Download "clog"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I've got a couple of P2P file-sharing programs (Limewire & Etomi) which both
    have the identical problem. When I'm downloading a file, the download will
    cruise along at a reasonable and happy speed for some time, and then,
    without any other action happening on the computer, the download rate will
    slow to a trickle and then stop. (I'm using DSL.)

    I will check my DSL connection-status monitor, and the incoming byte-rate
    will be just about stopped. But if I disconnect the DSL connection (through
    the status window option), and then reconnect, the download will resume at
    pretty high speed. This will last for a few minutes and then slow down once
    more and come to a stop. I can get the download back up to speed every time
    (almost) with a disconnect-reconnect. But for a download of any size, this
    is a real drag.

    The thing about it is that downloading from and/or through any other source
    does not result in this problem. I can download a gigabyte of stuff from
    Microsoft or some shareware site, and the download proceeds at full speed
    until it is complete. It's only in these P2P file-sharing programs that the
    problem arises. I had the same problem with Kazaa, but dumped it in favor
    of Etomi, but that's the same deal. Same with Limewire.

    I should mention that when one of these programs is running, my whole
    computer slows down a lot. Close it, and everything goes back to normal.

    I'm using XP.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Jim Beaver

    PC Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a couple of P2P file-sharing programs (Limewire & Etomi) which
    > both have the identical problem. When I'm downloading a file, the
    > download will cruise along at a reasonable and happy speed for some time,
    > and then, without any other action happening on the computer, the download
    > rate will slow to a trickle and then stop. (I'm using DSL.)
    >
    > I will check my DSL connection-status monitor, and the incoming byte-rate
    > will be just about stopped. But if I disconnect the DSL connection
    > (through the status window option), and then reconnect, the download will
    > resume at pretty high speed. This will last for a few minutes and then
    > slow down once more and come to a stop. I can get the download back up to
    > speed every time (almost) with a disconnect-reconnect. But for a download
    > of any size, this is a real drag.
    >
    > The thing about it is that downloading from and/or through any other
    > source does not result in this problem. I can download a gigabyte of
    > stuff from Microsoft or some shareware site, and the download proceeds at
    > full speed until it is complete. It's only in these P2P file-sharing
    > programs that the problem arises. I had the same problem with Kazaa, but
    > dumped it in favor of Etomi, but that's the same deal. Same with
    > Limewire.
    >
    > I should mention that when one of these programs is running, my whole
    > computer slows down a lot. Close it, and everything goes back to normal.
    >
    > I'm using XP.
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    Jim

    Two thoughts come to mind:

    1 Your ISP is rate limiting P2P and is just taking a few minutes to find you
    each time you disconnect/reconnect.
    2 Of course your PC will slow down with P2P running, a: it's busy 'serving'
    P2P files, b: it's busy running spyware.

    Paul.
    PC, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Jim Beaver

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in

    > I've got a couple of P2P file-sharing programs (Limewire & Etomi)
    > which both have the identical problem. When I'm downloading a file,
    > the download will cruise along at a reasonable and happy speed for
    > some time, and then, without any other action happening on the
    > computer, the download rate will slow to a trickle and then stop.
    > (I'm using DSL.)
    >
    > I will check my DSL connection-status monitor, and the incoming
    > byte-rate will be just about stopped. But if I disconnect the DSL
    > connection (through the status window option), and then reconnect, the
    > download will resume at pretty high speed. This will last for a few
    > minutes and then slow down once more and come to a stop. I can get
    > the download back up to speed every time (almost) with a
    > disconnect-reconnect. But for a download of any size, this is a real
    > drag.
    >
    > The thing about it is that downloading from and/or through any other
    > source does not result in this problem. I can download a gigabyte of
    > stuff from Microsoft or some shareware site, and the download proceeds
    > at full speed until it is complete. It's only in these P2P
    > file-sharing programs that the problem arises. I had the same problem
    > with Kazaa, but dumped it in favor of Etomi, but that's the same deal.
    > Same with Limewire.
    >
    > I should mention that when one of these programs is running, my whole
    > computer slows down a lot. Close it, and everything goes back to
    > normal.
    >
    > I'm using XP.

    Have you bandwidth limited your upload within the p2p applications?

    If you haven't, your upstream will saturate, the TCP ACKs for your
    downloads will be delayed and your downloads will slow. To start with,
    try a limit of 50% of your upstream capacity.

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    "fred-bloggs" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've got a couple of P2P file-sharing programs (Limewire & Etomi)
    >> which both have the identical problem. When I'm downloading a file,
    >> the download will cruise along at a reasonable and happy speed for
    >> some time, and then, without any other action happening on the
    >> computer, the download rate will slow to a trickle and then stop.
    >> (I'm using DSL.)
    >>
    >> I will check my DSL connection-status monitor, and the incoming
    >> byte-rate will be just about stopped. But if I disconnect the DSL
    >> connection (through the status window option), and then reconnect, the
    >> download will resume at pretty high speed. This will last for a few
    >> minutes and then slow down once more and come to a stop. I can get
    >> the download back up to speed every time (almost) with a
    >> disconnect-reconnect. But for a download of any size, this is a real
    >> drag.
    >>
    >> The thing about it is that downloading from and/or through any other
    >> source does not result in this problem. I can download a gigabyte of
    >> stuff from Microsoft or some shareware site, and the download proceeds
    >> at full speed until it is complete. It's only in these P2P
    >> file-sharing programs that the problem arises. I had the same problem
    >> with Kazaa, but dumped it in favor of Etomi, but that's the same deal.
    >> Same with Limewire.
    >>
    >> I should mention that when one of these programs is running, my whole
    >> computer slows down a lot. Close it, and everything goes back to
    >> normal.
    >>
    >> I'm using XP.
    >>

    > Have you bandwidth limited your upload within the p2p applications?
    >
    > If you haven't, your upstream will saturate, the TCP ACKs for your
    > downloads will be delayed and your downloads will slow. To start with,
    > try a limit of 50% of your upstream capacity.

    How do I do that? Within the p2p program, or within my OS?

    Thanks.

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Jim Beaver

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in

    > "fred-bloggs" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I've got a couple of P2P file-sharing programs (Limewire & Etomi)
    >>> which both have the identical problem. When I'm downloading a file,
    >>> the download will cruise along at a reasonable and happy speed for
    >>> some time, and then, without any other action happening on the
    >>> computer, the download rate will slow to a trickle and then stop.
    >>> (I'm using DSL.)
    >>>
    >>> I will check my DSL connection-status monitor, and the incoming
    >>> byte-rate will be just about stopped. But if I disconnect the DSL
    >>> connection (through the status window option), and then reconnect,
    >>> the download will resume at pretty high speed. This will last for a
    >>> few minutes and then slow down once more and come to a stop. I can
    >>> get the download back up to speed every time (almost) with a
    >>> disconnect-reconnect. But for a download of any size, this is a
    >>> real drag.
    >>>
    >>> The thing about it is that downloading from and/or through any other
    >>> source does not result in this problem. I can download a gigabyte
    >>> of stuff from Microsoft or some shareware site, and the download
    >>> proceeds at full speed until it is complete. It's only in these P2P
    >>> file-sharing programs that the problem arises. I had the same
    >>> problem with Kazaa, but dumped it in favor of Etomi, but that's the
    >>> same deal.
    >>> Same with Limewire.
    >>>
    >>> I should mention that when one of these programs is running, my
    >>> whole computer slows down a lot. Close it, and everything goes back
    >>> to normal.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using XP.
    >>>

    >> Have you bandwidth limited your upload within the p2p applications?
    >>
    >> If you haven't, your upstream will saturate, the TCP ACKs for your
    >> downloads will be delayed and your downloads will slow. To start
    >> with, try a limit of 50% of your upstream capacity.

    > How do I do that? Within the p2p program, or within my OS?

    Within the application.

    Limewire
    http://www.limewire.com/english/content/ug49/ug_options.shtml
    Options>Uploads>Basic>Upload Bandwidth