.
    >> If I have 4 pages, each with 1 link to 1 zip,
    >> will they all be listed.

    > Why not just have 1 page with 4 links?
    > And you may only get spiders on your site if you give a link out in a
    > newsgroup.

    Am I missing something here ?
    It seems to be the easiest thing to do but the OP is making a meal of
    nothing at all. And I know almost nothing about it, other than all the crap
    I have uploaded, that cannot be traced.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 23, 2003
  19. Kev

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Kev said:

    >> snip<

    >>> How do I get around that.
    >>> If I have 4 pages, each with 1 link to 1 zip,
    >>> will they all be listed.

    >> Why not just have 1 page with 4 links?
    >> And you may only get spiders on your site if you give a link out in a
    >> newsgroup.

    > How can I avoid people accessing the 4 zips rather than the 1 that they are
    > entitled to.

    Don't put any links on the index page, don't send them to the index page, just
    send them a link with the file they are entitled to.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  20. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Slumpy <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:
    >
    > >> How do I get around that.
    > >> If I have 4 pages, each with 1 link to 1 zip,
    > >> will they all be listed.

    > > Why not just have 1 page with 4 links?
    > > And you may only get spiders on your site if you give a link out in a
    > > newsgroup.

    > Am I missing something here ?
    > It seems to be the easiest thing to do but the OP is making a meal of
    > nothing at all. And I know almost nothing about it, other than all the

    crap
    > I have uploaded, that cannot be traced.

    It probably does seem as if this is going on a bit.
    But if you can't grasp the situation it can seem a
    a little confusing to a novice.
    Would you like to explain what your method is.

    ??
    Kev, Jun 23, 2003