    What do I have left to do other that an XP clean re-install? I have wasted
    so much time.
    Thx
    Mike, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Mike

    John Guest

    Try another product. No, seriously. I'm not being sarcastic.

    I've used 2 different Belkin products. Neither one leaves a good impression.
    The first Belkin WiFi router dies after a few months of use. It wasn't that
    easy to work with when it was working. My second WiFi router is branded
    Ativa but made by Belkin. It's got the same firmware as Belkin. It's cheap
    but I got what I pay for.

    Here are my Ativa router symptoms:

    - Listening to online radio is never smooth. It's choppy (on and off)
    - Watching youtube.com is a challenge because my PCs can never finish
    downloading. It's always stuck half way thru.
    - File download starts fast for the first 1-2 minutes after which it starts
    to slow down considerably before stopping completely
    - I use ethernet cable and switch off the WiFi on my laptop. Tested it...
    same problems.

    So my problem isn't Wireless or PCs. It's a cheap router problem. I removed
    Ativa router and replaced it with Linksys WRT54G. No changes were made on my
    PCs (1 laptop + 1 desktop). No more problems, wired or wireless connections
    are fine now.

    Save yourself some time and a headache. Borrow someone else's router
    temporarily to do the test.

    John, Apr 30, 2008