    Is a website ripper copier specific to a browser?

    I guess not, but just in case, is there such a tool for Firefox?

    Thanks.
    John Doe, Mar 15, 2009

  2. John Doe wrote:
    > Is a website ripper copier specific to a browser?
    >
    > I guess not, but just in case, is there such a tool for Firefox?
    >
    > Thanks.

    no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
    I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

    Another is winhttrack: http://www.httrack.com/

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 15, 2009

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 15, 2009
  4. John Doe

    Mike Jones Guest

    Mike Jones, Mar 15, 2009
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:

    > no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
    > I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

    So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.

    My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    those files.

    How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
    links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
    that page.

    For example... from this page...
    http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    ....it adds "v2" to all of the links.

    Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all other
    link properties text the same?

    Thanks.
    John Doe, Mar 20, 2009
  6. John Doe wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> John Doe wrote:

    >> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
    >> I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

    > So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
    >
    > My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    > those files.
    >
    > How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
    > links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
    > that page.
    >
    > For example... from this page...
    > http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    > ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >
    > Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    > "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all other
    > link properties text the same?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have no idea what you're talking about or how this
    relates to webcopier!

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 20, 2009
  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> John Doe wrote:

    >>> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
    >>> I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

    >> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
    >>
    >> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    >> those files.
    >>
    >> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
    >> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
    >> of links on that page.
    >>
    >> For example... from this page...
    >> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    >> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    >> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
    >> other link properties text the same?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I have no idea what you're talking about or how this
    > relates to webcopier!

    You must be joking.
    John Doe, Mar 20, 2009
  8. John Doe

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to John Doe:

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> John Doe wrote:

    >> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one I use is
    >> webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

    > So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
    >
    > My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to those
    > files.
    >
    > How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
    > links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
    > that page.
    >
    > For example... from this page...
    > http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    > ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >
    > Is there a way to make it replace the domain name "http://vocola.net/"
    > with the local folder name, leaving all other link properties text the
    > same?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Go read up on wget. Its the tool you need.

    --
    *===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    Mike Jones, Mar 20, 2009
  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Mike Jones <> wrote:

    > Responding to John Doe:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>
    >>> John Doe wrote:

    >>> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one I use is
    >>> webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

    >> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
    >>
    >> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    >> those files.
    >>
    >> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
    >> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
    >> of links on that page.
    >>
    >> For example... from this page...
    >> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    >> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    >> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
    >> other link properties text the same?

    > Go read up on wget. Its the tool you need.

    Yeah, I heard you the first time. But seriously... simply replacing
    the domain with the local folder path in links is not rocket science.
    John Doe, Mar 20, 2009
  10. John Doe

    fatsteve Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Mike Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >> Responding to John Doe:

    >>> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
    >>>
    >>> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    >>> those files.
    >>>
    >>> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
    >>> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
    >>> of links on that page.
    >>>
    >>> For example... from this page...
    >>> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    >>> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    >>> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
    >>> other link properties text the same?

    >> Go read up on wget. Its the tool you need.

    > Yeah, I heard you the first time. But seriously... simply replacing
    > the domain with the local folder path in links is not rocket science.

    I used to use Teleport Ultra to download websites and it would change
    the links to correspond with the local folders. Although I found it
    difficult to use at times it did work once it was setup properly.

    Though I haven't used the program Peter recommended, I would almost bet
    that somewhere in the setup is a way to make it change the links to
    the local folders, after all the one of the main points of downloading
    the website is to be able to browse it locally.
    fatsteve, Mar 21, 2009
  11. John Doe

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 2009-03-21 06:51, John Doe wrote:

    > My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    > those files.
    >
    > How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
    > links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
    > that page.

    They could be relative URLs. Once you put the HTML page in a
    different location, the relative URL is interpreted relative
    to this new location.

    Are you positively sure the downloader is re-writing then links,
    like you appear to be claiming?

    A. Did you check the HTML source code?

    B. Have you tried moving the .html file to a different location
    on your hard drive, and seeing whether the link changes with
    the new location?

    > For example... from this page...
    > http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    > ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >
    > Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    > "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all other
    > link properties text the same?

    It is not clear whether
    A. you want the downloader to not re-write links at all, leaving
    them as per the original (be it relative or absolute links)
    or
    B. You want the downloader to convert relative links into absolute
    links (re-writing the HTML), so that when you put the .html
    file in a different location the links are not relative to
    the new location.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Mar 21, 2009
  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:

    >> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    >> those files.
    >>
    >> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
    >> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
    >> of links on that page.

    > They could be relative URLs. Once you put the HTML page in a
    > different location, the relative URL is interpreted relative
    > to this new location.

    Since it will be on my hard drive, it will be in a different
    location.

    > Are you positively sure the downloader is re-writing then links,
    > like you appear to be claiming?

    Of course it is rewriting the links. When you reference a page on your
    hard drive, you cannot use the website link as it was.

    > A. Did you check the HTML source code?

    No, I right clicked and selected Properties.

    > B. Have you tried moving the .html file to a different location
    > on your hard drive, and seeing whether the link changes with
    > the new location?

    Why would a link change when I move a file in Windows?

    >> For example... from this page...
    >> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    >> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    >> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
    >> other link properties text the same?

    > It is not clear whether
    > A. you want the downloader to not re-write links at all, leaving
    > them as per the original (be it relative or absolute links)

    As stated, I do not want the links to remain precisely the same.
    What I want done is in my last short and concise paragraph.

    >> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    >> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
    >> other link properties text the same?

    > B. You want the downloader to convert relative links into
    > absolute
    > links (re-writing the HTML), so that when you put the .html
    > file in a different location the links are not relative to
    > the new location.

    The matter is really very simple IMO. As stated above, I want the
    website copier to replace the domain with the local folder and leave
    everything else the way it is in the link properties.

    Maybe it is rocket science, but it seems very simple to me. Have
    the downloader just replace the link domain name with the folder
    name. Is that difficult to understand?
    John Doe, Mar 22, 2009
  13. John Doe wrote:
    > Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Doe wrote:

    >>> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    >>> those files.
    >>>
    >>> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
    >>> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
    >>> of links on that page.

    >> They could be relative URLs. Once you put the HTML page in a
    >> different location, the relative URL is interpreted relative
    >> to this new location.

    > Since it will be on my hard drive, it will be in a different
    > location.
    >
    >> Are you positively sure the downloader is re-writing then links,
    >> like you appear to be claiming?

    > Of course it is rewriting the links. When you reference a page on your
    > hard drive, you cannot use the website link as it was.
    >
    >> A. Did you check the HTML source code?

    > No, I right clicked and selected Properties.
    >
    >> B. Have you tried moving the .html file to a different location
    >> on your hard drive, and seeing whether the link changes with
    >> the new location?

    > Why would a link change when I move a file in Windows?
    >
    >>> For example... from this page...
    >>> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    >>> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    >>> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
    >>> other link properties text the same?

    >> It is not clear whether
    >> A. you want the downloader to not re-write links at all, leaving
    >> them as per the original (be it relative or absolute links)

    > As stated, I do not want the links to remain precisely the same.
    > What I want done is in my last short and concise paragraph.
    >
    >>> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    >>> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
    >>> other link properties text the same?

    >> B. You want the downloader to convert relative links into
    >> absolute
    >> links (re-writing the HTML), so that when you put the .html
    >> file in a different location the links are not relative to
    >> the new location.

    > The matter is really very simple IMO. As stated above, I want the
    > website copier to replace the domain with the local folder and leave
    > everything else the way it is in the link properties.
    >
    > Maybe it is rocket science, but it seems very simple to me. Have
    > the downloader just replace the link domain name with the folder
    > name. Is that difficult to understand?

    maybe you're making too much of a big deal out of it
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 22, 2009
  14. John Doe

    <> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:
    >> Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    >>> They could be relative URLs. Once you put the HTML page in a
    >>> different location, the relative URL is interpreted relative
    >>> to this new location.

    >> Since it will be on my hard drive, it will be in a different
    >> location.
    >>
    >>> Are you positively sure the downloader is re-writing then links,
    >>> like you appear to be claiming?

    >> Of course it is rewriting the links. When you reference a page on
    >> your hard drive, you cannot use the website link as it was.
    >>
    >>> A. Did you check the HTML source code?

    >> No, I right clicked and selected Properties.
    >>
    >>> B. Have you tried moving the .html file to a different location
    >>> on your hard drive, and seeing whether the link changes with
    >>> the new location?

    >> Why would a link change when I move a file in Windows?

    >>> It is not clear whether
    >>> A. you want the downloader to not re-write links at all,
    >>> leaving
    >>> them as per the original (be it relative or absolute links)

    >> As stated, I do not want the links to remain precisely the same.
    >> What I want done is in my last short and concise paragraph.

    >>> B. You want the downloader to convert relative links into
    >>> absolute
    >>> links (re-writing the HTML), so that when you put the .html
    >>> file in a different location the links are not relative to
    >>> the new location.

    >> The matter is really very simple IMO. As stated above, I want the
    >> website copier to replace the domain with the local folder and
    >> leave everything else the way it is in the link properties.
    >>
    >> Maybe it is rocket science, but it seems very simple to me. Have
    >> the downloader just replace the link domain name with the folder
    >> name. Is that difficult to understand?

    > maybe you're making too much of a big deal out of it

    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you are expecting a very
    difficult question and that mindset does not allow you to comprehend
    a simple question.
    John Doe, Mar 22, 2009