Download problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TomH, Apr 1, 2007.

  1. TomH

    TomH Guest

    I have a problem that is driving me nuts. Downloads of all types
    (http, ftp, via browsers or other client programs) are getting
    corrupted - the bigger the download, the more chance of corruption.
    Sometimes if I retry often enough I finally get a clean download. The
    browser generally works OK, but with occasional garbled pages.

    I have Telewest broadband, a Mororola cable modem and a Belkin
    wireless router. My laptop that connects wirelessly to the router is
    able to download OK. The desktop PC that is giving problems is wired
    to the router. I have tried using a different router port, changing
    the ethernet cable, and even a new NIC card, but no luck.

    I don't have a software firewall running (just the firewall on the
    router) and I've disabled Adblock. I have tried downloading with and
    without free download manager. I have used Avast antivirus, Spybot and
    Ad-aware to check for malware. I have used PC-Pitstop and Speedfan to
    check out the disk and memory, tried DiskDefrag, and also a bootable
    RAM test utility.

    My next ideas are to call the exorcist or change the PC. Does anyone
    have any better suggestions?

    Thank

    TomH, Apr 1, 2007

  2. TomH wrote:

    > I have a problem that is driving me nuts. Downloads of all types
    > (http, ftp, via browsers or other client programs) are getting
    > corrupted - the bigger the download, the more chance of corruption.
    > Sometimes if I retry often enough I finally get a clean download. The
    > browser generally works OK, but with occasional garbled pages.
    >
    > I have Telewest broadband, a Mororola cable modem and a Belkin
    > wireless router. My laptop that connects wirelessly to the router is
    > able to download OK. The desktop PC that is giving problems is wired
    > to the router. I have tried using a different router port, changing
    > the ethernet cable, and even a new NIC card, but no luck.

    Have you tried to change the pci slot of your NIC?
    > My next ideas are to call the exorcist or change the PC. Does anyone
    > have any better suggestions?

    You may try with some linux live cd to make sure your OS isn't corrupted.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 1, 2007

  3. TomH

    old man Guest

    Do you have an nvidea chipset mobo that features Active Armor?
    If so update chipset drivers and or deactivate active armor

    old man, Apr 1, 2007
  4. TomH

    TomH Guest

    On Apr 1, 11:35 am, "old man" <> wrote:
    > Do you have an nvidea chipset mobo that features Active Armor?
    > If so update chipset drivers and or deactivate active armor
    >
    > "TomH" <> wrote in message

    > > I have a problem that is driving me nuts. Downloads of all types
    > > (http, ftp, via browsers or other client programs) are getting
    > > <snip>
    > > RAM test utility.

    > > My next ideas are to call the exorcist or change the PC. Does anyone
    > > have any better suggestions?

    > > Thank

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a Radeon 9600 video card.

    Regards, Tom.

    TomH, Apr 1, 2007