    is a good free download accelerator program that has the features that
    I am looking for and that works good with Mozilla 1.5 and doesn't
    contain any spyware.thanks in advance

    tom, Dec 19, 2003

  2. tom

    Keith Bowes Guest

    tom wrote:
    > I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area or if this
    > question has been asked a thousand times. my situation is I am using
    > Mozilla 1.5 and the built-in download manager that comes with it
    > doesn't quite have some of the features I want, such as the ability to
    > download from multiple sources and the option to pouse a download and
    > continue it later. I would be grateful if someone can tell me if there
    > is a good free download accelerator program that has the features that
    > I am looking for and that works good with Mozilla 1.5 and doesn't
    > contain any spyware.thanks in advance

    wget <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/> is small and works well. I
    use KGet <URL:http://kget.sourceforge.net/>, which is good enough for me
    (GUI and resuming partial downloads is all I want). If you're on
    Windows, you may want to try Star Downloader
    <URL:http://www.stardownloader.com/> (they claim there's no spyware, but
    it's closed source so you don't know whether there is or not).

    Keith Bowes, Dec 19, 2003

  3. tom

    tom Guest

    Keith Bowes <> wrote in message news:<FmwEb.280$d84.157@fe10>...
    > tom wrote:
    > > I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area or if this
    > > question has been asked a thousand times. my situation is I am using
    > > Mozilla 1.5 and the built-in download manager that comes with it
    > > doesn't quite have some of the features I want, such as the ability to
    > > download from multiple sources and the option to pouse a download and
    > > continue it later. I would be grateful if someone can tell me if there
    > > is a good free download accelerator program that has the features that
    > > I am looking for and that works good with Mozilla 1.5 and doesn't
    > > contain any spyware.thanks in advance

    > wget <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/> is small and works well. I
    > use KGet <URL:http://kget.sourceforge.net/>, which is good enough for me
    > (GUI and resuming partial downloads is all I want). If you're on
    > Windows, you may want to try Star Downloader
    > <URL:http://www.stardownloader.com/> (they claim there's no spyware, but
    > it's closed source so you don't know whether there is or not).

    thank's for the information... it looks like the download manager you
    are using is a beta, I think I'll wait until the final release. So
    far as star download, I couldn't find any information on Mozilla's web
    site about whether or not star downloader will work with Mozilla 1.5,
    it only list 1.4, and the link to star downloader's frequently asked
    questions doesn't seem to be working either, so I guess I'll keep
    searching.

    tom, Dec 19, 2003
  4. tom wrote:
    > thank's for the information... it looks like the download manager you
    > are using is a beta, I think I'll wait until the final release. So
    > far as star download, I couldn't find any information on Mozilla's web
    > site about whether or not star downloader will work with Mozilla 1.5,
    > it only list 1.4, and the link to star downloader's frequently asked
    > questions doesn't seem to be working either, so I guess I'll keep
    > searching.

    Why exactly are you afraid to use a beta download manager? What's the
    worst that's going to happen? You're not going to get your download?
    If Star downloader works with 1.4, I'll bet you it works 100% perfectly
    fine with 1.5.
    --
    Brian

    : : b r i a n : :, Dec 19, 2003
  5. tom

    Derald Guest

    (tom) wrote:

    >I would be grateful if someone can tell me if there
    >is a good free download accelerator program that has the features that
    >I am looking for and that works good with Mozilla 1.5 and doesn't
    >contain any spyware.thanks in advance

    Under Win 98se, I use Fresh Download 6.2 from www.freshdevices.com.
    It is registerware with an opt-out. At present, I'm d/l-ing the last
    free version of Octopus from
    ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/filepilot/windows/internet-tools/octopus.zip .
    --
    HTH,
    Derald

    Derald, Dec 19, 2003
  6. tom

    Mark Smith Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:18:06 GMT, Derald wrote:

    > (tom) wrote:
    >
    >>I would be grateful if someone can tell me if there
    >>is a good free download accelerator program that has the features that
    >>I am looking for and that works good with Mozilla 1.5 and doesn't
    >>contain any spyware.thanks in advance

    > Under Win 98se, I use Fresh Download 6.2 from www.freshdevices.com.
    > It is registerware with an opt-out. At present, I'm d/l-ing the last
    > free version of Octopus from
    > ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/filepilot/windows/internet-tools/octopus.zip .

    I also use Fresh Download (V5.6) with Win98se. Very pleased with it.

    Mark

    Mark Smith, Dec 20, 2003
  7. tom

    tom Guest

    : : b r i a n : : <users@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<7ZHEb.5773$Fg.5559@lakeread01>...

    > Why exactly are you afraid to use a beta download manager? What's the
    > worst that's going to happen? You're not going to get your download?
    > If Star downloader works with 1.4, I'll bet you it works 100% perfectly
    > fine with 1.5.

    the answer to that particular question is that I don't like using
    software that is still in beta...that tells me that there is still a
    few bugs in it that needs to be worked out before they go with the
    final. even when they come out with the final, there's still is the
    possibility of them needing to apply a patch every now and then, but
    at least I know that they have pretty much completed the testing
    phased.

    tom, Dec 20, 2003